Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2016, 10:54 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl096 View Post
snippet from: http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/und...rcycle-engines

By nature, all four-stroke engines require ventilated crankcases. The reason is twofold. First, when an engine is started or run at low temperatures, condensation takes place and fuel vapors migrate into the crankcase. These contaminants, essentially water and raw gasoline, mix with the oil to form engine-damaging sludge. Fortunately, once the engine reaches operating temperature the water turns to steam and the fuel remnants percolate out of the oil. As long as the crankcase is vented, either by the atmosphere or by using a positive-pressure system, these nasty byproducts are free to drift out of the engine and go their merry way without causing any harm.

With that in mind, combining it with the theory that our bikes are running too cool and possibly in need of a bypass it just makes sense to me there is a constant battle going on in the OCS with condensation and as Detours has theorized perhaps our OCS is becoming overwhelmed and some of the re-condensed fuel is dribbled back into the crankcase. My thought is by directly feeding this air/fuel vapor mixture to the airbox the suction will not allow time for it to re-condense and will be burnt up in combustion. . . . . . Thoughts ? ? ? ?
It sounds logical to me, but I'm not an engine...eer..

I have just completed an oil change this afternoon, and have eliminated the OCS.

However, I am returning to FL in the morning, and won't be back in NC to test it out for a few weeks.

jb

Old 07-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
I read somewhere that NC250 was an original design by Piaggio, commissioned by Zongshen for the RX3 (I'll look for the link but it was a while ago). Do you have more info on a Honda clone connection?

Edit: I found these references to the origin of the NC250 but none definitively state the design origin of the engine. I'll keep looking tho, cause I'm manic that way
Don't beat yourself up over it detours. My error. I was under the impression (or thought I'd read here from Spud) that this NC250 motor was a Honda clone of an older model. If not, again my error.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-03-2016, 10:01 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
I'm following this topic with great interest.

But I am pretty sure that the RX3 engine is not a Honda clone.

According to Joe Berk's book, the engine is a new design delveloped by an Italian firm for Zongshen.

Regardless, the crankcase vent on my TW200 and DR650 go directly to the airbox, but they are carbureted engines, not fuel injected, if that makes any difference.

jb
Yep...as I also explained to detours, I'd thought I may have read something here about it being on older Honda clone. My mistake on that. Please disregard.
Regarding venting, before this recirc/OCS, etc... I remember just venting it to the ground and "nuf said"!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Yep...as I also explained to detours, I'd thought I may have read something here about it being on older Honda clone. My mistake on that. Please disregard.
Regarding venting, before this recirc/OCS, etc... I remember just venting it to the ground and "nuf said"!
If my oil analysis at 1000 miles indicates unacceptable levels of fuel in the oil then straight to the ground is my next step.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 07-19-2016, 09:49 PM   #50

Did my first valve job. I'm at about 380 miles, but had to move the tank out of the way to install my Oxford heated grips on my new CSC bars they just sent me. The valve job took me about 2 hrs all told. The plastics were the hardest part. All were at .08 ml. I just used the cam chain ports that say IL and RL (or something like that) I've seen the pic here, and it made it easier. I couldn't remember which way to rotate the engine though. I did it counter clockwise. It wasn't fun, but it wasn't horrible. I'll re check it at 1000 miles. Then 2500. I'll change the oil again at 500 because I noticed the level has risen, and there is evidence of gas in the OCS tube, but it drained out the bottom. I sealed it up better to get an idea of the drainage. I'm anticipating reviews from those of you that have removed it. Not sure if the RX3 FI bikes in other countries have them...does anyone know?