Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2016, 02:31 PM   #1

Voltage ?

Please don't laugh too hard, because I really don't understand the electrics of the bike.

A little while ago I was having trouble starting my bike, which I assumed was a weak battery. The valves had been adjusted only 800 miles ago and the bike was running great once I got it started. The bike starts immediately with the new battery.

At that time I didn't have a Multimeter available to test the battery. I ordered and received a multimeter today.

I charged the OEM battery and kept it in my shed. I just tested it and it read 12.7 Volts.

Then I took the seat off the mighty RX3 and tested my new battery. I just returned home after a pleasant ride to breakfast. The new battery read 13.7 Volts (engine off) and 14.7 Volts with the bike idling.

I understood that the RX3 was suppose to have between 12.5 - 13 Volts

Is my bike charging too much? What should the Volt meter read?

I'm using an Etekcity MSR-R500 digital multimeter.

Thanks

Old 04-06-2016, 03:03 PM   #2

Don't worry just yet; your bike is probably operating perfectly.

The stator and regulator/rectifier will charge the motocycle at 14.7 volts while the engine is running at higher rpms. At lower engine speeds, the charging voltage should be lower. As long as you don't exceed a charging voltage of 14.7 volts, the bike is charging the battery properly.

Immediately upon turning the bike off, the battery voltage will be a little high. However, after the bike rests for an hour or so, the voltage of a new battery will stabilize around 12.8 volts.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-06-2016, 11:34 PM   #3

BTW, those were excellent questions, Dave. You never know whom else might benefit from reading this thread.

To expand on your findings, if you ever suspect that your bike isn't charging the battery, test the battery with the bike off, and then again with it running. If you don't see an increase in voltage with the bike running, it's not charging the battery.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-07-2016, 01:07 AM   #4

I got one of these off Ebay and they work great for seeing what your voltage is doing. Do a search for them and you can see pics of the other side that shows the voltage in an LCD window. So small I leave it on one of my battery tender leads all the time. rj

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-Tend...tWUigy&vxp=mtr

Old 04-07-2016, 01:17 AM   #5

I picked this up for my 12v plug I installed in my dash. So far so good.
http://www.amazon.com/Charger-Voltme...ilpage_o06_s00
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-31-2016, 11:38 PM   #6

voltage regulator/charging unit

I replaced my battery cause it was too weak for three, four starts in a short time.....after 1 week I face the same problem, then I checked the charging voltage....13,5 ...that should be too low, and even when I unscrew the battery the voltage is not increasing....should I change the charging unit (under the seat)

Zongshen RX3

Old 08-01-2016, 12:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fucco View Post
I replaced my battery cause it was too weak for three, four starts in a short time.....after 1 week I face the same problem, then I checked the charging voltage....13,5 ...that should be too low, and even when I unscrew the battery the voltage is not increasing....should I change the charging unit (under the seat)

Zongshen RX3
First check all connections in the charging system, including that the mount for the regulator is clean and has good connection to ground. Sometimes a pin inside a connector doesn't get locked in place and does not make full contact. Also check the end of the battery negative cable that attaches to the engine is clean and secure.

If you don't find a problem with any connections, then test the charging system with a meter at each component to find which part is not working correctly.

Keep them bright and keep them tight. Good luck.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:04 AM   #8

I have learned an enormous amount from these forums... so, here's my question...when riding, I'm at 14.2 - 14.3 volts. Still within normal range?

Old 08-01-2016, 10:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureDad View Post
I have learned an enormous amount from these forums... so, here's my question...when riding, I'm at 14.2 - 14.3 volts. Still within normal range?
That's a normal range for voltage with the engine at highway speed. If you were seeing 15V THAT would be too high.

Peter Y.