Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2018, 03:50 PM   #181

2LZ no problems registering or insuring the xf in CA. Is your Q registered as a Qingqi or Qlink? Mine was initially registered as an SSR but when I moved to Nevada for a bit they changed the make to Pioneer Shandong on the registration. Oh, how hard is it to change the fork oil on the Qingqi inverted forks? I believe I saw some photos of your Q forks here at some point and mine are felling a little tired.

The Lextek exhaust system is a nice exact fit kit but yeah it's a bit pricy with the UK Shipping.I have seen some people using a Powercore 4
on these bikes and they sound pretty cool.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:40 AM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekon2s View Post
I do have the stock exhaust I drilled the baffle out of. I am looking at a lextek system, but it's about 300 bucks. I didn't do any sustained wide open throttle, it was a couple quick pulls. The breakin says to keep it under 6k rpm.

Yea, that stupid wire band doesn't like to seat very well on the airbox. I think it's supported well enough from the clamp on the engine side to hold it in place. Has anyone else had issues with this?
If it's a CD carb, the intake manifold will rip unless you support the carb. If you go this route, you might have trouble dialing it in jet wise. CV carbs are typically supported tore and aft. If I remember right, everyone that had tried a pod filter switched back because of all of the issues.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 05-18-2018, 11:14 PM   #183

main jet

Decided to swap from a 125 to a 130 main jet, has the 38 pilot in it. Is turning it out/counter clockwise giving it more or less fuel? It seems to be running good. I did consider going to the 132.5 or 135. I don't remember which jet came with the kit. I'll probably upgrade it to the lextek exhaust, i want a full system on it for as much HP as I can get without tearing into the engine. I donno if you can go to a thinner headgasket/deck the head to bump the compression, or if there are camshaft options to make more power? I have no idea where to look for performance parts for this thing, but I assume there are some out there.

In other news, have you guys seen those Benelli TNT 135s? Holy crap they are cool. About 600 more than a Razkull, 135cc, 4v head, fuel injection, 5 speed, dual spark.
2003 Honda XR70
20XX SSR 125 Pit Bike
2011 Ninja ZX6R - Stolen
1996 Honda VFR750F - Sold -
2004 Suzuki GSXR750 -Totaled-

Bunch of cars and trucks. lol

Old 05-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #184

Quote:

In other news, have you guys seen those Benelli TNT 135s? Holy crap they are cool. About 600 more than a Razkull, 135cc, 4v head, fuel injection, 5 speed, dual spark.
I am eagerly waiting to see the Lifan KP Mini 150 at my 'local' dealership, Kronik Racing in Simi Valley (coincidentally where dh bought his XF250 off the showroom floor, but they no longer carry SSR products). Less tech than the Benelli, but California freeway legal since it is a 150cc engine (technically 149cc, and I believe California is technically 151cc to be freeway legal, but who is counting? Benelli is only 135cc so no go for freeways...)

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-20-2018, 09:58 PM   #185

Derekon I think the 130 main jet is definitely worth a try. I tried going as high as 135 but that was just too much. I think I have a 132.5 in the bike now.

I think the way to go for exhaust is to buy the stainless steel link pipe from Lextek for about $50 and then buy a universal slip on muffler from a shop or amazon for much less. I can't imagine a muffler shop would fabricate anything like that for under $50.

https://www.lextekproducts.com/LNKPP...ADRENALINE+250

There is a guy on youtube with a vid of his xf250 with a powercore 4 mounted and he used a 1.75" to 2" adapter, then welded in a short length of 2" tubing and brackets and then the new silencer.

Culcune it would be interesting to find out what happened with Kronik racing and SSR. Kronik was supposedly the first SSR dealer in the country but I wonder if the smaller dealers might be feeling a little neglected as SSR is being sold by big brand dealers now. Any idea on price for the Lifan 150? Oh Simi Valley Cycles is selling SSR now so when you go to Simi you should check them out too.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:11 AM   #186

The gentleman I spoke with on the phone, Pete, said that SSR has been raising prices on their bikes. The son of the founder of SSR took over and the sales manager is a former Suzuki dealer rep, and they decided to simply raise prices. Pete said they had a good deal on one of the basic pitbikes, selling it for $999. He said they were selling dozens a month. Then, SSR raised the wholesale price to where he would have to sell the same bike for $1799.

The Lifan is MSRP at $2k, although the 2018 might try to capitalize on the CARB certificate and bump up the MSRP. Pete had an interesting perspective when we were discussing it--he is of the belief it is not a Grom beater, as he feels it is not in the same class as a Grom due to it NOT having a horizontal engine...so comparing a Grom to a KP Mini, in his opinion is like comparing oranges to apples. I didn't want to argue with him, but I feel any mini motorcycle is in the same league; I coined them GLV or Grom-like vehicles. As far as I am concerned, I might want one no matter what they compare to or not.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Last edited by culcune; 05-21-2018 at 12:43 AM.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:04 AM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
The gentleman I spoke with on the phone, Pete, said that SSR has been raising prices on their bikes. The son of the founder of SSR took over and the sales manager is a former Suzuki dealer rep, and they decided to simply raise prices. Pete said they had a good deal on one of the basic pitbikes, selling it for $999. He said they were selling dozens a month. Then, SSR raised the wholesale price to where he would have to sell the same bike for $1799.
Same old story repeats itself. Somebody builds up a business to be decently successful, then somebody, usually a child or relative, takes over and sees dollar signs and jacks up the prices to try and increase revenue. They kill their sales and either tank or try to recover. The only reason people buy SSR bikes is because they are a decent quality for a good price. Now the good price factor is gone, and the quality has not gone up with it. Nice knowing you SSR.

Also, I agree with you. The KP Mini is a Grom beater. Just because the engine is vertical, doesn't mean it isn't in the same class. Plenty of Grom owners opt for big bore kits and 4 valve heads to achieve what the Lifan basically comes with stock.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:26 AM   #188

I popped the 130 in and seems a bit better. I really think the exhaust is still probably too restrictive, even after drilling out the baffle, so I think i'll go after that header pipe. I can fabricate whatever after that.

Yea, I don't really see how the KP mini could be not compared to a GROM, just because it has a vertical engine doesn't really matter. Still in the same style, weight, displacement, etc. There is a dealer about an hour and a half away that has one for 2300, but i was reconsidering after seeing the Benelli. As much as I want one, I'll either just keep the 250 or sell it to get the Lifan/Benelli. The Razkull is 2k, the KP Mini is 2300-ish, and the Benelli is like 2500. So it's hard not to spend the extra couple hundred bucks to get alot more bike, in my opinion, but i can understand what you're saying about highway use there. I donno how happy the mini would be at highway speeds. I did find Aliexpress and they actually have a good selection of parts for these bikes, as they are much more popular over in Malaysia and such.
2003 Honda XR70
20XX SSR 125 Pit Bike
2011 Ninja ZX6R - Stolen

Old 05-21-2018, 09:38 AM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
The only reason people buy SSR bikes is because they are a decent quality for a good price. Now the good price factor is gone, and the quality has not gone up with it. Nice knowing you SSR.
Megadan we don't have many Chinabike options here in CA so I hope you are wrong. I wouldn't say the good price factor is gone at all. While this dealer says prices have skyrocketed, the SSR website MSRP's tell a different story so let's wait and see.

I have seen the price of all chinabikes go up over the last several years and this should be expected over time. The xf250 msrp has only increased $150 since it came out 5 years ago which is pretty minimal. For some comparison the CSC RX3 price has increased by over $1000 since its release and the TT250 price increased by several hundred and they still seem to be selling fine.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:39 AM   #190

I was thinking pretty hard about buying that Boom 125 - Pete could send it to me for about 1040 shipped. I know they need some work out of the box, but after a carb and exhaust upgrade, they seem like they're just as good as the other "GLVS" lol.

Culcune - This reminded me of the green goblin thing in spiderman, so I made a meme for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GLVjameson.jpg (19.4 KB, 959 views)
2003 Honda XR70
20XX SSR 125 Pit Bike
2011 Ninja ZX6R - Stolen

Old 05-21-2018, 09:53 AM   #191

Derekon is that price for one of the new 2016's?

I agree with you that the exhaust is a problem on these bikes. I saw a pic once of one cut open and it really just looked like an automotive style automotive catalytic converter inside. It must be what makes it legal here in CA though.

Now it's time to go check the oil and chain on the XF for the 88 mile ride to LA. I think I've already killed my new chain after about 2,000 miles it needs adjustments every 150 miles or so. I was using a new teflon chain lube but apparently it wasn't enough to protect the chain during highway riding.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:54 AM   #192

DH,

That was for one of the still crated 2016s, with no warranty. That was 800 for the bike, plus 240 shipping to me in Kansas.
2003 Honda XR70
20XX SSR 125 Pit Bike
2011 Ninja ZX6R - Stolen

Old 05-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh View Post
Megadan we don't have many Chinabike options here in CA so I hope you are wrong. I wouldn't say the good price factor is gone at all. While this dealer says prices have skyrocketed, the SSR website MSRP's tell a different story so let's wait and see.

I have seen the price of all chinabikes go up over the last several years and this should be expected over time. The xf250 msrp has only increased $150 since it came out 5 years ago which is pretty minimal. For some comparison the CSC RX3 price has increased by over $1000 since its release and the TT250 price increased by several hundred and they still seem to be selling fine.
People don't buy the SSR XF250 because they compared it to the Hawk, Storm, etc... They buy the SSR XF250 because they compared it to the Suzuki, etc.... Also, as you say dh, we have few options here in CA.

We have supposedly the best of the Hondoid CB's in our CSC TT250 and it's still not the quality of my '09 Qlink....but the Hondoids are getting much better just over the last five years. The SSR XF250 is leaps and bounds ahead of the Suzuki DR200 regarding suspension, brakes and power plant, at half the price.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-21-2018, 09:10 PM   #194

Quote:
I was thinking pretty hard about buying that Boom 125 - Pete could send it to me for about 1040 shipped. I know they need some work out of the box, but after a carb and exhaust upgrade, they seem like they're just as good as the other "GLVS" lol

Culcune - This reminded me of the green goblin thing in spiderman, so I made a meme for you.
on the meme; if I was to get a quarter every time someone used GLV, I don't know what I would do with the $1.75 I would make in a year, because that won't even get me a coffee?!!

Pete did mention ever since dh posted the Boom, that he has been getting calls from across the US. He only meant the deal for Vegas because of shipping, but I don't know why he couldn't offer the same deal here in L.A.?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 05-22-2018, 05:37 PM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post

Pete did mention ever since dh posted the Boom, that he has been getting calls from across the US. He only meant the deal for Vegas because of shipping, but I don't know why he couldn't offer the same deal here in L.A.?
Oops LOL. Did Pete say the $799 special on Booms was not available for locals? May maybe that has something to do with the CA DMV and sales tax...?

My ride to LA yesterday got a little interesting... Any amount of fog or rain in Southern California and people lose their minds lol. this was a great day to own a dual sport as all the usual routes over the mountains were closed or gridlocked meaning I got to explore some forest roads and have some fun. I had a full tank of gas and the boss gave me the ok to come in late so I decided to explore and find some new shortcuts. Forest road 3N45 goes through an area which got charred last year during forest fires and the it looked like a wasteland. It was a great ride with a mix of sand, rock, and hard packed dirt. I was very happy with how the Kenda 244s handled all the terrain.

Oh, during this ride 1 of 4 mounts for my JC Whitney top case busted off so it's time to shop for a new case and I'm thinking about adding an auxiliary fuel tank while I'm at it. I'm considering an Acerbis rear fender tank or handlebar number style which I might be able to mount to the top case.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cajon pass1.jpg (93.6 KB, 664 views)
File Type: jpg cajon pass2.jpg (96.6 KB, 673 views)
File Type: jpg Cajon Pass4.jpg (90.0 KB, 648 views)

Last edited by dh; 05-22-2018 at 05:53 PM. Reason: missing links