Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #1

kill switch

Hello.... ok... on your CDI there is a ground ( kill ) wire.... look at pic .. this kill wire makes a ground contact to the cdi.... check you ignition switch,.... 2 wires are for starting your motor... and 2 wires are for shutting it off... so I think you have electric start .. right??? check and you will see..... 1 wire has battery power.. and 1 wire is ground... when you turn the key on... it lets the power go to the other iwre and powers up th e unit.... the other wire is a ground.... with the key off it lets the ground go thru to the CDI KILL WIRE.... this grounds the spark shutting off the motor... you only need a test light... to check.. I foret if you did say you had electric start ... but it seems like it..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GY6 CDI.jpg (5.0 KB, 197 views)

Old 04-05-2016, 06:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHLIGHTBOY View Post
so I think you have electric start .. right???
Electric and Kick Start yes.

Thank you everyone for all your help, I think I narrowed it down to the actual "Key Lock/Ignition Switch" wires and it looks like I will need to buy another (good) soldering gun to complete the task tho... not much room to work in that area and the one I have I bought for melting plastics together (cheapo under $6, one setting 30 watt gun).

So the corroded/burnt pin on my CDI looks to be the 'Ignition Power' pin if that spec sheet is correct, wouldn't cause any issues with shutting my bike off I don't think.

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:45 AM   #3

for now, just until it is fixed, you could do like i always did on my race carts, put a zip tie on the spark plug boot and use the tie to pull the boot off to kill it

Old 04-06-2016, 08:22 PM   #4

Problem is FIXED!

Big thanks to everyone who helped me narrow it down to the Key Lock/Ignition Switch, it feels great having the bike shut off when I try to put the key in my pocket...I fixed it by:
Cleaning up and resolder the wires under the popped off cap with crappy cold solder connections (see post 12)

and also had 2 faulty wires in the connection down in the "Wire Harness" portion of it too... as you can see with the one I found... it wasn't even installed right from the factory... something 360 Power Sports should have noticed if they would have properly put the motorcycle together...

To fix that, it took 2.8mm Spade Connectors I ordered off Amazon.

I ordered these 2.8mm Spade Connectors "Shipped and Sold By Amazon"

http://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-a120910...dp/B00ACD9SQ2/

Again a huge bear hug and

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:30 PM   #5

Nice work, amigo.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-06-2016, 11:51 PM   #6

Excellent!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer