Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2022, 06:12 PM   #91

you know how most people read the forum and they get envy to get a new bike? Well, I’m getting tire envy right now. these look pretty good. I was always worried that the knobs were too far apart and that would really reduce the grip on pavement. But, you guys are saying that they stick just as well or better. So I guess I was thinking about that the wrong way.

next time I think I will try these out.

With the stock tires, it’s always a delicate balance to keep the front wheel from washing out. It loves to wash out.

Old 07-14-2022, 10:06 PM   #92

X-Pect Air Box

Hard work! pays off on the back-road!

Old 07-25-2022, 11:10 PM   #93

X-Pect fork valves

When the Mikes X Valves were ordered for the HAWK I picked up a set for the X-Pect and the team put them in a couple of weeks ago. Whereas the HAWK’s forks came apart easily, the bottom bolts on the X-pect forks is cemented good with Loctite and would not loosen while on the bike. You could hear the Damper turning against the springs.

I tried the damping rod tool made for the HAWK with the threaded rod but it was too weak. The team had to come up with something beefier so we welded the bolt to a piece of rebar and made a handle and that did the trick. I bought a cheap welder a year ago and the Team has found some good use for it. The Damper Rod inner hex size is 14mm. A guy could get a 14mm Allen head and some extensions to get something to work for the job.

There are no preload spacers in these forks and the springs are stiffer. The team added the minimum adapter length possible at about 5.5 mm and when added to the length of the valve spacing at 14mm gives a total preload of about 19.5 mm. The springs stick out of the fork tubes about 3 inches and were a real pain to compress to get the fork caps on! With an average rider weight of 185 lbs the rider sag came to 1.25 inch which is not quite optimal. A new set of custom springs could be made at a cost of about $200 and they need a spring for comparison to do it. All considered we will see how well they work. The forks were filled with 180 ml of 10 wt fork.

Stock damper top showing fork oil passage with modified damper below

Fork tool and finished Damper rod with valve and adapter

Damper rod end

Credit for the fork valve knowledge goes to........

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...554#post284554

Old 07-27-2022, 12:59 PM   #94

Just got my x-pect together. Nice little bike, going with a 16t front sprocket.Shell rotella 4t oil 15w/40.

Old 07-28-2022, 05:56 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwrider View Post
Just got my x-pect together. Nice little bike, going with a 16t front sprocket.Shell rotella 4t oil 15w/40.
You won't regret the 16t, I swapped after 750 miles (it finally delivered) and it made a dramatic difference.

Old 07-29-2022, 09:51 AM   #96

X-Pect gas can carrier mount

From the day the Team started on the tail rack they knew there was another piece to go with it. Off and on over the months they worked on a gas tank carrier that will mount to the rack. Some final bolt pieces were ordered and it was assembled right before a trip. There was a locking cap piece left over from another carrier as a starting point. This project was one of the trickier ones to get right as it is not easy to bolt anything to the tail rack as it sits low on the bike. It had to be removable and strong. Several designs were tried until they hit upon the final work up and if I do say so, they got it “right”. It might just be easier to buy a store-bought carrier lock and go from there, but that would be way to easy!

Covered in dust from the trail and certified for Back Road use after a day of pounding.

Old 07-29-2022, 03:01 PM   #97

The rack is sturdier than what it is attached to. Very nice metal work.

Old 07-30-2022, 10:00 AM   #98

X-Pect Back Road Test results

The Back Road put the evaluation on the X-Pect and a few team members last week and they took a Back Road beat down! The Bike and the riders were both dropped multiple times on the left and the right. Coming up a steep hill covered in fist sized loose rock she went down hard on the left side. The Handguard did its job well protecting the levers and absorbing the blow but it can only do so much. The rider shaken, but no major injuries other than some scrapes. The left handlebar got bent, but it was rideable. You go down on hard pack or rock most times on this Back Road. Think Hand Guards are optional?

Right handguard

Left handguard

Left side Bent Handlebar

Thoughts: The reason? Loss of Rider confidence.

As the Team Leader I have to assume the responsibility. I put the Rider in terrain that overcame their mental preparation. I had never been down that track other than looking at the Ridge Line last year so I had no exact idea either what to expect. Riding down gravel roads with a few potholes is one thing but the Rough Back Road is another thing altogether at times technical and challenging. You have to rise to the challenge and overcome by performance or it will eat away at your confidence. It is not that it is above your skill level necessarily but that it is challenging and there is no compromise you must perform or pay the consequences.

Moral of the story, you need to think about all Rider skill levels before you take the plunge. It will not be fun anymore if someone gets hurt a long way from medical treatment. The only answer is to prepare mentally for the challenge and take the equipment to deal with any circumstance. The Team highly recommends a satellite emergency communicator on any road that lacks cell service and a good first aid kit and training to go with it and then plan for the time and expense to fix a torn-up bike. Motorcycle riding on the Back Road is a CONTACT sport.

The Team noticed when dropped the X-Pect leaks gas they think from the overflow drain tube in the tank under the gas cap. It leaks or gas is forced by the seal. The other unusual behavior is that sometimes after being dropped the bike will start up and idle but when you apply throttle it dies. Multiple restarts would not correct it. This happened twice. A guess is the force of the drop or sideways motion messes up the throttle position sensor in the manifold because to fix it you hold the throttle open say half and push the starter button and it will start and rev immediately to the position of the throttle. The throttle needs to be opened far enough to make this work. Next time we might just open it WOT couple of times before a restart to see if that will work.

The X-Pect is in pretty good shape considering. She is not as pretty as she once was, but she has proven her Back Road Heart!

Old 07-31-2022, 10:13 AM   #99

X-Pect on the Back Road Glory!

The team would like to thank the forum knowledge contributors as they were as much a part of this team and this bike build as anyone and without their contributions this bike would not be what it is today. This thread has been in large part an attempt to pay back a little something for the knowledge the Team acquired but it is nothing compared to what the Team received from others contributions.

The X-Pect is a well-made bike. It’s a tough bike. It is going to make a good Back Road Bike. I look forward to getting some seat time on the Back Road to see what she’s got. Here she is in her Back Road Glory! Goes by Jade! 2021 X-Pect B model; B stands for……….? LR version; LR stands for…………..?

Trivia answer: The Magician!!!!!

The CR27 Team is off to put on a handlebar, make other repairs and do maintenance, lick some wounds, and plan for the NEXT Back Road Ride Experience………………CG strong, Ride hard!

Last edited by China Rider 27; 08-04-2022 at 10:31 AM.

Old 08-02-2022, 02:36 PM   #100

I just got back from check ride with 16T front sprocket. With 15T @5k rpm 37mph. With 16T Was 40mph. Didn’t lose any noticeable low end. Still swear by rotella 4t15w40. Nice bike.

Old 08-04-2022, 12:14 PM   #101

Does anyone know of a bolt on bash plate for Lifan x-pect 200. Thanks for info.

Old 08-04-2022, 05:40 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Rider 27 View Post
The team would like to thank the forum knowledge contributors as they were as much a part of this team and this bike build as anyone and without their contributions this bike would not be what it is today. This thread has been in large part an attempt to pay back a little something for the knowledge the Team acquired but it is nothing compared to what the Team received from others contributions.

The X-Pect is a well-made bike. It’s a tough bike. It is going to make a good Back Road Bike. I look forward to getting some seat time on the Back Road to see what she’s got. Here she is in her Back Road Glory! Goes by Jade! 2021 X-Pect B model; B stands for……….? LR version; LR stands for…………..?

Trivia answer: The Magician!!!!!

The CR27 Team is off to put on a handlebar, make other repairs and do maintenance, lick some wounds, and plan for the NEXT Back Road Ride Experience………………CG strong, Ride hard!

It looks perfect. It is a dirt bike. Dual sport, well, yes, but why bother with a dirtbike if you just drive on the road !!!

And by the way... If you aren't pushing your limits, you are just growing old(er)!!!!

Old 10-05-2022, 02:30 PM   #103

Do you know the spring diameter? Wanting to upgrade springs and cross reference Japan bikes.

Old 12-16-2022, 05:30 PM   #104

am I likely to need a heat gun to get the rear sprocket off my x-pect to switch it out?

Old 12-16-2022, 05:44 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapkin View Post
am I likely to need a heat gun to get the rear sprocket off my x-pect to switch it out?
Not likely. The entire rear wheel assembly falls apart in your hands once you loosen everything.

It’s a pita to get back on actually.