Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2023, 07:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by N7sithis View Post
Oh wow that's crazy, I thought this was a once in a lifetime freak accident thing.

He riding on knobbies, too? or get it stuck in a rim?
No, his usb cable went down into the wheel and wrapped all around the hub. It was a KTM.

Here. I’ll show you his thread. Nearly identical crash. I’m starting to think we should all be very very careful about this type of thing, be it brake lines or just a USB cable that we stuck on the bike

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/f...njury.1658261/

And what I really notice is his helmet picture and your helmet picture are the same.

Old 07-17-2023, 08:04 AM   #17

On trip with a friend, me on my Goldwing and him on his new Harley, his rear caliper bolts fell out and the caliper jammed the rear wheel. Long skid mark and damaged parts but no crash. The Harley only had 600 miles on the odometer.

Old 07-17-2023, 09:41 AM   #18

Sorry to hear about that.. I had a similar although to a much lesser degree accident with my former Xpro Titan DLX when the rear axle nut loosened up and the rear wheel came off and flipped me off.. luckily only just a skinned knee.. I now have cotter pins drilled thru both axles of the current bikes

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 07-17-2023, 09:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
On trip with a friend, me on my Goldwing and him on his new Harley, his rear caliper bolts fell out and the caliper jammed the rear wheel. Long skid mark and damaged parts but no crash. The Harley only had 600 miles on the odometer.
I WISH it was the rear! lol Lucky!
My hawk only has like 700-800 on it's Odo

Old 07-17-2023, 09:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
I have 2 ECX Ruckus, sold as 2WD monster truck. 1 was converted to 2WD truck, added a bunch of hop-ups and a 69 Charger lid done up in General Lee colors. Took 3rd with it at Eaton's Intermountain RC Raceway in Salt Lake City running in Sportsman Truck.

1 bone stock ECX Ruckus, 1 Associated ProSC10 and 1 Associated T6.4

Just missed a big race weekend at Sweetwater RC in Rock Springs because I bought the Hawk.

Oh, that's sweet! One of the several reasons I decided to get my hawk and start riding is finding sweet places to run my crawlers. Even a 1/10 fits right in my backpack (well, it did before EMSA cut my bag up).

How do you like the ECX? I've thought about getting one cause you can find them so cheap, but worried about reliability and parts availability. I run my bashers with my dogs and when they catch one well....even the arrmas get broke from time to time. Usually go through a body or two a year, few pinion gears, a motor....something. Lol.

I need to fix my area up, bad. I have little hangers for my cars as well, they're usually all hung up with the bike gear by my workbench but as you can tell from the pic I just kinda...gave up for a while. All that stuff sitting there needed something fixed, besides the .22 lol
Base camp, senton, kraton and TRX4m all broke something back to back.

Old 07-17-2023, 10:03 AM   #21

Quote:
I struggled to get back on my Harley when some woman ran a red and almost ended my life. Like, didn't think I could. My hat is off to you for getting right back in the saddle. Your Hawk looks good with them tires. Those are the ones I want for my Hawk.
Understandable when it's someone elses fault. My only worry was not knowing what caused the wreck. At first I thought I just had a flat, I was conscious but don't remember the wreck. Last thing I remember is feeling pulled to the left and my vision going black and all I could hear is the bike scraping across the road, next thing I remember is waking up in the ambulance.

So for a while there I wanted to get back on but was scared to, once I put the new tires on and rolled it outside I could hear the cable rubbing, checked it and sure enough it's got some rubbing damage and you can see the exact spot it hung up at.

After that, feeling confident I know how to avoid it happening again, I can't WAIT to get back out! This is my first bike and has less than 1,000 miles on it, can't quit now, I've barely even GOT STARTED!

I'm just cruising around the house for now, I live on an agricultural farm so a lot of room to cruise, but once I'm 100% healed, get a new front end (handlebars are bent, so replacing pretty much everything up front) and some new gear I'll be back out scooting the back roads.

Thanks, they sure look sick! I Thought they would be sketchier on the gravel but they've actually been fine so far, although I am taking it pretty easy lol.

Old 07-17-2023, 10:06 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
Sorry to hear about that.. I had a similar although to a much lesser degree accident with my former Xpro Titan DLX when the rear axle nut loosened up and the rear wheel came off and flipped me off.. luckily only just a skinned knee.. I now have cotter pins drilled thru both axles of the current bikes
Ah, crap...now you've got me paranoid.
That might have to be my next mod LOL
Did you have any locktite on the nut? Maybe if I just put blue for now...

Glad you're okay, that's terrifying, I can only imagine the way the tire must have flew with the chain still on it but no bolt, then you have the chain itself flinging around back there, crazy you just got a skinned knee!

Old 07-17-2023, 10:31 AM   #23

I probably lock tited initially and then broke the bond when adjusting the chain at some point. Yea it was an interesting day.. my son saw the whole thing go down as he was behind me on the Brozz.. his biggest amazement was that I was able to get the wheel back on and ride it home afterwards..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220604_135704.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	29696  

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 07-17-2023, 10:34 AM   #24

Man, I`m just happy you Guys are ok.. Bikes can be fixed.
Appreciate the headsup on what went wrong..

Worse that happened to me was on my GSXR1100, I was coming back from a rally on the Sunday and the oil plug came out. Luckily my brother-in-law was behind me, signalled me to stop.. I was doing about 100mph and by some miracle only used the front brake... As I stopped and put the side stand out, I saw the oil light coming on. My brother-in-law was covered in oil.... Needles to say I was shaking and p$%sed.. Turns out the mechanic`s assistant never torc tightened the nut, only hand tightened it...

2023 Big Boy Mustang
1998 GSXR400R
1996 GSXR1100G (Sadly sold her; big mistake )
1988 KL250

Old 07-17-2023, 12:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by N7sithis View Post
Oh, that's sweet! One of the several reasons I decided to get my hawk and start riding is finding sweet places to run my crawlers. Even a 1/10 fits right in my backpack (well, it did before EMSA cut my bag up).

How do you like the ECX? I've thought about getting one cause you can find them so cheap, but worried about reliability and parts availability. I run my bashers with my dogs and when they catch one well....even the arrmas get broke from time to time. Usually go through a body or two a year, few pinion gears, a motor....something. Lol.

I need to fix my area up, bad. I have little hangers for my cars as well, they're usually all hung up with the bike gear by my workbench but as you can tell from the pic I just kinda...gave up for a while. All that stuff sitting there needed something fixed, besides the .22 lol
Base camp, senton, kraton and TRX4m all broke something back to back.
I'm right there with you on the Hawk, but for me it's to find flying sites for my RC airplanes.

The ECX lineup is what Traxxas was 20 years ago. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Traxxas sold the old molds to Horizon Hobby and it's just re-branded...kinda like these China bikes! lol They are plastic and there are failure points, most notably the shoulder bolt in the front steering c-block. It likes to pull out. Easily solved with aluminum upgraded c-block and a little blue loctite. The other failure point is the plastic slider drive shafts, they like to twist. I upgraded to the Traxxas big beefy plastic drive shafts, been on ever since. Then the usual RPM upgrades...steering system, a-arms, etc. New steering servo. The shocks will do ok, but the Traxxas big bores are the way to go. I bought the brushless version, which I'm not even sure if they sell it anymore. Still running the same ESC and motor that it came with...going on like 5 years or so. But, I don't run them a lot...usually just racing, no bashing. I've beat on the bone stock one with a kicker ramp. So far it's held up. All it needed was a new 17t motor. It's brushed and the 15t it comes with is just too weak to run it.

I should post a pic of my workshop...makes yours look clean.

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 07-18-2023, 09:59 PM   #26

I love the title of this thread!

Old 07-21-2023, 10:15 PM   #27

Quote:
I'm right there with you on the Hawk, but for me it's to find flying sites for my RC airplanes.

The ECX lineup is what Traxxas was 20 years ago. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Traxxas sold the old molds to Horizon Hobby and it's just re-branded...kinda like these China bikes! lol They are plastic and there are failure points, most notably the shoulder bolt in the front steering c-block. It likes to pull out. Easily solved with aluminum upgraded c-block and a little blue loctite. The other failure point is the plastic slider drive shafts, they like to twist. I upgraded to the Traxxas big beefy plastic drive shafts, been on ever since. Then the usual RPM upgrades...steering system, a-arms, etc. New steering servo. The shocks will do ok, but the Traxxas big bores are the way to go. I bought the brushless version, which I'm not even sure if they sell it anymore. Still running the same ESC and motor that it came with...going on like 5 years or so. But, I don't run them a lot...usually just racing, no bashing. I've beat on the bone stock one with a kicker ramp. So far it's held up. All it needed was a new 17t motor. It's brushed and the 15t it comes with is just too weak to run it.

I should post a pic of my workshop...makes yours look clean.
I might have to pick one up, then. I've only ever owned the TRX4m from Traxxas and I'm selling it lol, not a fan of Traxxas or the way they do business.

Haha at least you have a shop! i just have a workbench in my living room.

Old 07-21-2023, 10:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapkin View Post
I love the title of this thread!
Haha I thought it was a bit over dramatic but kinda true at the same time. I live an hour from the nearest hospital. Who knows if I'd still be here if I wasn't wearing a helmet.

Old 07-21-2023, 10:23 PM   #29

So I've been doing some riding and it's still rubbing despite like 4-5 zip ties hold it out of the way.

This is how my bike came, can anyone confirm there should be a rubber piece here holding this cable in place?

This rubber piece had completely came out and slid down the cable. I had to smash it down and together with pliers and zip tie it closed and it still pops out sometimes....

This is the speedo side, the rubber is way too loose and doesn't stay in place without the zip tie....

I also can't find replacement cable holders (the metal part) or the rubber boot that goes in them. Anyone have a source?

Old 07-21-2023, 11:15 PM   #30

After comparing my bike to pictures of others online, this did NOT look right.

I bent the holder that is missing the rubber piece to the point it holds the cable in roughly the same place the rubber piece would, smashed the lower holder even more and put a zip tie on the top and bottom of it to prevent the rubber gasket thingy from moving around, took the light, lever and some other stuff apart and re-ran the brake cable BEHIND all the other wires (it was in the very front) and it seems to now be flexing outward instead of inward towards the tire. after finishing I was testing the noticed that the speedo cable was now flexing inward towards the tire....after some similar adjustments got it to flex outward as well but I'm not confident that one will hold.

Honestly not confident either will hold....

But I'm tired and the pain is starting to show it's ugly head, so I'm done for the night.