Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2021, 01:10 AM   #1

All around South America

Hi amigos
I bought a Chinese 250 in 2011 and rode it all around every country in South America for 8 years, clocking up over 80,000 kms. It was this Ronco Demolition 250, which they sell in Peru. I recently began posting Youtube videos about my adventures. The day I bought the bike is in this video, the good bit begins at the 58 minute mark, follow this link

More to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0482cclores.jpg (109.6 KB, 606 views)

Old 06-21-2021, 03:11 AM   #2

Wow 80,000 kilometers is impressive. I think I'm gonna look for a catholic priest to bless my bike.

Old 06-21-2021, 04:38 AM   #3

Makes my life feel so ordinary now. Welcome to the site, I'll watch more of the videos later.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 06-21-2021, 04:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Wow 80,000 kilometers is impressive. I think I'm gonna look for a catholic priest to bless my bike.
I did have my fair share of mechanical problems... but in the end I reckon I got my moneys worth. ps here is a trailer with a map of where I rode

Old 06-22-2021, 02:25 AM   #5

heres a video from 2019

Old 06-22-2021, 08:15 PM   #6

There was/is(?) a gentleman in Peru (ex-pat American retiree) who taught small engine repair at a local college and would source bikes for people wishing to have budget motorcycle adventures, provided they wanted to begin their adventure in Peru. He seemed to have many takers, mainly from Europe. I know he posted on Horizonsunlimited-hubb a lot, and seemed like a solid guy. Did you get your bike from him? Does he sound familiar? Is he still dealing in budget adventure bikes (aka Chinese dual-sports)?

I will continue watching your videos...so far so good!!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 06-22-2021, 10:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
There was/is(?) a gentleman in Peru (ex-pat American retiree) who taught small engine repair at a local college and would source bikes for people wishing to have budget motorcycle adventures, provided they wanted to begin their adventure in Peru. He seemed to have many takers, mainly from Europe. I know he posted on Horizonsunlimited-hubb a lot, and seemed like a solid guy. Did you get your bike from him? Does he sound familiar? Is he still dealing in budget adventure bikes (aka Chinese dual-sports)?

I will continue watching your videos...so far so good!!
No I dont know that who that guy might be. I bought mine new from the Ronco dealership in Cusco. Or I should say "one of the Ronco dealerships" because there are several shops in the same street that have new Ronco models for sale in their showrooms. Because I wanted mine in orange, it was special order, and came disassembled in a box on a truck from Lima, the capital.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:58 PM   #8

I like your storytelling style.

The Ronco looks interesting - it's the same CG-based bike as loads familiar to Chinariders. They're solid bikes, and I'm impressed you got such crazy mileage out of it.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullybiker View Post
I like your storytelling style.
The Ronco looks interesting - it's the same CG-based bike as loads familiar to Chinariders. They're solid bikes, and I'm impressed you got such crazy mileage out of it.
Thanks Sullybiker! Actually over the course of 8 years and 86,000+kms, it had three different engines, not counting several rebuilds. The factory engine lasted over 20,000kms, if I remember correctly, and it was replaced at a cost of only $650 fitted (and I think I overpaid!) The original engine did fail early on, but I think it was because of my mistreatment of it. It was rebuilt fairly cheaply and lasted a long time.
A few years and many tens of thousands of kms later, I fitted a Honda engine, but it gave me a lot of problems, in hindsight it was a bad idea.
Here is episode 7, a bit long at 90 minutes, but I wanted to just finish all the pre-tour stuff and have it online. From now on the episodes will only cover a day or two and be much shorter.

Old 08-21-2021, 01:39 AM   #10

New episode, this one only 14 minutes long

Old 08-30-2021, 11:42 PM   #11

Episode 9

New episode, only 17 minutes long. This was the day before I set off for Patagonia on my brand new bike. Also a bit about how the Incas sacrificed children, ironically in the main plaza, there is a statue commemorating the ruler who instigated this barbaric custom.

Old 09-09-2021, 01:48 AM   #12

Episode 10: Day one and the first 390 kms of what ended up being an epic 8 year, 86,457 km motorbike odyssey. I leave urban Cusco in drizzling rain on my brand new Chinese bike in the company of Angelo, an experienced motorcycle guide. En route we ride over the high mountain pass of Abra La Raya, before entering the altiplano and heading for Puno on Lake Titicaca.

Last edited by madarumoto; 09-09-2021 at 04:41 AM.

Old 09-23-2021, 08:31 PM   #13

Day 2 didnt exactly go according to plan....

Old 10-02-2021, 02:30 PM   #14

New 11 minute episode, day 3, Puno to Arequipa:

Old 10-04-2021, 07:54 AM   #15

Interesting vid/story. What on earth is all packed on that bike? I pack to travel indefinitely totaling 35lbs!