Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2024, 12:40 PM   #1

FIRST RIDE since August 2000 - Old Monroe, MO

BACKSTORY (this will take a while!):
Back in August 2000 I was riding my Ninja home from the Navy base in San Diego when I got hit head-on by a station wagon that had come into my lane.

I fractured my skull (at the base), broke my face (at the chin), my back (T8), neck (C1), both arms (left humerus, right radius and ulna compound), left arm mostly removed at the shoulder, left leg (fibula and tibia compound) mostly removed below the knee, compound pelvic fracture, and I was on fire from an exploding gas tank. They put EVERYTHING back together but my left arm was hopelessly paralyzed and was eventually amputated. My left leg is still here! I was trapped in a haze for 10 years while the VA prescribed methadone, fentanyl, oxycontin, and gabapentin for the unbelievable amount of pain I was in. On my own, I found a surgeon who would do a spinal cord surgery to "unplug" the damaged nerves. After the surgery, I weaned myself off of all those horrible drugs over the next several months.

Here I am, 23 years later, watching Itchy Boots on YouTube and craving to get back on a bike. I came across this forum after looking at the various China bikes on ebay. I figured I'd take a chance after reading so many fun stories here. I paid $1369 for a TBR7 (they delivered a TBR7-D, so I got a bunch of nice upgrades for free) and bought myself a Christmas present. Some assembly required! As suggested on the forums, I changed the oil, adjusted the valves, put loctite everywhere, installed a Nibbi carb and coil, E3 plug, JFG exhaust, Hawk digital dash, etc. I removed the twist throttle and installed a thumb throttle (like on the ATV's) and installed a short blue clutch lever on the right, just above the front brake lever. I removed the left clutch lever and bypassed the clutch switch so I can start the engine without engaging the clutch (make sure it's in neutral!). Now I can gas and clutch with my right hand alone. I haven't done anything with the turn signal switch. I'll figure that problem out later. I just won't use them for now. I suppose I should move to horn button to someplace accessible... That JFG exhaust is pretty loud. I'm not sure how much horn I'll need!

THE RIDE:
Yesterday (January 24, 2024), I finally got everything installed, adjusted, tuned, etc., and went on a short ride. I started in St Peters, Mo and went up highway 79 to Old Monroe. My new helmet, riding pants and jacket kept me warm and snug in the misty rain. It was just a pavement ride, but everything looked brighter, clearer, and more beautiful than I could have imagined. The dilapidated farms and the antique stores along the route all looked amazing and inviting, and begged a stop for a visit. A sense of freedom has been returned to me, and I am forever grateful to all of your stories that inspired me to make this happen. So, not much of a ride. 14 miles each way in the wet. On asphalt. But I was giggling like a little schoolgirl for the next hour after I arrived home. My life changed yesterday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Right side-ed.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	475.3 KB
ID:	30711

Click image for larger version

Name:	Levers.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	634.0 KB
ID:	30712

Old 01-25-2024, 01:02 PM   #2

Although not suffering the severity of your injuries that I had received from the front bumper of a car, nor the extended recovery you had, I do know the exhilaration of being able to do that first ride again. Keep going. Congrats and good on ya.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 01-25-2024, 01:47 PM   #3

vwkurt
You are without a doubt a testimonial to the perseverance of the human spirit. I have had many injuries and surgeries but nothing as severe as what you have suffered. You have my admiration and respect.

Old 01-25-2024, 03:59 PM   #4

Glad to see you back in the saddle.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-25-2024, 06:23 PM   #5

Yay! Riding a motorcycle is not for everyone, but for those that know how there is nothing more satisfying than a simple rollon out of a curve, or a gravity exercise in a canyon.

Nice work

Old 01-25-2024, 08:19 PM   #6

glad to hear you're back in the saddle given that backstory. keep it up!

Oh...and that cat in the exhaust pipe is begging to be cut opened and gutted!

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.

Old 01-25-2024, 11:09 PM   #7

That's an incredible comeback story! Very inspirational on multiple levels.
Welcome back to riding.
* Banjo brake light switch
* LED headlight + front turn signals
* Debadged (I don't like to brag about the superior
strength!)
* Top speed, as equipped: 68 mph (so far)

Old 01-26-2024, 04:22 AM   #8

Kick ass!

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 01-26-2024, 06:16 PM   #9

ride on