Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2016, 03:18 PM   #1

Question Oil in stator case/cover on Hawk

Does anybody if theres supposed to be quite a bit of oil in the stator cover. Coming home from work it started to spit and sputter like it was out of fuel(thinking maybe fuel gauge was not 100% accurate,but it was low.)It died a few times but started right back up after a few seconds but would die shortly after. Managed to do this a few times to finally make it to a gas station to put a lil fuel in. Go to take off and no start. Checked for spark and nothing. Changed spark plug and all seemed well again until I went to take off then died. Checked for spark again and nothing. Went like this a few times. Coils is fairly new as is the cdi so I removed cover to visually inspect the stator(bc last time the stator wires got pinched in chain and broke a wire and killed it) and a bunch of oil came out. Like I took the drain plug out. Googled it and found that some are supposed to have oil bath while others do not. Found a page on Kazumapower that said its supposed to be dry. http://www.kazumaracing.com/trouble-...s-p-13392.html . Hopefully someone here know what is what.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:21 PM   #2

The standard vertical Honda clone definitely has oil under the stator cover. Remove the cover, and you'll see the holes that allow oil to flow.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #3

Head Scratching

Ok good to know. Weld you are def a well know source here. Any idea why it would have spark and then not repeatedly. I cant understand it. lol

Old 04-28-2016, 03:50 PM   #4

You have a loose wiring connection somewhere. How old is your Hawk? Why do you have a relatively new cdi and coil and you also had to replace the stator? Very unusual stuff for a Hawk.

/

Old 04-28-2016, 04:32 PM   #5

I bought it in sept. Bought those 3 things when it went out last time. as cheap as they were I figured I would do process of elimination. Made it through cdi and coil and thats when I found the broken wire on stator so fixed it but didnt replace it. Come to find out today as I was going to change it, I noticed its not even the right one I got. lol Plug is different. But after you replied the first time I had gone out and figured just for giggles to try it again bc it was on the charger. Sure enough started right up so I took it for a spin and it ran like a raped ape. I still dont know what the issue was tho. Just hoping it doesnt happen again before the weekend when I have time to tear it down and check over EVERYTHING. I do thank you for your response. Much appreciated.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
You have a loose wiring connection somewhere. How old is your Hawk? Why do you have a relatively new cdi and coil and you also had to replace the stator? Very unusual stuff for a Hawk.

/
Yeah I believe that. A while back my right front turn signal went out. Couldnt figure that out so I did a quick fix and jumped it from the rear one. Currently when headlight is on the fuel gauge pins itself to the top and dash right turn and high beam indicator flash on and again. Like I said I have to tear it down and check everything.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:27 PM   #7

Intermittent failures of this kind are frequently caused by a failing CDI unit. The intermittent failures become more frequent until the CDI unit fails completely, stranding you by the side of the road.

You won't solve the problem by changing everything at once. You need to examine the resistance values of the stator, pickup coil, and ignition coil. If all these items check out properly, you should substitute a CDI unit which is known to be good. If the spare CDI unit eliminates the problem, you know the other CDI unit was bad.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-29-2016, 10:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymalmat View Post
I bought it in sept. Bought those 3 things when it went out last time. as cheap as they were I figured I would do process of elimination. Made it through cdi and coil and thats when I found the broken wire on stator so fixed it but didnt replace it. Come to find out today as I was going to change it, I noticed its not even the right one I got. lol Plug is different. But after you replied the first time I had gone out and figured just for giggles to try it again bc it was on the charger. Sure enough started right up so I took it for a spin and it ran like a raped ape. I still dont know what the issue was tho. Just hoping it doesnt happen again before the weekend when I have time to tear it down and check over EVERYTHING. I do thank you for your response. Much appreciated.
That sounds like a battery issue. Are you using the original battery?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer