Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2016, 08:01 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inroads View Post
My original Centerstand lofts the front wheel even when my side and top boxes are empty.
Nice to hear that the new one lifts the rear wheel.I'm curious how that is
Re-design or because no boxes on Spud's bike ?
My stand also lofts the front wheel, but it takes only a little force to raise the rear wheel off the ground. For instance, when I'm going to lube my chain after a ride I put it on the center stand and press my right knee upwards under the rear guard. That holds the wheel in the air and I can spin it with one hand while spraying with the other.

I seem to recall that Spud replaced the wide steel rear rim with a narrower aluminum rim. That might be the weight difference in question since the stand is very near the center of balance.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:03 PM   #47

I installed my new stand today and apart from being creative in stretching the spring, everything went very smoothly. The stand worked first time, no adjustments necessary,and it lifts the rear wheel way off the ground. It is not as easy to deploy the side stand, but I'll get used to that with time.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 02-01-2016, 02:06 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRider View Post
I installed my new stand today and apart from being creative in stretching the spring, everything went very smoothly. The stand worked first time, no adjustments necessary,and it lifts the rear wheel way off the ground. It is not as easy to deploy the side stand, but I'll get used to that with time.
Thanks for posting the report, George.

I'm glad you didn't need to grind the center stand. I'm not surprised, since these bikes weren't originally designed for a center stand. The frame welds on my bike were probably larger than the frame welds on your bike.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-01-2016, 05:48 PM   #49

Congrats George!

Oh, I get excited any time I get to play with power tools. But in the center stand's case (at least on my bike), it only needed a Dremel with a sanding drum to get the clearance needed for the stand to rotate.

I will say that trying to stretch the spring by pulling backwards is pretty difficult. Definitely use the spring perch as a lever point on the flat head screwdriver to get the spring to stretch and seat on the perch.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:31 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtking View Post
Congrats George!

Oh, I get excited any time I get to play with power tools. But in the center stand's case (at least on my bike), it only needed a Dremel with a sanding drum to get the clearance needed for the stand to rotate.

I will say that trying to stretch the spring by pulling backwards is pretty difficult. Definitely use the spring perch as a lever point on the flat head screwdriver to get the spring to stretch and seat on the perch.
I love power tools too Rob, but it seems it's only in recent years that I've learned to pick up a tool and not draw blood, my own. With that thought in mind, I tried the screwdriver as a lever, but after a couple of slips thought it prudent to stretch the spring using a woodworkers clamp as a spreader and inserting a pocketfull of change in the loops. Worked like a charm, although I needed a hammer and pliers to remove the coins. That spring holds money tighter than my Scottish wife.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 02-01-2016, 06:44 PM   #51

Quote:
That spring holds money tighter than my Scottish wife.
George, your Scottish wife would get along great with my Ukrainian wife. She's very prudent/frugal with money!

I too tried inserting washers into the loops of the spring. That didn't work so well as I had nothing substantial to hold the spring with. I was tempted to stretch it using the floor jack, but if the spring came loose, it would be a projectile with decent mass and good velocity. I didn't feel like injuring myself or, worse yet, put a dent in my wife's car.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:34 PM   #52

Quote:
...in the center stand's case (at least on my bike), it only needed a Dremel with a sanding drum to get the clearance needed for the stand to rotate...
Good for you. All these bikes are a bit different in that area of the frame, and my bike might have been the worst case scenario. Nevertheless, even in my case, using the angle grinder was not difficult.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-01-2016, 07:41 PM   #53

Quote:
...I tried the screwdriver as a lever, but after a couple of slips thought it prudent to stretch the spring using a woodworkers clamp as a spreader and inserting a pocketfull of change in the loops. Worked like a charm, although I needed a hammer and pliers to remove the coins...
Quote:
...I too tried inserting washers into the loops of the spring. That didn't work so well as I had nothing substantial to hold the spring with...
My Tusk Spring Puller has a nice hook on the end.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...+spring+puller

It is easy to hook the free end of the spring, and use the Tusk tool as a lever which pivots upon the spring stud as a fulcrum. Stretching the spring in that manner, I could easily insert about 9 pennies/dimes into the coils of the spring.

After the coins were installed, I used the Tusk tool to pull the free end of the spring onto the spring stud. I then easily removed the coins with a pair of pliers.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-01-2016, 08:58 PM   #54

"After talking with Ryan, I believe the new center stand might have been modified to loft the rear wheel. "

Spuds, I wonder what they did to modify it to loft rear wheel? I'm thinking that it is a matter of where the pivot is on the frame that would shift the weight one way or another and that hasn't changed? Maybe overall length of the 2 legs would shift it some? rj

Old 02-02-2016, 12:30 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
"After talking with Ryan, I believe the new center stand might have been modified to loft the rear wheel. "

Spuds, I wonder what they did to modify it to loft rear wheel? I'm thinking that it is a matter of where the pivot is on the frame that would shift the weight one way or another and that hasn't changed? Maybe overall length of the 2 legs would shift it some? rj
I don't know what changes they made, Rob. However, the center stand now lofts the rear wheel.

Besides moving the pivot point, changing the length of the legs will also affect the balance point. In addition, the top of the center stand must contact the frame to lock the center stand. Therefore, changing the height of the center stand above the pivot point will also alter the balance point.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #56

Quote:
That spring holds money tighter than my Scottish wife.
Quote of the week!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-04-2016, 02:40 PM   #57

I emailed CSC yesterday to order the newer center stand and to my "it must be my lucky day" amazement ,Ryan gives a discount for those who bought the first generation one. $60 plus shipping. Gasp. Another superb example of the kind of people and customer satisfaction CSC is giving. I ask them if it was ok to share this with you guys and they said share away. I thank you and I thank you and I thank you ,rj

Old 02-04-2016, 03:38 PM   #58

Thanks for sharing, Rob!

Funny thing is that there's a lively dialog over at ADV Rider about dealers (again) and how that would broaden exposure. But this is a great example of why the approach CSC is taking to market is working: Direct to consumer and treating its customers right!

If there were a dealer network, and the same situation with the 1st vs. 2nd generation center stand came up, I'm sure some dealer would just say "no" to offering the center stand discount, and pocket the difference him/herself as profit.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:10 PM   #59

Thanks for reporting yet another example of excellent customer service, Rob.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-05-2016, 12:32 AM   #60

Thumbs Up

Ooooo! I need to call tomorrow and get me one

I am getting tired of weaseling my bike onto a board to get the height and then propping up the rear to loft the rear tire for servicing.

That deal is to good to pass up. Thanks for sharing!