Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2023, 09:27 PM   #1

Templar X motor rebuild journey

So, with the news that the vendor is sending me "something" to get my motor repaired, I thought I would start a pictorial journal of the rebuild.

The attached photo is for my reference as I begin this. I have done a handful of two-stroke top ends, but never a four-stroke.

For those of you who talk about the need to check every bolt and Loctite it, I can assure you the motor mounts on mine were tight....

So tight in fact, that I split a 13mm socket trying to remove the lower, front mounts. I had an 18" breaker bar on it as the ratchet wasn't enough. I have never broken a socket before (this one was old-school Craftsman). Going to get some impact sockets to try again... Might need some heat!

I am still planning on getting a whole new motor, but plan to attack this one anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motor rebuild 1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	932.0 KB
ID:	29335  

2022 Hawk 250 - Mikuni clone carb, jetted appropriately. Pro Tork CRF 150 pipe. Nibbi pod filter. Tusk Chub bars with riser adapters. Amazon levers and foot pegs. Typical gearing change for street... Acerbis hand guards. Nibbi grips. Shortened rear fender. No graphics

2022 Templar X - Stock carb rejetted appropriately, Nibbi grips, Amazon hand guards. Amazon seat cover. Acerbis skid plate, heavily modded. Shortened rear "fender". Custom graphic kit.

Old 05-30-2023, 10:06 PM   #2

my front motor mount bolts on my Hawk were stupid tight like you describe. My rear mount bolts weren't tight at all. Chinabike lottery.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-31-2023, 09:50 PM   #3

Day two....

So, I borrowed a compression testing kit from a co-worker and it confirmed my original instinct. No compression at all...

I wasn't able to get new sockets as I am in some of the busiest couple weeks of my year at work.

No news from the vendor about a delivery time frame for my parts anyway.

I plan to order a new motor tomorrow. Funds are here...

2022 Hawk 250 - Mikuni clone carb, jetted appropriately. Pro Tork CRF 150 pipe. Nibbi pod filter. Tusk Chub bars with riser adapters. Amazon levers and foot pegs. Typical gearing change for street... Acerbis hand guards. Nibbi grips. Shortened rear fender. No graphics

2022 Templar X - Stock carb rejetted appropriately, Nibbi grips, Amazon hand guards. Amazon seat cover. Acerbis skid plate, heavily modded. Shortened rear "fender". Custom graphic kit.

Old 06-01-2023, 08:18 PM   #4

Day three...

I got a set of impact sockets and was able to get the front mounts off.

I got confirmation of parts being shipped. They are due on Tuesday the 6th.

I plan to order the other motor tonight. I hope it comes quick as from being in New York riding season is short....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Motor rebuild 2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	756.5 KB
ID:	29346  

Old 06-03-2023, 05:59 PM   #5

Day four....

I got the motor free'd up, removed the rear brake lever and thought I was ready to pull it out. I cannot wriggle that thing out for the life of me....

Do I need to remove the swingarm and pull the rear motor mount out in order to remove the motor???

After taking the the timing chain cover off, I snapped a pic at TDC then rotated the crank 360 and took another. I got two different positions of the top cam sprocket, which I expected. Neither of the positions made much sense to me as no marks were lined up with the arrow on top of the valve cover. The one where the "0" is on top, it is slightly behind the mark (retarded???). Not sure what to think here...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rear motor mount.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	29352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Timing mark 1 TDC.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	557.8 KB
ID:	29353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Timing mark 2 TDC .jpg
Views:	68
Size:	813.4 KB
ID:	29354  

Old 06-03-2023, 08:08 PM   #6

Day four 2.0...

I had time and frankly am impatient with my limited time, so the swingarm and shock came off and the motor slid right out.

Now I need to figure out the cam chain tensioner without buggering it up.

Today's posts brought to you by the distraction I needed from my frustration...

This bike, while I love it, is a genuine Chinese puzzle all on its own...

Definitely more confusing than any other of the dozen bikes I have owned
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Motor out!.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	962.5 KB
ID:	29355  

Old 06-03-2023, 09:43 PM   #7

Day four 2.6357...

So, the cam chain tensioner is fairly simple. I got the head off and it appears to me the intake valve had an issue contacting the piston. I will assume after a bit of riding the valve bent and seized.

I cannot tell if the sooty appearance of the top of the piston is from the many times I tried to restart, not only to get home, but to prove there was issue for the vendor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Piston.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	661.4 KB
ID:	29357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Valves in head.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	473.7 KB
ID:	29358   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rings.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	461.7 KB
ID:	29359  

Old 06-05-2023, 09:41 PM   #8

Day five...

Parts arrived. I got the bottom cylinder, top cylinder with the valve train installed and a complete gasket set. I have reached out to the vendor for a manual for the motor. We will see if I get anything. I couldn't find anything worthwhile on the webs...

There was no paperwork for any of the parts.

Once disassembled the top cam has about 115 degrees of free-play. I am not sure if it should be timed with it fully engaged or before.

I am assuming since the valves are both closed on the bench I can adjust the valves prior to assembly. Any thoughts on this?

Old 06-08-2023, 07:26 PM   #9

Day six...

After receiving the parts, I asked the vendor for a manual for the motor. This is the quoted response to my request:

Sorry,we do not have the manual. The piece need professional mechanic to complete the repair work as it is not easy job. ​If you can not do the job yourself, please check if you can ask a friend or neighbor who know mechanics for help. ​
Thanks a lot for your understanding.

This was a little infuriating...

After watching a handful of videos on the assembly of what appear to be very similar motors, I have begun. The new piston is assembled and on the connecting rod. Valves have been adjusted. Hoping to get time this weekend to put the rest together.

Does anyone know a compatible crush gasket for the exhaust? I took some measurements of the crushed one, but not much popped up in searches.

Old 06-09-2023, 07:34 PM   #10

Thanks jc, I have reached out to them. Waiting on a response, but not holding my breath. I was also going to look for the specs on comparable Japanese motors and see if there is a similarity in specs and just go with that.

I do believe I have the timing all set and have the motor completely back together, but not torqued. Getting the cam chain back on is a PIA. Not much room to work in there...

I ran the motor through a handful of cycles manually and all sounds good and it feels like there is sufficient compression.

Old 06-14-2023, 05:37 PM   #11

Day 7,8 and 9...

I haven't had much time due to work....

Got the motor back in the bike, the rear end back on and some small miscellaneous stuff done, but ran out of Loctite so I need to get some and torque everything down. Once I get it back together I will fire it up and see what happens.

It has been almost a week and I have heard nothing from my outreach to Zongshen.

Old 06-14-2023, 09:43 PM   #12

Have you considered swapping to the 4v air cooled 250? I think its the CB250r engine. Its a little pricey but the mounts look about the same. If I blow mine up that's my plan.

Old 06-15-2023, 08:20 AM   #13

There's a lot to know, even with a simple motor like these. I'm not sure I could have done what you are doing. good job!

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.

Old 06-15-2023, 10:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportbike83 View Post
Have you considered swapping to the 4v air cooled 250? I think its the CB250r engine. Its a little pricey but the mounts look about the same. If I blow mine up that's my plan.

If I could have put the 300cc liquid cooled motor in, I would have done that, but it doesn't fit. I am not unhappy with this motor. Just want it to run.

Old 06-15-2023, 08:20 PM   #15

Day 10...

So, I got everything needed for it to run buttoned up. Put fresh oil in it, connected the battery and crossed my fingers.

When I hit the go button with a little choke, it fired right up! It sounded so good. I just needed to adjust the idle a little bit to slow it down. I let it idle for about 5 minutes and cracked the throttle a few times. Response was good and it settled right back sown to a consistent idle.

After about an hour, I tried again. No choke and it fired right up with the same results as the first time.

Now I just need to put the chain, rear brake pedal, shifter and a few cosmetic pieces back on to take it for its second maiden voyage.

Fingers crossed again!