Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2017, 10:07 AM   #1

Bashan owners: check your rear brake

Had my Brozz up on the stand this morning to install my MSR shift lever, and decided to adjust the rear brake's "released position",and I'm glad I did! The rear drum was actually dragging just a hair from the factory, robbing me of precious HP without me even knowing it. I only have 38 miles on the clock so I know the linings aren't trashed, but if this went on overlooked they certainly would have been! Please, do yourself a favor and check to make sure your rear wheel spins freely in neutral, and adjust your linkage accordingly.

Side note: if you don't like where your rear brake pedal sits when not in use, the rear "stop" bolt is easily adjusted and is there to make your bike more ergonomic for YOU and you alone. IMHO, ergonomics=safety.

My best advice, is to adjust your pedal so it feels comfortable for your riding position in order to apply your rear brakes safely, then adjust the brake from there using the "nut" at the end of the linkage. IF you run out of threads on the linkage to adjust the brake to your liking, don't hesitate to remove the drum brake lever and reposition it on the spline. From the factory, my Bashan's drum lever was more vertical, so I let it back one tooth on the spline and reinstalled the linkage. If your linkage looks different, this is why.

I did this in order to fine tune my Bashan's pedal "free play". I like having the rear brake apply just a feather away. After 20 minutes or so, my rear wheel spins free as a bird, and my rear brake grabs like a 3 piston Brembo. TOTALLY worth your time.

Rides a 2016 Bashan 18C with Blue PlastiDip, piped and jetted, USB charger, real-time digital volt meter, faux carbon fiber handguards, 5 COB led headlight upgrade, auxiliary led light bars, and an MSR shift lever with new grips, T6 aluminum handlebars anodized in blue, polished handlebar brace, decals, HD Unibear chain and spoke covers waiting on the always-full mod shelf......

Old 05-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #2

Good read there Big. I actually have the opposite problem. When I installed my new tubes I never really adjusted the rear brake as tight as I like it. Feels like I have to apply more pressure than I want. Its raining here today so I have some down time to re-adjust them.

Previously owned / operated MOTO Xtreme selling American Lifan / Check out my friends at www.armattanquads.com

"Imagination is more important that knowledge" Albert Einstein

Old 05-28-2017, 05:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOXtreme View Post
Good read there Big. I actually have the opposite problem. When I installed my new tubes I never really adjusted the rear brake as tight as I like it. Feels like I have to apply more pressure than I want. Its raining here today so I have some down time to re-adjust them.
If you have to use more pressure than you thinks is reasonable, the usual problem is the brake cam lever. The brake should apply just before the lever is straight up (before it is vertical to the brake cam shaft). Drum brake should be set so that there is a whisper of noise from the shoes contacting the drum. Then check the lever angle as described above...ARH

Old 05-28-2017, 05:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
If you have to use more pressure than you thinks is reasonable, the usual problem is the brake cam lever. The brake should apply just before the lever is straight up (before it is vertical to the brake cam shaft). Drum brake should be set so that there is a whisper of noise from the shoes contacting the drum. Then check the lever angle as described above...ARH
Pretty sure I have mine set with too much free play before shoe contact. I'll defiantly check it.

Previously owned / operated MOTO Xtreme selling American Lifan / Check out my friends at www.armattanquads.com

"Imagination is more important that knowledge" Albert Einstein