Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2016, 06:07 AM   #1

1978 Honda XL175 with chinese FML163

Hi Everyone. First post but have been on this forum for about a year picking for information. I live in Grantsville Utah. I bought a 1978 Honda XL175 with a Chinese FML163 engine installed in it for $125.00 at a garage sale from someone who was moving. I bought it so when I am out in my RV I will have something to get around. Not sure what flavor the engine is but after searching the net I came up with this. It looks like the motor I have. Don't know if this is good or bad. The seller told me he bought a case of 6 engines off ebay and sold the other 5. Said he would send me the info when he got moved and unpacked but never did. http://jackcheng2012.en.made-in-chin...GW200-KR-.html Bought a CDI box and made sure the motor ran and it was good. I am Finally getting around to getting it going. Had a friend move the motor mounts over 3/8 of an inch so the chain would line up and am now getting ready to start getting her on the road. I am finding out about how much fun it is going to be lol. I have stripped it down and painted the frame. Now I need to figure out sprockets so I can start getting it together. Did I mention I know nothing about motorcycles. Not sure what area I should post this in But if someone can let me know I will post my questions there. Thanks

Old 11-12-2016, 07:53 AM   #2

That engine is CG125 http://world.honda.com/history/challenge/1975cg125/ on steroid [aka CG200]
http://josemaco.files.wordpress.com/...h-62ktjam5.pdf covers what u need to know...

Old 11-12-2016, 08:49 AM   #3

Wow

I feel like it's definitely Christmas now. They were putting up the xmas stuff in Walmart last week and I thought it was way too early. But it is here now. I was wondering how to get one of those manuals. I have been afraid to order one off the internet most come direct from china. When I go to the store tomorrow I will pick up some egg nog and start celebrating an early Christmas. Thank you human being. I knew there was at least one out there. Now there might be at least two. I Will definitely use the heck out of it. My problem is I can't find any decent info on the internet for my issues like sprockets for instance. According to Honda the bike is supposed to have 428 chains and sprockets. It has 520. When I put the 520 front sprocket on the china motor the chain rubs the engine case. One post says that you can't put a 428 chain on the rear sprocket because it is narrower. The joys of figuring stuff out. Then I have to figure the electrical system out. Do I convert to 12 volts so I can use the electric starter or do I keep the 6volt and kick start? How do I wire it up? Yep I am going to have fun lol. Thanks a bunch. Seems like everytime I find a post that says do it this way I find two that says its a bad idea and vice versa. Too much information can cause dizziness.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:28 PM   #4

Stock XL175 fitted w/ 520 sprockets which can't find via http://www.jtsprockets.com/
For most vertical Chonda http://www.chinariders.net/showpost....59&postcount=8. 13T (520) almost the limit for such tight space...
===
6v or 12V is a straight forward job... If upgrade to 12v, LED maybe a good choice [Stock stator is quite waek ~100W only... There's more room for E-gadgets/ grip heater...]

Last edited by humanbeing; 11-13-2016 at 07:36 AM.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:31 PM   #5

I picked up a 13 tooth 520 today. The front was a 14. The rear is a 42 tooth. The guy said a 35 tooth rear would gain me 5 more mph over the stock setup. He didn't have one though so I decided to just get the 13 and see how it goes. Might cost me some on the hill climbing end. I live about 45 miles from Salt Lake so was there all day. Will check it out tomorrow. I got it up to about 40mph with one foot peg and the motor mounts being 3/8 of an inch to the right. Was scared to go any faster. The electrical is going to be awhile. The only thing I worry about with a 12 volt system is where to put the battery. I am sure the 12 volt will be a bigger battery. All in good time. Should I post specific stuff in Other Brands do you think?

Old 11-13-2016, 12:49 AM   #6

Pics
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-14-2016, 11:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrebel View Post
I picked up a 13 tooth 520 today. The front was a 14. The rear is a 42 tooth. The guy said a 35 tooth rear would gain me 5 more mph over the stock setup. He didn't have one though so I decided to just get the 13 and see how it goes. Might cost me some on the hill climbing end. I live about 45 miles from Salt Lake so was there all day. Will check it out tomorrow. I got it up to about 40mph with one foot peg and the motor mounts being 3/8 of an inch to the right. Was scared to go any faster. The electrical is going to be awhile. The only thing I worry about with a 12 volt system is where to put the battery. I am sure the 12 volt will be a bigger battery. All in good time. Should I post specific stuff in Other Brands do you think?
Welcome!

To me, it qualifies as a China bike, since it has a China heart. Feel free to post in the dual sport forum.

Remove your rear sprocket and measure it. A little digging online tells me that the stock XL175 rear sprocket has the same dimensions as the XL185, which is a 428. http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/model/217

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-17-2016, 05:58 AM   #8

BlackBike I will try to get some pics on here as soon as I can get some time. I have my Daughter and Grandson coming into town for Thanksgiving this weekend so it may take a while. I will post in dual sport when I do. Thanks weld and grind.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:16 AM   #9

Welcome! Funny that most of us around 10 years ago were ordering our enduor sprockets for XL175 Hondas since the stock 56 tooth ones were way too low, and the majority of Chinese manufacturers used copies of that year's Honda hubs, and here you are with a XL175 Honda with a 520 chain and a Chinese engine.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Tags
1978 honda xl175, fml163