Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2016, 12:54 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfndirt View Post
rNex most annoying thing was when I was going to take the crank cover off, that dribbled a little oil which was fine...then I opened the front view port and oil gushed out - I quickly closed it.
I've had a little oil come out the front view port, but it hasn't ever gushed. On the other hand, I never open that port anymore because I use the timing chain ports and it's much easier.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 06-12-2016, 12:57 PM   #77

Yeah the timing chain ports are the way to go, so much easier. The service manual should have people do it that way, takes the error out of finding TDC.

I always check for a tiny bit of free play in the rockers just to be sure.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:07 AM   #78

2700 miles and valves still need no adjustment i feel left out. Fastest blue lives in 5th gear 7000-8500 rpms or 3rd 6000to 7500 who knows guess i am to easy on the ZONG

Old 07-03-2016, 09:42 AM   #79

Thanx for the post WD ... I did my 500 mile the other day and mine didnt need adjusted. I'm glad to hear someone else went though the 500 check without adjustment - ive worried some that I didnt check them correctly. Ditto on using the timing chain ports as TDC alignment assist.....made it a lot easier.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 07-03-2016, 10:05 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl096 View Post
Thanx for the post WD ... I did my 500 mile the other day and mine didnt need adjusted. I'm glad to hear someone else went though the 500 check without adjustment - ive worried some that I didnt check them correctly. Ditto on using the timing chain ports as TDC alignment assist.....made it a lot easier.
I'm going to go back through mine again. When I checked mine, 3 were fine and one seemed a little tight. I think the one I adjusted I loosened too much and now here one slightly louder tick. Drives me nuts. Should have left it alone!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-03-2016, 10:52 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I'm going to go back through mine again. When I checked mine, 3 were fine and one seemed a little tight. I think the one I adjusted I loosened too much and now here one slightly louder tick. Drives me nuts. Should have left it alone!
I had the brake side exhaust that was the tightest but I didnt mess with it. I'll rest easier after the 1000 mile check.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 08-18-2016, 06:38 PM   #82

I did my valve check today. Found all 4 at a tight .005" inches.
Thats kinda loose I'd say. Yes I used the cam chain ports and dbl. checked with the T bar regestration on the stator.

So I reset the intakes to .003" inches and left the exhaust's alone at the found .005"inches. Figuring they'd get tight on there own?
Now I know .005" is way outa spec. but CSC sets 'em at .003" or .08mm.

Bike ran very good , so my question is may I leave those exhaust valves at .005" or .13mm?

Spec is .04-.06 mm or .0015"-.0025" inches

I hope i'm not getting to, you know, 'out there' about all this. Any thoughts or advise?

Old 08-18-2016, 07:39 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC View Post
I did my valve check today. Found all 4 at a tight .005" inches.
Thats kinda loose I'd say. Yes I used the cam chain ports and dbl. checked with the T bar regestration on the stator.

So I reset the intakes to .003" inches and left the exhaust's alone at the found .005"inches. Figuring they'd get tight on there own?
Now I know .005" is way outa spec. but CSC sets 'em at .003" or .08mm.

Bike ran very good , so my question is may I leave those exhaust valves at .005" or .13mm?

Spec is .04-.06 mm or .0015"-.0025" inches

I hope i'm not getting to, you know, 'out there' about all this. Any thoughts or advise?
you lost me at...math
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-18-2016, 09:15 PM   #84

GSC, you've done Baja so I assume you have some miles on the bike. So we can presume settings have stabilized somewhat. For me .005 inches would be too loose and when I had a chance I'd go back in and reset the exhausts to .003. There is no real advantage to running too loose and it can increase wear over the long haul. Short term won't hurt. I just did my check, 4000 miles since previous, intakes had loosened a bit, exhausts were unchanged. I set intakes at .002 inch and exhausts at .003.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:23 PM   #85

Thanks Nova

That's the kinda stuff I wanted to hear. Experienced advise.

Actually its a warranty replacement engine w 1k miles

Last edited by GSC; 08-19-2016 at 09:32 AM.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:59 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
GSC, you've done Baja so I assume you have some miles on the bike. So we can presume settings have stabilized somewhat. For me .005 inches would be too loose and when I had a chance I'd go back in and reset the exhausts to .003. There is no real advantage to running too loose and it can increase wear over the long haul. Short term won't hurt. I just did my check, 4000 miles since previous, intakes had loosened a bit, exhausts were unchanged. I set intakes at .002 inch and exhausts at .003.
That's strange that they loosened with wear. They usually tighten as the seats wear and the valve comes up slightly toward the rocker. Generally why I set mine a tad on the loose side.
I'll have to see what my second setting tells me here in a couple weeks.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 03-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #87

In prep for the CSC Baja ride in a few weeks I did all my bike maintenance that will be needed for the mileage that will occur and that included checking/adjusting the valves. I've done the valves many times and have a couple of observations beyond the great tutorials that are given in this and other threads. First, on my bike the intake valves stopped moving with in the first 1500 miles. I check them every time I do valves but haven't had to adjust them sense. I'm now at 4200 miles. The exhaust valves have continued to move but I think they are close to being done. On this latest adjustment one of them was still at .08 and the other was somewhere between .05 and .07 and only took a minor adjustment. I think I'll soon be able to switch to adjusting them every 5K like CSC says. Since it's been the exhaust valves that continued to move, I would know it was time to adjust them as the bike would start dying when riding it, even when warm, when I'd release the throttle quickly. Anytime that would start, I would check the exhaust valves and they'd be at .04. Hope this helps some of the newer owners with what they might expect with their bikes over time.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:33 PM   #88

well after my fifth valve adj. one exhaust valve was tight only have 4000 miles on the zong has only been on one long ride most of the time it makes trips between fishing holes checked them at 500/1000/1500 2500 and found intakes too be a little loose. and exh.were fine Was stalling at idle and wile downshifting found one tight exhaust runs great again it lives at 7500 to 8000 rpms guess i just don't ride it hard enough really love my limited blue they stopped making them just to fast

Old 05-09-2017, 11:08 AM   #89

Too many sources of (dis)information

Just did mine at about 600 miles. I wish I had read this thread first. I read at least twice through the CSC tutorials online and it seemed like a great walk through but didn't realize the shortcomings till I actually had the bike in pieces. I went to a different site to figure out how to remove the gas tank, figure out which direction to crank to find TDC, and other small stuff and about half of the instructions were wrong.

By the way, am I the only one with a runny gas tank? Instead of just catching residual fuel from the fuel lines my entire gas tank ended up emptying out while I was toiling away on the valves.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:32 AM   #90

Rather than fully removing the tank I simply lift the front end of it and put a 2x4 on end that is about a foot long there which gets the tank out of the way and I don't have to disconnect any wiring or hoses and no fuel spillage.