Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2018, 01:31 PM   #1

Highest mileage Hawk ?

It would be interesting to see the highest mileage HAWK out there and what history it has since day one.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:43 PM   #2

With a touch under 2,000 miles, I doubt I get any gold stars for the highest mileage Hawk out there. http://chinariders.net/attachment.ph...1&d=1521339634

However, I'll bet my Hawk has gone the furthest in the back of a U-Haul truck! http://chinariders.net/attachment.ph...1&d=1521339634
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mileage.jpg (73.1 KB, 7356 views)
File Type: jpg Trip.JPG (48.3 KB, 7223 views)

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 03-17-2018, 11:10 PM   #3

Emk...
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 03-18-2018, 12:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
With a touch under 2,000 miles, I doubt I get any gold stars for the highest mileage Hawk out there. http://chinariders.net/attachment.ph...1&d=1521339634

However, I'll bet my Hawk has gone the furthest in the back of a U-Haul truck! http://chinariders.net/attachment.ph...1&d=1521339634

Nice cluster!

Old 03-18-2018, 05:17 AM   #5

I think of the current active members with an RPS Hawk, Wolftrax is probably in the top three, if not the top. Not sure how many miles it has currently, but it is several thousand.

Since this same basic motor is used in pretty much every Chinese made enduro, there are other examples, assuming you are looking for reliability. I know one member on here got over 50,000 Miles out of a TMEC 200. Another member has a TT250 with around 30,000 miles.

Take care of these motors and they will run and run and run and run.

Then when they do wear out, you can do a full hardcore rebuild - new crank, rod, piston, jug, and head, for about 300 bucks, or just buy a whole new motor for about $500. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I am at a hair over 1800 miles on my Hawk after 9 months of ownership, and maybe 4 or 5 months actually riding it.

History? Well in simple terms, borderline obsessive compulsive disorder on oil changes during break ins combined with valve checks with every oil change in the first 1000 miles (I think it was 7 in total from mile zero lol). Engine compression settled around the 600 mile mark and is still as strong as ever ( I check it with every valve adjustment).

I also replaced all of the other fluids before ever riding it. Upgraded the wheel bearings to higher quality units, changed rear sprockets 4 times and the front twice, chain twice (upgrade, then upgrade the upgrade). Greased every possible greaseable item during assembly, just did that again this weekend.

I also went through the bike after a few hundred miles and re-torqued the head bolts and checked other festeners like the motor mounts. Head bolts did actually need it a tiny bit, so it's worth checking during or right after break in at least once. I just checked again and they didn't budge.

I could write a book...and I have. You should see my service and notes I keep for all of my bikes. I have a problem, I know.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Last edited by Megadan; 03-28-2018 at 09:45 PM.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:23 AM   #6

Megadan, given your OCD maintenance schedule I would expect your bike to live longer than you.
I’d be more curious to hear from people who, after the initial adjusting, lubricating and tweaking, just ride the bike and do the basic scheduled oil change and valve adjustment. That would represent a more realistic reliability index.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:40 PM   #7

I'm at exactly 3000 miles (4250 odometer, 1.42x error) on my Hawk. Mine is a 2015, tagged in 12/15. I originally bought it to access some back areas of my deer lease, but I've liked having it around so much, I keep it at the house and fart around on it running errands and stuff. Longest round trip has probably been about 100 miles.

It's almost completely stock - only mods are a 17T front, some redneck adjustments to the stock carb, and the airbox mod. Like virtually everyone, I had to set the valve clearance initially. I've probably had to adjust and maintain everything a little bit, but just what I would consider routing maintenance.

Worst thing that has happened is I hit a patch of algae crossing a creek at about 500 miles and laid it down. Scrapped up some stuff, replaced a mirror, had to realign the triple-t, and reassembled the steering. But no long term problems from that. Only other minor thing was a bad weld on the gas tank that I fixed with JB Weld - that's been holding OK for about 800 miles now. The sliding key cover on the gas cap didn't survive a drop. One of the rear spokes broke, but I'll replace that when I get around to the tires. New battery too.

I'm hitting the point for some maintainance. Knobbys are just about shot - I already have new tires waiting. Since I've been spending 90%+ on asphalt, I'm going with 50/50s and I'll drop the rear sprocket to a 45T. I should mentiong though, that even with the 17/50 I've been using, along with the carb mod, that kept me in the low 60s when I've had to get on a bigger road. I'm going to install heavy duty tubes and finally get some fork oil or ATF into the forks themselves. I hope that will get me another 3000.

That's about it - not too bad for a $1300 bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015hawk.jpg (85.2 KB, 7432 views)

Old 03-18-2018, 02:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloman View Post
Megadan, given your OCD maintenance schedule I would expect your bike to live longer than you.
I’d be more curious to hear from people who, after the initial adjusting, lubricating and tweaking, just ride the bike and do the basic scheduled oil change and valve adjustment. That would represent a more realistic reliability index.
Uh, you mean me? Most of that work was done during assembly, and at the start of every year I do what should be done to every bike. Check and change fluids, grease/lubricate things, and get the bike ready for a new season of riding.

Those 7 initial oil changes? One was done immediately to drain the factory "oil" before running the bike. The second was done after the initial run and break in of about 30 minutes. After that I did a progressively harder break in, which meant I changed the oil as it was contaminated by hydrocarbons.

After the 6th oil change I had gone 400 miles, then parked the bike for the cold months. I just changed it for the start of this year and it won't get changed again for at least 500 miles (the realistic oil change interval). I was not gentle to my bike in it's early life, hence the OCD fluid checking and changing.

Nothing abnormal about that or any other the other changes/upgrades done.

Kind of like checking and adjusting the spokes. I do this once a week, but ideally it should be done as part of a pre-ride.

Beating the snot out of a bike and not doing any of the things I have done, which has lead to me finding out the cause for the sprocket failures btw, results in posts like "My bike just died or exploded," "My wheel just came off," or "Misfires and wont start." Or me complaining about my brakes not working right, breaking a spoke, saying my suspension sucks, or something started leaking. All things I have seen with bikes with less than or up to 1000 miles.

So, think it is "unrealistic" all you want, but I will continue to rack on the trouble free miles because I track things and I am proactive about potential issues. Maybe one day I will ride by you on the side of the road.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post

while not in the back of a uhaul truck but on a carrier on a truck 18,330 miles!
got around 2700 miles or so on mine couple oill changes. still running the oem chain and it has lots of adjustment left. still running the original brake fluid and fork fluid that came in it without any problems. only problem i can think of came from throwing the chain and it cracked the sprocket cover and a few minor oil leaks here and there that tightening fixed.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 03-25-2018, 09:15 PM   #10

Meloman
Not sure it is the highest, but my 2015 Hawk has 5092 Miles! (8197 Kilometers). Most of the miles were put on in 2016, after I bought it for $650 because of a bent valve @ 500 miles. (P.O. over revving, said he had yz's as a kid and didn't know what happened) BraaaaaaaaaaP0P! or a Keeper just slipped...
Fluids: 92 octain, Rotella 20-50(1k -1.5k interval), dot-3
Repairs/Maintainence: Intake Valve, Keepers and Springs, Valve Adjustments, Brake Light Switch, couple sets of Mirrors, Welded Seam in Gas-tank, Chain @ 2k, Replaced Stock Knobies @ 3.5k with Shinko 700s, a few wire connections, and 2nd New Battery (last week)
Mods: Shimmed Slide Needle, opened needle jet to 2.5 turns, NGK Plug, added 2nd brake master, to control front brake with foot, moved right wired controls to Left. 17t, LED Bulbs, new Scott Grips, 2 Cramp Busters, Faster Twist Throttle, DeCat @ 5k ( No Difference)
Possible Concerns: Bent Front Wheel, 1 Broken Spoke Rear Wheel 4000 miles ago, and various broken plastic
Loves: 130+/- hours in the saddle, Economy and yes Reliability

Best, Lefty

2015 Hawk 250
2006 883 Sportster
1972 Honda CT70
Lost along the way;
1982 GS1100L
1983 Honda 185s 2ea.
1974 Puch 175mx
Right Arm

Old 03-28-2018, 09:35 PM   #11

hey lefty not sure what part of NH you're in but I'm building a place in dalton. Once I get settled in there we will have to do a run up Mt Washington.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
hey lefty not sure what part of NH you're in but I'm building a place in dalton. Once I get settled in there we will have to do a run up Mt Washington.
Pistolclass,
Dalton is a nice area, looked into land myself there abouts. You bet I'm in for a run up the mount. The last time up was in a race RX7 at 3/4 speed plenty fast enough for me. I am in Gilmanton south of Whinni. so the ride up may need me to load her up in the truck (90+- miles one way but doable.)

Best, Lefty

2015 Hawk 250
2006 883 Sportster
1972 Honda CT70
Lost along the way;
1982 GS1100L
1983 Honda 185s 2ea.
1974 Puch 175mx
Right Arm

Old 03-30-2018, 11:16 PM   #13

I wouldn't mind joining you guys up Mt. Washington! I live in lyndeborough, NH so I would definitely have to truck up. But that sounds like a blast and one of those bumper stickers would look dazzling on hawk.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:30 PM   #14

Yeah I'm right around 5000 miles. My speedometer quit working this winter. All I can say about the Hawk, is it always starts and the engine seems to be bombproof. I've got mine pretty much tuned into where it's a reliable high maintenance daily travel bike. Perhaps the best mod was Dan's 520 chain replacement. I haven't had to fiddle a bit with it since the initial adjustment.

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 03-31-2018, 06:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrax View Post
Yeah I'm right around 5000 miles. My speedometer quit working this winter. All I can say about the Hawk, is it always starts and the engine seems to be bombproof. I've got mine pretty much tuned into where it's a reliable high maintenance daily travel bike. Perhaps the best mod was Dan's 520 chain replacement. I haven't had to fiddle a bit with it since the initial adjustment.
I wish I could take credit for the 520 conversion, but that came from another member here. I just made sure to document it for future use and other members. It is definitely a good upgrade. 428 chain is just too close to the edge of durability with a 300lb bike and a 230cc engine if you put it through any sort of strain, at least in my opinion.