Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2006, 04:50 PM   #1

Found my way in here

I was selling chinese bikes for a while, wound up keeping a few. Need to get rid of a few, but I'm keeping my Diamo LS200 which is basically a Lifan I think. I've got uses for it on and off road.

Just kinda wanted to hang here and get educated on these Chinese marques. It's a big confusing. This same 200cc DP bike in various forms is offered under seems like a hundred different names by a hundred different importers. They're all cheap and easy to own, though.

Been riding for 40 years, raced most of my life. I remember when Japanese bikes were considered junk, so I have an open mind on the subject.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:33 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RPM
Great to have you onboard here, tz.

Glad that you were able to find us here and look forward to any input that you can put on here that will help some folks out.

I am also a die hard rider for my last 33 years and have done the same thing as you mentioned ... keeping an open mind on these new import bikes. I still hear the same old stuff that a lot of you hear, but just as the Japanese had to prove their way, these Chinese units will do the same thing, no doubt! Since they already have a proven engine to work with from the start, it won't take long and I believe the improvements will come much faster than most expect.

Old 07-12-2006, 09:36 AM   #3

Well, from my experience, the main thing the Chinese need to improve on is electrics, pretty cheesy. The fit and finish is sub standard, but the little engines just run and run. I worry a little about quality of metal mainly just because the detractors site that as a downfall, but I haven't seen it yet.

I have two bikes now I've ridden a lot, a Jincheng 150 I got from Midwest and the Diamo LS200. I'll probably sell the Jincheng cause I don't ride it much, but it sure is a hoot to ride off road, a little TTR clone with a 150cc engine that's really well built. It is an impressive bike, but was more expensive than some of the other bikes around, the Diamo in particular and the little Kasumas. I've jumped this thing, really rung it out off road and it just takes it in stride.

A friend of mine runs Metric Motorcycles in Houston and he races minis with us in Texas Mini GP ( http://www.tmgps.8k.com ). He bought a 700 dollar 110cc electric start auto clutch bike running in the lightweight class and they won the lightweight novice endurance class with it last year. That thing was fast and reliable! I'm stuck with a couple of little XR70 clones here left over from when I was selling them. Guess I'll have to take a loss to sell 'em, but was thinking of turning one into a mini racer. The parts interchange with XR70 stuff. They have the lifan 90cc motor, though. I could take it out to 110cc, put street tires on it. Then, I'd have to spring the suspension and figure something out for a shock. There are lots of racing parts for XR70s though and that shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, I was impressed with Andy's little chino bike. A season of endurance racing is one heck of a proving ground for a motorcycle. They had only one problem that I remember, a clutch problem in the last race. Avoiding DNFs is half the battle in an endurance racing championship.

In case you're wondering what sort of racing I'm talking about, it's road racing little motorcycles. Here's a picture of me on my KX (157) chasing down Joe Prussiano on his takegawa stroker 150cc XR100 in an expert unlimited sprint race.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:45 PM   #4

Hey TZ. It's great having a racer here. I think the image of China bikes has changed for the way better. Just up to a little while ago, people were still lumping these bikes into the "bought at Pep Boys" category. (That was like, so, 2001-2003). Yes, we know that we did not get a $5000 bike for under $1500, but we also did not get a $50 bike that breaks when you look at it!