Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2016, 01:23 AM   #1

Lifan dual sport 200cc

Hey guys,
This will be my first post on this site.

I recently bought a Lifan 2007 200cc dual sport motorcycle in a private sale.
I've driven the bike about 200km with no problems so far (off road).

I've owned Yamaha yz dirtbikes my entire life (80cc, 125cc), but I wanted to buy a bike that I can ride on the road also without having to pay 7-10k for.

*my favorite was the tw-200 but the price was around $7-8k brand new*

Since I've never insured a bike for on road, and I've never bought a "Chinese" motorcycle, I have a few questions.

1. Do the insurance companies know about these motorcycles? and how much am I looking at spending per year with an M1 motorcycle license -CANADA-

2. What kind of maintenance should I be looking at after buying this motorcycle? Oil changes every 500km? how can I buy a new parts for this motorcycle if I need too?

I really am mechanically de-clined... lol

I love riding the trails, but in order to get to the trails without loading my bike into the truck, I have to drive to them... which is the biggest reason I bought this bike... another big reason is I love to fish, and I catch my walleye at night.. I need a light to get to my spots, which is a lot easier when driving a motorcycle that can handle off road terrain and has a large headlight to guide me there.

I honestly would love to hear all feedback, even from trolls!! But I hope to hear from experienced guys that can help me in my travels with my dual sport bike!
Thanks
-Jordan
p.s. Feel free to PM me if you're a hunter, CGN'er, gun lover,or fisherman.
I can help with all of the above unless you're a professional

Old 07-04-2016, 05:27 AM   #2

Engine is based on Honda CG125 design
U can get ideas from http://josemaco.files.wordpress.com/...h-62ktjam5.pdf
Maintenance schedule 3-3 | Valve clearance / bolt torque / wiring ...
===
Change motor oil / brake fluid ASAP since it's a '07 bike...

Old 07-04-2016, 07:30 AM   #3

I have the same bike, bought new in 07. Don't know about Canadian insurance but do know about maintenance. You should be able to find an PDF owners manual online and I recommend downloading a Honda CG125 factory service manual. Maintenance is oil change every 2000 km and valve adjust about every 4000 km.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:15 AM   #4

Welcome aboard and congratulations on the Lifan purchase. Ride safe and have fun

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 07-04-2016, 10:48 AM   #5

Your insurance will be relatively expensive with just your m1 $500 at least ,but once you get a real licence it will drop into the $2-300 range .What part of ontario are you from ?

Old 07-04-2016, 11:38 AM   #6

As I sometimes miss my Hi-Bird, that pic brings a tear to my eye.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 07-06-2016, 01:27 AM   #7

Thanks to everyone that has responded so far!
I am in the Ottawa area Bruce, Thanks for the PDF Human, and I want to reiterate that I am mechanically DE-CLINED!
If it weren't for youtube video's I would be pretty much F*ck*d.

Now back to my bike!

I know that this bike is an '07 but it's hard to tell that it's 9 years old.
The original owner put a digital speedometer, and changed the headlights to a very nice super bright LED.
It looks to me that he's changed the original colors from Yellow and blue, to Grey and Black.

The bike runs great!! It starts with one touch of the electric start, and 1 kick from the kick start.
I haven't tried to bump start it yet, but that's how I used to get a lot of my bikes started lol.

The rear suspension when driving off road is quite bad... The best way I can describe it is "It's very tight" I don't know how to fix this.. I think I am quite a bit heavier than the original owner and maybe he adjusted it to fit his weight?
That being said, when driving the bike on-road, the bikes suspension feels very nice!
But I've never had an on-road bike, so I don't really know how the suspension should feel.
I had my wife on the bike with me and the rear fairing was hitting the wheel when we were driving in the grass.
When I was driving off road, I noticed that if I didn't stand on the pegs while hitting a considerable bump, I would jump uncomfortably high on the seat.

When changing gears it feels a bit weird.. If I am not at a very close rpm to change I feel a bit of lag and "chugging"... I looked at the sprocket and it looks like there are A LOT of teeth.. The chain seems to hold up quite nicely though...

I am so happy that I bought this bike, and the only reason I bring up the bad in it is because I am looking for help.

Does anyone know where I can find replacement parts for this bike?
Thanks!
-Jordan

Old 07-06-2016, 07:34 AM   #8

Rear suspension is nothing to brag about even when it's working as designed. It is heavy duty though and will carry a big load. Most common problem is the suspension pivot bushings drying out and binding. They are lightly greased at the factory but quickly dry out and need to be re-greased yearly. To do that you have to take them apart. I put zerks in mine to make it easy.

Many parts for this bike are generic such as tires, tubes, sprockets, chain, etc., and the parts that aren't can often be found on eBay or from a Chinese bike parts supplier.