Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro

Old 04-15-2014, 01:58 PM   #1

Countershaft Sprocket Replacement

Guys, I learned my Vento's countershaft sprocket is worn and need to be replaced. I stopped by Yamaha dealership and asked about the sprocket. They don't have it but will order as soon as I pay the half ($13) and will get it by next week. I read Soud's thread "Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 Countershaft Sprocket Replacement" but not sure if the Yamaha c. sprocket is the same as the PBI sprocket Spud used . I wonder if the Yamaha's sprocket will fit the Vento's countershaft.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:16 PM   #2

I believe them to be identical. I'm using a PBI on my Yamaha.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-15-2014, 11:08 PM   #3

Yes, you can use the Yamaha, TW200, counter shaft (C/S) sprocket, or any aftermarket C/S sprocket designed for the Yamaha TW200. However, the Yamaha TW200 sprocket employs two 5x10mm bolts for the sprocket retainer, while the Zongshen 200GY-2 sprocket employs two 6x10mm bolts. Therefore, you will also need to purchase the smaller, 5x10mm bolts.

Please note, you are going to need to drain the engine oil, and remove the entire, left crankcase cover in order to replace the C/S sprocket. Therefore, I suggest you strongly consider doing the crankcase cover modification shown in the following thread.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=5081

I suggest you also purchase a new gasket for the left crankcase cover. You might damage the original gasket when you remove the cover.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-16-2014, 01:14 AM   #4

Thanks guys for your help. I will stop by the Yama's shop to order the c.s. this wed. I did remove the crankcase already in order to clean up the electric starter (it's been failing, sometimes work, sometimes not). I had to remove the left crankcase due to the way it was installed the screw on the starter. I got a hex bolt (same size) and will mount on the right side (head bolt) in case the starter needs service. Also, I will check the jet needle's notch (if it's at the middle, the third one) and remove the main jet to get the kit or a bigger one. However, 3 of 4 are stripped bolts and wonder how to remove them. I think will not ride the Vento for about two weeks until get the c.s at least. Not sure how long will take to get main jet and fork seals (if I don't find them at the Yama and Honda's shop)

Old 04-16-2014, 10:10 AM   #5

So we're clear, can you show us where the stripped bolts are located?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-17-2014, 01:40 AM   #6

The stripped bolts are those holding the carb bowl. I used the dremel and flat screwdriver to take them off. I removed the main jet and took it to the shop but nobody sells this guy. On the other hand, Honda (according to Spud's suggestion) sells the oil seal fork for $30 each one which I think is very expensive. Is there another model or what about the seals that use the TW200? maybe they're cheaper than the Honda ones.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hect75 View Post
The stripped bolts are those holding the carb bowl. I used the dremel and flat screwdriver to take them off. I removed the main jet and took it to the shop but nobody sells this guy. On the other hand, Honda (according to Spud's suggestion) sells the oil seal fork for $30 each one which I think is very expensive. Is there another model or what about the seals that use the TW200? maybe they're cheaper than the Honda ones.
you might be able to buy a commercial equivalent part from your local SKF dealer. these seal are stock parts, you just have to know what the part # is. measure the outside and inside diameters and the thickness then look for the same dimensions here http://www.skf.com/binary/21-129139/...10919_2-EN.pdf
when you find the part # you should be able to order it from an industrial supply store. I recently bought some 35mmx25mmx4mm oil seals for about $6 each. I would think the fork oil seals are similar.
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 04-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #8

X2.

If you can take your seal sample into a local bearing shop, they might be able to match it.

Have you looked at www.jetsrus.com?

Old 04-19-2014, 01:58 AM   #9

Nope but I will do it. Thanks for the tip.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hect75 View Post
Your Zongshen forks are very different from Yamaha TW200 forks. Therefore, you can't use TW200, fork oil seals. As I documented in my fork oil thread, the Zongshen, fork oil seals have the following dimensions.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=10266

Outside diameter: 50 mm
Inside diameter: 37 mm
Thickness: 11 mm

Besides getting the fork oil seals for the '09 Honda CRF150R, you can also purchase the Zongshen, fork oil seals from Taobao.

As I detailed in my carburetor jet thread, you Teikei MV28 carburetor can use Mikuni N102/221, main jets, which you can purchase from Rocky Mountain ATV.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6501

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...in%20jet%20150

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-23-2014, 04:29 PM   #11

Thanks spud for the oil seals size. By the way, I watched some videos on youtube about cleaning fork oil seals. In one of the videos, they claimed that nearly 90% of oil loss is due too dirt on seals. There is one product called Dr. Seal or sealmate (or soemthing) to clean up oil seals. I tried this approach but removing the dust seal was impossible . It seems it's stick into the tube. I don't want to screw up the dust seal with the flat screw driver . What would you recommend for removing this guy?

Old 04-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #12

You're welcome.

You can certainly try the SealMate; it doesn't hurt to experiment. If you are patient, and use a very small, flat blade screwdriver, you can carefully pry the dust seals down the fork tubes.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-24-2014, 12:33 AM   #13

I've had good luck with a Sealmate, but I've only tried it on conventional forks.