Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2023, 09:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by btr22 View Post
I changed my fork oil to 15w. Procedure was very simple. I measured 260 ml in each fork but that was with a kitchen measuring cup. I put back in a tad more. I think there is more stiffness but it’s not night and day. The rebound still seems violent. If the wheel gets in the air the shocks extend back down with a bang. That may be normal for a dirt bike but I have nothing to compare to. This is my first dirt bike. I ride on and off road with 15lbs of air front and back. Is there anyway to slow down the rebound??
I recently went to Famous Reading Off-road park and discovered just how bad the Templar forks are. Even with 15w oil and Henner's maximum preload spacers I bottomed the forks hard several times. I also felt and heard a bang when the front wheel came up and the forks topped out. Apparently KKE didn't install adequate bump stops. I've already added 10ml more than oem fill and plan to add another 10ml to see if I can reduce the impact when bottoming out.

I'm also looking into adding schrader valves to the fork caps so I can stiffen up the too-soft spring rate. I'm not sure how well this will work with cartridge forks but it worked for me with damper rods. Some guys on FB filled with 30w which seems pretty heavy but 15w still feels kind of light to me. Maybe 20-30w oil will help.

Old 06-22-2023, 10:21 PM   #17

Could they just be swapped out for a better fork?
Seems like turning a sows ear into a silk purse otherwise
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350 “Trigger”

Old 06-22-2023, 11:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okierider View Post
Could they just be swapped out for a better fork?
Seems like turning a sows ear into a silk purse otherwise
Yes but $$$. I'm willing to settle for a pig skin wallet. perhaps I might find a good deal on some used forks.

Old 06-23-2023, 06:45 AM   #19

I’d consider buying some better adjustable forks. So far the forks are the only disappointing part of the bike for me. If anyone knows what would fit in the stock clamps please share! Would the X shocks fit?

Old 06-23-2023, 01:42 PM   #20

Quote:
I’d consider buying some better adjustable forks. So far the forks are the only disappointing part of the bike for me. If anyone knows what would fit in the stock clamps please share! Would the X shocks fit?
I keep forgetting that there are other Templars now.
My X forks have yet to bottom out but I’m not that hard on it.
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350 “Trigger”

Old 06-23-2023, 02:00 PM   #21

I haven't noted any such issues on my X. But I have yet to really "exercise" the suspension. Looking forward doing so though and I will definitely be on the lookout for these issues.

Old 06-23-2023, 06:14 PM   #22

Quote:
The X forks probably fit but are 80mm longer which will have an big effect on steering geometry. The Templar forks are 830mm long and X forks are 910mm long. Joe Henner Motorsports on Facebook may be able to help tune the OEM KKEs or suggest something better.

IMO the best option is to find used forks from a top tier bike but doing so probably won't be easy. I'm still looking at various options like Alibaba, eBay, etc. GL

Old 06-23-2023, 06:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
I haven't noted any such issues on my X. But I have yet to really "exercise" the suspension. Looking forward doing so though and I will definitely be on the lookout for these issues.
In my case the biggest fork problem is my weight. I weigh 250 lbs and need stiffer springs and damping rates to match. Adjustable forks would help with the damping rates but I'd still need stiffer springs. I may have to disassemble my forks again to measure the springs so I can begin the search for replacements. In the mean time I'm going to try adding schrader valves and some air pressure to supplement the springs. Maybe heavier oil too.

Old 06-23-2023, 09:21 PM   #24

These look very interesting.

https://polarbearpart.com/products/5...t-fork-a12-a15

Old 06-23-2023, 09:38 PM   #25

The polar bear shocks do look interesting. The description says compression and rebound adjustments but I don’t see any knobs on either end of the fork. Freddy, do the brake mounts and shock body diameter line up to the Templar base shocks? I assume you checked already .

Old 06-23-2023, 09:47 PM   #26

Quote:
The polar bear shocks do look interesting. The description says compression and rebound adjustments but I don’t see any knobs on either end of the fork. Freddy, do the brake mounts and shock body diameter line up to the Templar base shocks? I assume you checked already ������.

Do you see the flathead screw on the top of the forks, just like the adjustable KKE forks on the Templar X. Probably has the same on the bottom, like the KKE forks.

Last edited by Thumper; 06-24-2023 at 06:08 AM.

Old 06-23-2023, 10:00 PM   #27

Quote:
The polar bear shocks do look interesting. The description says compression and rebound adjustments but I don’t see any knobs on either end of the fork. Freddy, do the brake mounts and shock body diameter line up to the Templar base shocks? I assume you checked already ������.
Yeah, it's weird that the photos show non-adjustable forks but the description states that they are adjustable. I haven't verified fitment yet but the lowers may need to be swapped over assuming the same stanchion diameter.

Old 06-24-2023, 06:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddy View Post
Yeah, it's weird that the photos show non-adjustable forks but the description states that they are adjustable. I haven't verified fitment yet but the lowers may need to be swapped over assuming the same stanchion diameter.
OEM KKE forks on the Templar X have no knobs either. They adjust with flathead screwdriver. There is a flathead screw on the polarbears top. I am sure that's the adjustment ... the bottom probably has the same flathead screw adjustment.

Old 06-24-2023, 11:50 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
OEM KKE forks on the Templar X have no knobs either. They adjust with flathead screwdriver. There is a flathead screw on the polarbears top. I am sure that's the adjustment ... the bottom probably has the same flathead screw adjustment.
Okay, thanks. I thought that screw was the air pressure relief screw. Either way, if they claim they are adjustable for compression and rebound I believe them.

Old 06-24-2023, 01:44 PM   #30

Well, someone is going to have to be the Guinea pig and order these. I nominate Freddy. Let us know how it goes.