Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2019, 10:05 PM   #1

Engine rebuild

So my piston blew up my engine again luckily it was stilll under warranty and txpowersports sent me new pieces to try and rebuild. They sent me a new piston, cylinder, jug, crankshaft and gaskets. So now I need to remove all busted pieces from case. My question is what is the best way to remove all metal from case. Should I use a tub of diesel fuel to rinse everything out. Any help and tips on doing this really appreciated guys. Thanks

Old 04-19-2019, 10:09 PM   #2

Pics of the damage
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (82.6 KB, 514 views)

Old 04-19-2019, 10:09 PM   #3

More pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (95.2 KB, 515 views)

Old 04-19-2019, 11:40 PM   #4

They should send you a whole new engine.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:43 PM   #5

yeah, putting all that work on you. How the heck does it blow up twice. There must have been an issue there that wasnt fixed with the replacement. Maybe something with timing?

What were you doing to break it this time and last time? how much actual engine run time did you get? because these engines can generally take quite a beating. My hawk has 11.5 compression and I like to run it hard.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:39 AM   #6

At this point I would have them send me new bearings for everything as well. Those metal fragments get in everything.

As far as cleaning it. Diesel or kerosene works. A parts washing detergent works. It really just depends on what you are after.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-20-2019, 02:45 AM   #7

They should send a new engine n get this bucket of bolts back
That’s crap service for such major failure

Old 04-20-2019, 10:01 AM   #8

Yeah I agree I should have got a new engine. But I didn’t want to push it. Engine has about 8000 miles on it. I’ve had it for about 9 months and ride it to work every day most of that on freeway. First thing they said was I must not have broke in correctly or kept up with maintenance. This being the second engine I’ve made sure to keep up with it usually oil change every weekend and I did proper break in. This time I was going about 65 on freeway and it just died sounded like my exhaust was dragging but nope. I’m gonna try to get it running today or tomorrow and just rinse everything out with diesel real good. I’ll let y’all know how it goes

Old 04-20-2019, 12:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit Hawk View Post
Yeah I agree I should have got a new engine. But I didn’t want to push it. Engine has about 8000 miles on it. I’ve had it for about 9 months and ride it to work every day most of that on freeway. First thing they said was I must not have broke in correctly or kept up with maintenance. This being the second engine I’ve made sure to keep up with it usually oil change every weekend and I did proper break in. This time I was going about 65 on freeway and it just died sounded like my exhaust was dragging but nope. I’m gonna try to get it running today or tomorrow and just rinse everything out with diesel real good. I’ll let y’all know how it goes
65mph = 110kmh on this pushrod engine on highway seems too much. I read somewhere that on this engines max speed for prolonged length of time is 80kmh. My bike fits into this frame - comfortable speed for the engine is about 60kmh, on 80kmh there are more noices, but kind of acceptable, and 100-110kmh I have driven it only for a few seconds, because I have bad feeling that the engine does not like it and it could blow.

About the engine washing, when I had gearbox problems, 2 years ago, when i split the case in half, I preassure washed it (everything was removed from the cases - just aluminium left), putting attention to the oil passages which go through engine block. I first degreased them, then pressure washed.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivi View Post
65mph = 110kmh on this pushrod engine on highway seems too much. I read somewhere that on this engines max speed for prolonged length of time is 80kmh. My bike fits into this frame - comfortable speed for the engine is about 60kmh, on 80kmh there are more noices, but kind of acceptable, and 100-110kmh I have driven it only for a few seconds, because I have bad feeling that the engine does not like it and it could blow.
There are plenty of guys on here that use our bikes at those kinds of speeds almost every day. for months or even years without issue. I guess it really just depends on what is considered prolonged, but mine survived an over 10 mile run at 60-65mph twice a day getting me to and from work. There are plenty of other guys here that run their bikes at those same kinds of speeds all of the time. There is a reason most of us that do use our bikes like this tend to gear them more like a road bike to try and bring the revs down. My last bike would sit in the low 6000rpm range at 60mph without the throttle having to be wide open, and do so quite happily for long periods of time.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-20-2019, 01:17 PM   #11

Quote:
So my piston blew up my engine again luckily it was stilll under warranty and txpowersports sent me new pieces to try and rebuild. They sent me a new piston, cylinder, jug, crankshaft and gaskets. So now I need to remove all busted pieces from case. My question is what is the best way to remove all metal from case. Should I use a tub of diesel fuel to rinse everything out. Any help and tips on doing this really appreciated guys. Thanks
I pretty well "know" that it gets hot in Houston. So, do you run an oil cooler?..ARH

Old 04-20-2019, 04:43 PM   #12

No oil cooler i really need one. The day it happened was especially hot I decided to not use my riding jacket and was terrified something would happen. But damn it was hot that day. And something did luckily it didn’t lock up on me. I do use synthetic oil. Maybe my high rpms could have been the cause I’m using a 17/50 gearing setup I got a 43 rear sprocket just been liking the 17/50 setup for lower speeds. Well once I get it running no more freeway riding for me, even though I’ve heard of others running it just the same if not more.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:42 PM   #13

If 8000 miles on this cheapest brand then I’d say you did well and lucky any warranty lol

Old 04-21-2019, 11:28 AM   #14

Quote:
No oil cooler i really need one. The day it happened was especially hot I decided to not use my riding jacket and was terrified something would happen. But damn it was hot that day. And something did luckily it didn’t lock up on me. I do use synthetic oil. Maybe my high rpms could have been the cause I’m using a 17/50 gearing setup I got a 43 rear sprocket just been liking the 17/50 setup for lower speeds. Well once I get it running no more freeway riding for me, even though I’ve heard of others running it just the same if not more.
Yes, I think an oil cooler is a good idea for where and how you ride. Make sure you have your carb jetted for your altitude (or lack of it in Houston). Jetted correctly plus an oil cooler and running synthetic oil like you are, I would not be afraid to run the freeways. My only concern about the freeways is how fast every one else is going....ARH

Old 04-21-2019, 11:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
If 8000 miles on this cheapest brand then I’d say you did well and lucky any warranty lol
There are some of these "cheapest brand" motorcycles closing in on 40,000 miles. Back in the late 1950's, an engineer from GM told me "There is no problem designing a $100 water pump that will last a long time in a Rolls-Royce. The trick is in designing a $6.00 water pump that will last more than 100,000 miles in a Chevrolet." ....ARH