Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2006, 12:44 PM   #1

Anybody had a Hensim (particularly the DB150) - long

I'm very interested in this bike:

http://www.hensimusa.com/item.php?id...1d05bb8a4e01eb

but have no experience with Chinese bikes -- I like many others have had Honda XR's and know their track record... so I'm looking for a simple trail bike to ride in the woods and for the same money as a 5 year old Honda I can pick up one of these brand new.... so I'm trying to research them.

I'm in central Ohio and have not yet been able to see one of these bikes first hand. Emails to the company have yet to be returned, so I'll try calling.

Any comments on reliability of Hensim motors would be appreciated -- also, do the frames on these Chinese bikes hold up to normal riding (you know, going over fallen trees, occasional drop off into water or rocks, etc.

I get a lot of negative feedback from people on other forums, but since none of them actually have experience with any chinese bikes I don't put much faith in their comments.

Should I just take the $1000 plunge into the unknown and see what happens???? or buy the 2000 xr 100 where I pretty much know what I'm getting. I'm a little concerned with quality -- some top quality stuff comes from China, but so does a lot of really bad (I mean really cheaply made bad) stuff. I want to believe this bike would be decent trail rider - input is needed... HELP!!!!!! (I understand it's not a motocrosser - and am not looking for it to be --- just fun in the woods.)

Sorry for the book - thanks for reading... any input appreciated.
John

Old 10-27-2006, 03:54 PM   #2

ooops -- I guess this bike was addressed in the other thread "a Western Canadian new to Chinese bikes [longer]" -- sorry.

Old 10-27-2006, 04:42 PM   #3

If you read and believe everything on Thumpertalk, everyone "knows someone who..." (had a Chinese bike and it was the worst thing than anything they have ever seen, fell apart an hour after "their friend" started riding it, had frames that have welds resembling bubble gum, and broke in 8 places, etc. etc. etc.)

I would suggest you look at the Hummer Group which can be linked through here on the home page. Those bikes (of which there are just a few brands) seem to have the goods for what you are thinking about. They look engineered for business, and the few owners of them have good things to say aobut them. I think Venom Motors of Las Vegas has a model, Roketa has an identical model, whoever imports the Hummer brand, and SunL. I would pick one of these over a used XR100 as it has more power. If you asked on Thumpertalk, they would tell you to pick the XR, or, in many cases, buy a 25 year old bike that is essentially a money pit, over any Chinese bike. The key with a Chinese bike is to buy from a reputable dealer who has an actual building with the key word reputable, or if you mail order, to know bikes very well yourself, or have a good friend who does. Actually, the same would be true of a 7 year old Honda, too!

My bad. The group is called the 200chinabike group. You can link to it from 'home' and join them and ask specific questions.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-27-2006, 05:40 PM   #4

Thank you very much - I will check on those other groups. I'm pretty comfortable working on bikes and since there aren't any Hensim dealers in Ohio (at least none I've found -- Hensim USA referred me to a dealer in NY) I will most likely be mail ordering and then assembling it myself.

These bikes have got me so interested... I know I must do more research, but man it's hard not to just pull the trigger and get one.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:48 PM   #5

Well, I decided to pull the trigger and decided on this as the best deal:

http://www.swampcycles.com/catalog/h...a575a77e4354a9

But they have not answered the phone when I called 2 times today -- first call was at 9:45, and they said they opened at 10... so I understand them not answering that, but I left info on their machine and no call back (figured they would get with me by 10:30 if they opened at 10)..... so I call again @ 12:30 and no answer - left another message, and now it's 1:45 and no callback.

So do I give them the benefit of the doubt or do I take this as a sign that they won't be there when/if I need them in the future? I was looking forward to ordering it this morning. :(

Old 10-30-2006, 03:27 PM   #6

Seems to be a bad sign. Try T-Motorsports, for the Shineray bike. People have ordered from them before with good results (enduros, so not too sure about the pure dirt bike), but the cost is the same ($795 + $199 shipping, or if you live close enough, no shipping--free pickup)

www.t-motorsports.com

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 10-30-2006, 03:47 PM   #7

Well, I left another message at 3:10 -- told them I was anticipating ordering today from them or somebody else and that it will probably be somebody else.

The t-motorsports bike doesn't have any frame protection under the motor -- that just won't do for me because if I have to go over a rock or a fallen tree then the bottom of the motor is completly exposed and asking for trouble.

Look at that drain plug setting down there just screaming "Hit me, hit me!!!" (Seems like I've been to 100 sites looking at these bikes for the past 2 weeks...)

I'm going to give these guys a call and see how much more the liftgate residential shipping is:

http://www.autofanatix.com/prodinfo....mber=150HSNDB2

PS. This forum is a great resource -- thank you all for your input and comments.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:38 PM   #8

It's been ordered -- Ray at motofanatix.com was very helpful and just gave me the feeling I was dealing with a top notch person. I never did get a call back from SwampCycle. :(

Anyway, I'm looking forward to my first Chinese bike to add to my 20+ years or riding experiences -- and I'll give updates on the forum so others can read and learn just as I have.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:53 PM   #9

The good thing about this company is they are out of California. 1) they are probably direct importers from China 2) they can have the (state) law come down on them if they don't come through.

Did you notice they don't home deliver automatically (one of the fine prints that you have to look at with these mail order bikes)

Have fun with it!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 10-31-2006, 12:00 AM   #10

yep, I noticed the no home delivery (at least their site made it nice and BOLD - hard to miss) -- that's why I was thinking of going with the company in FL.... home shipping was included in their price, but they never called me back.

Also, I would have to be home when they drop it off and I'm only 15 mins from the drop terminal location.. so it actually works out better for me to save the $50 for home delivery (that's what I was quoted the additional cost would be)

I talked with Ray for probably 30 mins easy on the phone before placing my order... and he had to call me back after researching one of the questions I had -- he confirmed it will have a 16" rear wheel like on Hensimusa.com specs... which is what I wanted. There are several kinds of nice tires in that size, but the 17" rear is a little tricky. Just thinking of the future.
'02 Kawasaki KX125

Old 11-11-2006, 08:32 PM   #11

Just a quick update -- I picked up the Hensim DB150-2 Friday and am still working on the assembly / prep. when I can find time. I want to give this bike the best chance I can to be a success - so I'm really going over it and fixing bolts w/ lock-tite / lock washers, checking torque, etc.... so prep is gonna take longer than usual (otherwise I would have been done in just a couple of hours - really not much to it.... I didn't see an installation manual, but I probably wouldn't have used it anyway.)

I'll give some details after I get it all done so I can just put them all in one post.... but initial thoughts are very good for this bike so far. (even though I've not attempted to start it yet.)
'02 Kawasaki KX125

Old 11-23-2006, 11:28 AM   #12

Hensim Follow-Up?

HI There,
Just wondering if things are still going well with the Hensim 150DB2. I am looking at purchasing 2 (his and hers) as well as a Hensim 110 for our 75 lb 12 year old. They are awful tempting as we are looking at 3 bikes for $2800 (familygokarts.com) to our door. The pics you posted look great and but I just wanted to hear the latest opinion before I pull the trigger. Thanks in advance

Old 11-23-2006, 11:41 AM   #13

ditchdoc:
http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...iewtopic&t=543

Old 11-23-2006, 06:46 PM   #14

Thanks...guess I have tunnel vision and missed it

Old 11-24-2006, 03:32 PM   #15

I'm planning on taking it out this Sunday -- I'll post a report on the other thread about how it goes. It will be my first time getting it out on some decent trails, so we'll see how it does.
'02 Kawasaki KX125