Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2018, 08:25 AM   #16

High Mileage Hawk

I first considered a Hawk after renting two in the Dominican Republic for 10 days. We had a rented a small SUV, but it was pretty much useless on the narrrow roads and impossible parking in the small town we stayed. I found a shop that rented motorcyles and 4 wheelers. For a very reasonable price I rented two for the week. I had never heard of a Hawk before and asked the shop owner who made them, he just told me it was like a Honda from China. I really like the bike and found it would easily carry two people at 50 mph and was fairly nimble over some of the rough and rutted roads. I was impressed as the bike I was riding had over 40,000 (km’s or miles not sure) and started-ran very well and truly reminded me of the XR hondas I had growing up. I am pretty sure everything on the bikes was strictly stock. Only thing I noticed was that the rear sprocket was worn. I asked the shop owner if they were reliable , he told me he changed the oil, put on new tires now and then and that was it. I saw these things on the roads carrying everything from panels of plywood, propane tanks, families of 3-4 and sometimes 4 as well as cases of beer. I was impressed. So it seems that with some care they might be able to rack up some heavy mileage, and even if not with a low cost rebuild you can be back at starting point easy enough.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:54 PM   #17

I always like hearing these horror tales of how hawks are treated, because it shows their resiliency and reliability. It's interesting to hear how much a beating they really can stand.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Noodles View Post
I always like hearing these horror tales of how hawks are treated, because it shows their resiliency and reliability. It's interesting to hear how much a beating they really can stand.
Not to be off topic but I first had a China bike a few years ago. It was actually first bike I've ever had and it was a 07 coolsports 200cc endure. I beat the crap out of it including going thru mud holes up to the foot pegs. As long as maintain them and check them over before every ride they seem to run forever. This is why I'm hoping on getting a hawk here very soon. Plus I can take my boys out in the woods. Oldest boy has a 24v razor dirt bike and youngest can be with me.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #19

First I’d like to say hello I’m new on the page

Just would like to see a high mileage update I follow a few of the guys on YouTube. And interested in getting one used ride a lot when I was younger mainly dirt bikes the got a gsf600 but kinda over going fast and just want a bike I can commute and wheelie with that’s not a pig lol which I know it can do all day with the mods done just looking for highest mileage and how it’s still doing update. Thank you!

Old 02-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #20

Welcome aboard. I'm just a few miles shy of 5000 miles after a 90+ mile ride on Sunday. Bike has held up well. I was going to ride on Saturday but opened the shed door only to find I had a flat rear tire. By the time I broke down the tire and patch one tiny pin hole my back had given out and was laid up for the rest of the day. I just replaced the tire two weekends ago and must of got something in the tire to puncture it. I wiped down the inside the tire with a tack cloth to make sure I got every tiny speck of trash out.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 02-11-2019, 11:17 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
I'm at exactly 3000 miles (4250 odometer, 1.42x error) on my Hawk. Mine is a 2015, tagged in 12/15. I originally bought it to access some back areas of my deer lease, but I've liked having it around so much, I keep it at the house and fart around on it running errands and stuff. Longest round trip has probably been about 100 miles.

It's almost completely stock - only mods are a 17T front, some redneck adjustments to the stock carb, and the airbox mod. Like virtually everyone, I had to set the valve clearance initially. I've probably had to adjust and maintain everything a little bit, but just what I would consider routing maintenance.

Worst thing that has happened is I hit a patch of algae crossing a creek at about 500 miles and laid it down. Scrapped up some stuff, replaced a mirror, had to realign the triple-t, and reassembled the steering. But no long term problems from that. Only other minor thing was a bad weld on the gas tank that I fixed with JB Weld - that's been holding OK for about 800 miles now. The sliding key cover on the gas cap didn't survive a drop. One of the rear spokes broke, but I'll replace that when I get around to the tires. New battery too.

I'm hitting the point for some maintainance. Knobbys are just about shot - I already have new tires waiting. Since I've been spending 90%+ on asphalt, I'm going with 50/50s and I'll drop the rear sprocket to a 45T. I should mentiong though, that even with the 17/50 I've been using, along with the carb mod, that kept me in the low 60s when I've had to get on a bigger road. I'm going to install heavy duty tubes and finally get some fork oil or ATF into the forks themselves. I hope that will get me another 3000.

That's about it - not too bad for a $1300 bike.
That hawk almost looks like a tt250, a few items look identical.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:46 PM   #22

Rate of mileage accumilation slowing

The Hawk now has Ice Talons so she is not racking up the miles like she use to. Total miles 5991 and then the bike that has taken road an dirt duty 2009 Kawasaki KLX250SF with Knobies

Best, Lefty

2015 Hawk 250
2009 Kawasaki KLX250SF
2006 883 Sportster
1972 Honda CT70
Lost along the way;
1982 GS1100L
1983 Honda 185s 2ea.
1974 Puch 175mx
Right Arm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hawk Ice Talons.jpg (21.1 KB, 852 views)
File Type: jpg Chinarider Odometer.jpg (15.2 KB, 849 views)
File Type: jpg chinarider klx250sf.jpg (20.3 KB, 822 views)

Old 03-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #23

motocheez had over 20k on his before giving it to his son, you can youtube his videos.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I wish I could take credit for the 520 conversion, but that came from another member here. I just made sure to document it for future use and other members. It is definitely a good upgrade. 428 chain is just too close to the edge of durability with a 300lb bike and a 230cc engine if you put it through any sort of strain, at least in my opinion.
I just ordered the 520 chain and sprockets and I'm gonna upgrade the sprocket studs to Honda while I've got it apart. I honestly can't remember the last bike I had that ran a 428 chain, maybe it was my XR 250? Either way it just doesn't look stout enough to me given my size and weight. I'm wondering about chain to tire clearance but I guess I'll find out soon enough.