Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2021, 02:47 PM   #1

Heat wrapping the exhaust system???

Hi Everyone,

As you've probably surmised, I FINALLY got my X22R delivered to my house. The bike got here with some damage though. The right side (as you sit on the bike) fairing was melted near where the exhaust pipe makes the bend at the bottom of the engine. What I figure happened is that either in China or here in California, whomever did an engine test let the engine run too long and let it set (where it over heated the exhaust pipe) and melted the fairing.

Now Venom MotorSports has already sent me a new fairing to replace the damaged one, thanks Venom MotorSports, by the way... Way to go...

Now here is my question...

I have been thinking of wrapping the exhaust pipe in Exhaust Heat Wrap Tape but I am concerned that this will just trap the heat in (and near the fairing) and just remelt the NEW fairing all over again. This is why I am also considering just using the OLD fairing until it falls apart (or just melts away).

Should I even use either one of these 2 exhaust wraps or can someone suggest another method or product that would work better than what I am suggesting. Another thing is, why should I wrap the exhaust pipe in the first place, or is this even needed? Does it offer any advantages/disadvantages to do this or not? Also is there another method of wrapping the exhaust system so that it will not effect the fairings or should I even bother doing this.

By the way, here are the two exhaust wraps I am considering using:

And here is the second one:

I kind of like the one with the gold foil on the outside as I think (but I'm not sure) that it would reflect the heat back into (or onto) the exhaust pipe and hopefully help save the NEW fairing from any heat damage, but I could be wrong about this.

Anyway, Thanks in advance for any help (and or tips) about this question...

Take care and ride safe...

Joe...

Old 11-10-2021, 03:03 PM   #2

One of the first things I did was wrap my header because I was afraid the head would melt the plastic. I used the Titanium Header wrap. Actually you want to contain the heat in the header for better performance.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-10-2021, 03:57 PM   #3

Yes, heat wrap protects the plastic by trapping the heat in the piping. That also increases performance. Just take account that you will be making the outer diameter of the piping larger. So, if the clearance between the piping and fairing is already pretty small, you'll be making it smaller, or making it touch. Adjust as needed.

Old 11-11-2021, 05:41 PM   #4

also, heat wrap is a dirt and mud collector... Any performance increase will be extremely negligible.

Should help protect the plastics, and on that bike collecting dirt/mud probably not a big issue.

Old 11-20-2021, 03:36 AM   #5

I wrapped the exhaust on one of my bikes and still burned a hole in my pants when I got a little too close to the pipe. It helps with the heat, but not much. As far as performance goes, you won't notice a difference.

If you do wrap it, go from back to front so the seams are facing rearward instead of forward. It will minimize the dirt collection as much as possible. Also MAKE SURE to wear full protection when wrapping even if you soak the wrap in water first That fiberglass shit is nasty.