Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2022, 02:35 PM   #1

Does what I Want/Need~~even Exist?! (ChinaRiders will Know!) Help

Need something I can mount on the Front or Rear Bumper of my 1991 22' Toyota Micro-Mini "Dolphin" RV. While it is definitely one of the primary requirements that I be able to Have, Bring & Utilize this On/Off Road ?Transportation, Exploration ? MC/Bike type Platform ? with me & my Toyota RV while traveling/exploring/camping the US (which thus means "Hitch Mounting/Loading/Carrying" on my Toyota RV) - it will certainly not be it's only need/want requirement or sole use! More on that latter.....but the one Spec or Factor that seems to keep coming up, hindering me in finding/deciding what I ultimately need/want (hope for) is - WEIGHT!!

I'm guessing that 300lbs (+ or -) is my avg amt I'm working with. My 2" 1,500lbs towing capacity Rear Hitch has already been, and/or can be further upgraded to likely safely handle this weight. And I am sure I can manage the load/unloading of my "bike" also. But how difficult/easy/safe will this process be? There are of course a multitude of other considerations, trade offs, etc. while traveling, such as "overall gvw weight limits, ride dynamics, handling, vision (if mounted on front of RV), theft of MC, rain/sludge/dirt/rocks/road dmg, and others, etc.". Less Weight is definitely, usually Preferable! But less weight brings with it other sacrifices, such as top speed, power, safety, etc.!

I have been diligently reading, studying this fabulous forum/resource and the expert advice/opinions/info from the riders who frequent it. Mucho Thanks!
My first post is already too long, and I do not want to alienate, piss off or waste member's time. It will be hard, but here goes:

I'm 55 - adept at many other adrenaline rush sports ....WindSurfing, Snow Skiing, Tennis, Mnt Biking, etc; AND I used to aggressively ride Single Track on my 1976 TS 185 Suzuki - which I LOVED & have not felt right, comfortable ever since it was stolen in 1980! Paid $785 Cash in 76 & used it to commute to work/college, tennis courts to reliably/flawlessly simply "Light Out" whenever, wherever I wanted!! I MISS & WANT the Freedom/Bliss & ability to Escape by utterly "jumping a curb", exiting a Highway to Explore any trail, path, city, town, etc.

Budget is flexible - anywhere from $1,500 to $5,500. It will be an essential, necessary tool to have/bring while traveling in my RV as a 2nd vehicle, but also a primary "reason" to travel, and provide the platform to explore, adventure, discover, etc.! Less critical, but still important is to be able to use my MC/Bike to use, ride around my hometown as occasional transportation, errands, play around town & to escape town to explore surrounding smaller towns, country, woods, etc.

When not pressed - I prefer taking the back roads, older highways over Interstate Hwy's even when driving/traveling in my Infiniti QX 56 Land Yacht! Don't want/need whatever I decide upon for...Long distance Interstate or other congested, high speed major Highways; however, I may need to or would like to be able to briefly utilize it to access what I really want/prefer, which is exploring the Back Woods, Country, Nature - Discovering Quiet Spots, Creeks, Pastures.

That's enough! Too much prolly. There is a lot out there. It's like my Dad told me about Boats......Son, there is no such thing as the perfect Boat. The right one will be able to safely handle, perform, provide a Few needs/wants - but not all. I'm prolly asking for the impossible, and what may not exist. There are many platforms, brands, sizes, etc. I've discovered on this Forum that would all be good, cool and fun - for many certain & different needs/wants. I may have to priortize, or buy 3 different types - because I want them all on a budget. Ha Ha!

Ideas, Advice, Options are most appreciated.
Great Forum - Great Guys (and Gals)!!

Last edited by MonkeyMuggs; 01-10-2022 at 02:40 PM. Reason: missing title

Old 01-10-2022, 02:43 PM   #2

Don't know what I did wrong - first post.

But I tried to ADD/INCLUDE the Title to the Thread of:

Does what I Want/Need even Exist!? (china riders will know!) Help

Old 01-10-2022, 04:03 PM   #3

I think most of the 200 and 250cc class Chinese dual sport style bikes are less than 300 pounds.

It sounds like what you want is one of those, and a hitch mounted motorcycle carrier. Or maybe a TW200. Or a Trail 125.

Edit to add: My usual blurb about hitch carriers. If you're going to use one, be incredibly mindful of your hitch AND VEHICLE'S tongue weight capacity. This is not the same as tow capacity. Whichever value is lower is the one that counts. The entire weight of the bike and the carrier is suspended in the air on the hitch. The thing is also flapping around like a diving board, acting like a lever on your hitch and its mounting points every time you go over a bump, etc. The tongue weight limit on most unibody vehicles, for example, is typically no more than 250 lbs. And it doesn't matter what the rating of the hitch itself is, because it's still attached to your vehicle somehow, and beyond that rating is when it gets ripped off...

Old 01-10-2022, 08:47 PM   #4

We must have gotten lost in the details.
-The grom clones are great for bumper carriers. If you are a tall guy, the grom clone wont work. The grom guys usually post in the pitbike sub-forum.
-As zero doz said, your other choice is a Chinese dual sport like a Hawk, Brozz, etc. One of the Lifan KP200 bikes could suit you too.
-I think a lot of different bikes we talk about on this forum could suit your needs.

Old 01-10-2022, 10:36 PM   #5

a 1500# hitch doesn't mean your vehicle is rated to carry 1500#.. putting a hitch on a vehicle doesn't magically increase available payload. Uhaul will put a 1500# hitch on a camry if you pay then.

You need to find out what actual available payload you have both front and rear before you can make an assessment of what is safe/doable.

Old 01-12-2022, 11:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
a 1500# hitch doesn't mean your vehicle is rated to carry 1500#.. putting a hitch on a vehicle doesn't magically increase available payload. Uhaul will put a 1500# hitch on a camry if you pay then.

You need to find out what actual available payload you have both front and rear before you can make an assessment of what is safe/doable.
This all day long... i am going to be installing a class III hitch on my new forester in the near future( already have it, just waiting for the NY weather to not be so assinine) class III hitch will be rated for 5-8,000#.... my forester is rated for 2,800#

Old 01-12-2022, 11:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
This all day long... i am going to be installing a class III hitch on my new forester in the near future( already have it, just waiting for the NY weather to not be so assinine) class III hitch will be rated for 5-8,000#.... my forester is rated for 2,800#
Tow rating is mostly marketing BS, available payload will typically run out before you exceed towing capacity. A properly loaded 2800# trailer will put somewhere between 300-560# on the hitch, that's a lot of load for a small SUV. If you don't exceed available payload, you'd at least need a good WD hitch to shift weight to the front so you can steer (and that adds another 80-130# or so ;-).

Physics are a bizatch ;-)

Just noticed you said new, look for a yellow sticker on the drivers door jam... that should clearly list available payload as delivered from the factory... dealer add-ons would subtract from that though..

back to OP's question.

Step one, find the GVWR of your vehicle
Step two: get it weighed ready to travel, loaded with food/lpg/water as you would going on a trip and all passengers/pets/etc.

Subtract actual weight from GVWR and you'll have a good idea how much payload you have available.

I would go one step further and get axle weights, then find out how you're doing as far as axle rating (should be listed on tag with GVWR). That'll help you decide where it's best to put a 300# bike (and possibly 100# for a new hitch on the front if going that route).

In the end it's your responsibility to make sure your vehicle is safe.

Last edited by braindead0; 01-12-2022 at 01:16 PM.

Old 01-12-2022, 01:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Tow rating is mostly marketing BS, available payload will typically run out before you exceed towing capacity. A properly loaded 2800# trailer will put somewhere between 300-560# on the hitch, that's a lot of load for a small SUV. If you don't exceed available payload, you'd at least need a good WD hitch to shift weight to the front so you can steer (and that adds another 80-130# or so ;-).

Physics are a bizatch ;-)

Just noticed you said new, look for a yellow sticker on the drivers door jam... that should clearly list available payload as delivered from the factory... dealer add-ons would subtract from that though..
Its a new-to-me 2011, and it has no add ons, other than the "appearance package" which gives me roof rack rails and aluminum wheels over the 100% base model...LOL as for payload? I honestly could care less what the sticker says as the exact same car in europe is rated for 3527# so its just for the sue happy lawyers that its that low...

Just double checked and us spec is 2400# max tow capacity...

I have towed over 4k with my last forester no problem.... yeah its slow and you gotta plan ahead but it can do it... LOL that may have been part of what blew the headgasket come to think of it...

Old 01-14-2022, 07:32 PM   #9

No, you didn't do anything to it, every Forester has a blown head gasket!

Or had one, or is about to have one!

Old 01-14-2022, 09:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by krat View Post
No, you didn't do anything to it, every Forester has a blown head gasket!

Or had one, or is about to have one!
Hey now, not since 2011 when they switched to the FB motors instead of the EJ ones...LOL they got the oil consumption issues... nothing like getring a new vehicle that burns up to 2 qt in 1k miles... glad mine doesnt have that issue either... that was an only when new type of issue...