Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2021, 09:31 PM   #1

Winterizing Bikes

Here's a question for you.

I am winterizing the bikes and adding fuel stabilizer to the gas.

If my bikes get 100 MPG how far do I need to ride to get the treated gas from the tank, through the fuel line, into the float bowl and spread through the carb passages?

A trip around the block ain't going to do the job I fear.

I may have to call in volunteers, I have several bikes!

Old 11-08-2021, 10:19 PM   #2

Drain the fuel out of the carb/petcock.. if the tank is steel fill with fuel and stabilizer and yo should be good to go.. if plastic just stabilize..

If you want to go the extra mile, pull spark plug and spray oil into the cylinder and crank it over a few times..

A lot depends on storage, if it's in an area that doesn't have large temperature fluctuations you can get away with a lot less winterizing.

Old 11-09-2021, 05:17 AM   #3

Always better to drain the float bowls rather than rely on stabilizers because ethanol can still cause corrosion Filling the bikes with AV gas also works if the bike doesn't have a cat. The battery can be preserved by keeping it charged.

Old 11-09-2021, 08:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
Always better to drain the float bowls rather than rely on stabilizers because ethanol can still cause corrosion Filling the bikes with AV gas also works if the bike doesn't have a cat. The battery can be preserved by keeping it charged.
Good point on battery, forgot about that one as I tend to get in a ride here or there during the winter.

If you have a lithium battery it's a bit less likely to have issues in storage if you have the correct type of charger that can charge to storage voltage.

Lead acid, keep on a maintenance charger and it should be fine, just make sure the charger you use isn't a trickle charger than constantly applies charging voltage...

Old 11-09-2021, 03:29 PM   #5

Add gas to tank with Stabil …. Ride at least 3-5 miles. Upon cooling, shut off petcock, start bike and idle until it dies. Then open drain on carb and leave open several hours to allow all gas to dry up in bowl. Take out plug, a few drops of oil into cylinder, replace plug. Lube chain, clean filter, lightly coat brake discs with mild lubricant. Prop up on stand of some sort, elevating both wheels if possible, release a few pounds of air from the tires so the rubber can take a rest. If suspension has bleeders, bleed all air off upon placing on stand. Cover, and sleep well……. If liquid cooled, add complete system flush to the list. Also, complete full detail scrubbing before any of the above is started, that way adding parts Santa brought you over the Holidays makes the fun easier due to working on a clean machine !
Come Spring, clean bike, fresh fluids, add fresh gas….Enjoy. My routine for decades, never failed me yet! Enjoy it, take an afternoon to give your girl a nice winters nap. Tuck her in good……

Old 11-09-2021, 04:38 PM   #6

I ride year round so my gas or battery never has a chance to go bad. My advise is move to a warmer climate. lol
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-09-2021, 08:57 PM   #7

Just start them every month, its good to keep them running. Just like to hear even in winter.

Old 11-11-2021, 01:15 PM   #8

Deflating your tires is a bad idea unless you elevate the bike as it's likely to cause flat spots. If you're not going to elevate the bike you should actually over inflate them (still within max psi rating).

I've always wanted to see testing for draining the carb or not. Logic says draining is better but once the fuel evaporates does it leave anything to eat away and corrode? It's the ethanol I'm concerned with, it doesn't fully evaporate does it?

"Do Wheelies and Forget your Feelies"

"If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?" -unknown

Old 11-11-2021, 01:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyd View Post
Deflating your tires is a bad idea unless you elevate the bike as it's likely to cause flat spots. If you're not going to elevate the bike you should actually over inflate them (still within max psi rating).

I've always wanted to see testing for draining the carb or not. Logic says draining is better but once the fuel evaporates does it leave anything to eat away and corrode? It's the ethanol I'm concerned with, it doesn't fully evaporate does it?
I deflate tires because the bikes are all on stands, both wheels elevated. As for the fuel, I’ve no clue. I only use “100%” gas, or at least that’s what the sign says. They way I’m doing it has worked for us for over 40 years, I’m not changing a thing……

Old 11-12-2021, 08:48 AM   #10

ya with the bikes elevated I would think the air pressure is less of an issue. 100% non ethanol gas is for sure you're best bet. It's hard to come by around here.

"Do Wheelies and Forget your Feelies"

"If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?" -unknown

Old 11-12-2021, 01:07 PM   #11

I have far more problems with batteries than fuel, in my fleet. I ended up buying tricklers for each bike. Soooooooooooooooo tired of replacing batteries.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350