Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2024, 02:59 PM   #1

SW Missouri Templar X

I've been off dirt scoots for a LONG time. Grew up riding dirt but then took a long break from anything motorcycle related.
Started riding street in '12 with a '91 Nighthawk 750 and have been through a number of different bikes since then.
Current street bike is an '09 Bonneville 900 that I've got setup for light ADV and touring but the dirt roads always beckon.

Ordered a blue Templar X from the usual suspects (PSM) on 2/13. Shipment arrived in good shape on 2/22. Naturally I was out of town for work so I had to wait to check it out until I got home.

Spent Sunday working on getting it assembled. Blue loctite on everything that needed it. Generally happy with the fit and finish, plastics needed some massaging with a dremel, holes in the side plastics for the rear rack are pretty nasty so I'll fix that at some point.

Planning on making some extensions for the upper headlight mounts to move it into a more upright position and help with aiming at things that aren't the top of trees. Also going to get some aux lighting installed and a few other minor personalizations.

40mi into the break in so far. I'm impressed!

Threads are useless without pics so here we go.

Also did my first mod since I had the Dremel out.

Old 02-27-2024, 03:05 PM   #2

For the record, my MCO arrived marked as "Off Road Motorcycle" but I had no issues with titling/tagging. Just to be safe I went the extra mile and got a MO Safety Inspection but it wasn't needed.
Insured through Geico, had to call in to get it manually entered. I had an existing policy with my Bonneville on it, insuring the Templar X was dirt cheap. Only added $10 to my annual policy premium.

Old 02-27-2024, 06:58 PM   #3

Good luck with it, they really are a great price/fun ratio.
GasGas TXT 125

Old 02-28-2024, 04:35 PM   #4

I ordered the same blue version at about the same time as you. I've got about 50 miles on mine. My bike arrived with some damage to the front rim and headlight bracket. PSM sent me out another rim and I bent the bracket back into shape. My plastic panels were a bear to get lined up. My rear tire is at the end of the swingarm so I need to drop a link or two. I've upgraded the battery and placed the rear wiring in some plastic wiring split-channel from Autozone. Haven't tried the DMV yet to title and license. That's a great idea for the key mod!

Old 02-28-2024, 05:14 PM   #5

Also did my first mod since I had the Dremel out.

[/QUOTE]

GREAT idea. I'm going to do this today. It's a needlessly tight fit on mine otherwise.
Triumph Legend TT 900

Old 02-29-2024, 09:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzer77 View Post
I ordered the same blue version at about the same time as you. I've got about 50 miles on mine. My bike arrived with some damage to the front rim and headlight bracket. PSM sent me out another rim and I bent the bracket back into shape. My plastic panels were a bear to get lined up. My rear tire is at the end of the swingarm so I need to drop a link or two. I've upgraded the battery and placed the rear wiring in some plastic wiring split-channel from Autozone. Haven't tried the DMV yet to title and license. That's a great idea for the key mod!

Just ticked over the 50mi mark last night after work.
Planning on getting the bike up on my lift on Saturday and re-checking all the bolts. Sunday afternoon looks good for getting out into the woods and running some forestry roads.

I saw some conversation in the main Templar X thread but has anyone found a USFS approved spark arrestor insert for the stock exhaust?

Old 02-29-2024, 11:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_MO View Post
Just ticked over the 50mi mark last night after work.
Planning on getting the bike up on my lift on Saturday and re-checking all the bolts. Sunday afternoon looks good for getting out into the woods and running some forestry roads.

I saw some conversation in the main Templar X thread but has anyone found a USFS approved spark arrestor insert for the stock exhaust?
This is the one I'm looking at.....it's the one from the youtube video from I think it's "Oregon Trail Rider". I'm hoping other people offer up less expensive options.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...NPUD7ZM4&psc=1
Triumph Legend TT 900

Old 03-02-2024, 03:57 PM   #8

Got out on some local logging roads this afternoon.

Old 03-07-2024, 01:02 PM   #9

Added some Amazon universal hand guards yesterday.

JFG RACING Motorcycle Universal Handguards Dirt Bike Hand Guards For Sur Ron ATV Pit Bike off Road Motocross Enduro MX- Black
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 03-23-2024, 11:57 AM   #10

Also added a FISCH Moto size 30 dual arrestor recently. Wasn't able to get it to sit flush with the tail pipe, will likely wind up removing it, cutting the stinger off and reinstalling flush against the back of the muffler can.

FISCH MOTO Spark Arrestor USFS, UNIVERSAL (Dirt bike, ATV) (KIT 30 (29.5mm-35.4mm / 1.161”-1.394”) Tail pipe) https://a.co/d/002TVfI
1976 Yamaha DT175
1974 Honda MT125

Old 03-24-2024, 10:19 AM   #11

Got around to cutting the rear fender extension down yesterday.
Cut it off just below the license plate mount and drilled a couple of new holes in the plate. Tucks up nicely under the tail light now. Also added a bunch of silicone to the wires on the taillight.

1976 Yamaha DT175
1974 Honda MT125

Old 03-24-2024, 01:16 PM   #12

I'm not seeing any photos? This happens to me in a lot of threads, but mostly older ones. Does anyone know if there's a setting I need to change to be able to see photos? I'm pretty good with mechanical and electrical stuff but computers befuddle me sometimes.
-2024 CSC TT250, stage 3 motocult kit, Nibbi PE28FL with custom-made cable controlled choke, modified stock muffler (larger diameter tailpipe), custom oil cooler installation with relocated stock evaporative emissions canister, oversized stainless steel footpegs, IMS folding tip shifter, a few little blingy bolts and bits. More personal preference mods to come.

Old 03-25-2024, 11:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjocko View Post
I'm not seeing any photos? This happens to me in a lot of threads, but mostly older ones. Does anyone know if there's a setting I need to change to be able to see photos? I'm pretty good with mechanical and electrical stuff but computers befuddle me sometimes.
Not sure mate, pics are showing OK for me on both my PC and Android phone.
You may be able to view them directly by opening the image in a new tab/window? Either a long press on the image (if you're on mobile), or RMB if you're on a PC.
Here's the direct link to one of the pics from my recent post

https://postimg.cc/CzDrj3s5
1976 Yamaha DT175
1974 Honda MT125

Old 03-25-2024, 12:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Not sure mate, pics are showing OK for me on both my PC and Android phone.
You may be able to view them directly by opening the image in a new tab/window? Either a long press on the image (if you're on mobile), or RMB if you're on a PC.
Here's the direct link to one of the pics from my recent post

https://postimg.cc/CzDrj3s5
As it turns out, they show up fine on my iPhone! Thanks for the tips!
-2024 CSC TT250, stage 3 motocult kit, Nibbi PE28FL with custom-made cable controlled choke, modified stock muffler (larger diameter tailpipe), custom oil cooler installation with relocated stock evaporative emissions canister, oversized stainless steel footpegs, IMS folding tip shifter, a few little blingy bolts and bits. More personal preference mods to come.

Old 03-26-2024, 05:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Also added a FISCH Moto size 30 dual arrestor recently. Wasn't able to get it to sit flush with the tail pipe, will likely wind up removing it, cutting the stinger off and reinstalling flush against the back of the muffler can.

FISCH MOTO Spark Arrestor USFS, UNIVERSAL (Dirt bike, ATV) (KIT 30 (29.5mm-35.4mm / 1.161”-1.394”) Tail pipe) https://a.co/d/002TVfI
That's just in need of some more persuading.
Triumph Legend TT 900