Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2020, 10:10 PM   #1

The Free Lawn Mower

So, as mentioned in the Cheesy Manor thread, one of my neighbors gave me a free walk behind mower. Said it needed some work. No, it didn’t need work, it needed a new engine. Upper crank bushing was so worn out that the flywheel was hitting the coil and the carb was loose. The loose carb caused the 27 year old Briggs to run lean and scored the cylinder. In spite of all that, it ran. Badly.

I had a Kawasaki ohv vertical shaft sitting on the shelf that I bought for ten bucks at an estate sale. It was for another project that won’t die, but it didn’t fit, so it sat. I have had it since 2016. I have no clue how long it sat before I got it.

The Kaw looked like a bolt on. Close. The Briggs was held on with 5/16-18, the Kaw with M10x1.5. I opened the holes to 13/32. Odd thing is that the Briggs has a 1” serrated shaft. Never saw that before. Kaw has a 7/8” shaft and uses a Woodruff key. Hence, new blade adapter.

Anyway, give the engine a good going over. Have no spark, so I yank the blower cover and see a rusty magnet and coil. Make those shiny and now have big blue snapper. Replaced the fuel line with new line and clamps, then filled the crankcase with oil. I pulled the rope a few times to get oil into the system. Filled the tank, opened the petcock, and had gas pouring from the carb. Turned out that there was a bowl drain that was open. That made me feel a little better as it wasn’t stored with gas in the carb. Set the throttle on choke and pulled. The little bugger started on the first pull. And every time after. Idle was a bit high, so I lowered that. And that was it. Pretty pleased.

Just need to see that blade adapter and my damn ditch will come to fear me.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 07-14-2020, 11:43 PM   #2

Sounds like a victory! Reminds me of my last mower which had a super tired Briggs quantum 6.5 hp... No bag or side discharge cover so grass went everywhere... I screwed on a chunk of an old Kenda 244 and that kept the trimmings away from me. Poor thing blew out its spark plug while running hard on a 110 degree desert afternoon. I was tired of fixing stuff, so I Left it by the trash and someone took it. I bought another for $40 on OfferUp that runs like a champ.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:11 AM   #3

Those old Briggs flat heads were good engines for what they were. Noisy, stinky, and inefficient. Throw in heavy if it was a cast iron job. We were happy as clams to have them. Doing the points and condenser on the early ones before the Magnetron ignition was introduced was an absolute PITA without the Briggs flywheel tools.

But, times change. The newer ohv engines from everybody are plateaus above the old flatheads. Smaller, quieter, cleaner, powerful, but more complicated. There’s always a trade off.

I still have my Briggs flywheel tools, haven’t used them in 25 years. I also have two Briggs parts and service books going back to the late forties. Both about six inches thick. Currently using them as ballast in my roll around in Beaufort. They’re coming back to me next year.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 07-15-2020, 08:18 AM   #4

nice!!!! if you lived out here i would give ya one of my extra mowers...LOL sitting on 3 deeres and a troybilt right now...

Old 07-15-2020, 08:56 AM   #5

I just picked up a free Craftsman self-propelled mower about two months ago from my neighbor. It couldn't of been more than 3 years old. He's not very mechanically inclined. His solution has always been if it don't work, buy another one. lol I brought it home and started checking it out. Right off the bat the cable for the safety brake was broke. Just happened to have one hanging on the wall from another free mower. Next i pulled the carb. Well this guy had never replaced the air filter. It was completely clogged. The bowel was all gelled up. Big warning lable on the gas cap "Ethanol Free Fuel Only" So got it all cleaned, installed new filter, filled with gas and she fired up first pull. Next i checked the blade. The cutting edge of the blade was almost as wide as the back side. A quick sharpening of the blade with the grinder and she was ready to start cutting.

About five years ago same neighbor through away a 3500 psi pressure washer. It was like new condition. Brought it home, connected it up and started right up but no pressure what so ever. I pulled the tip off and was clogged with rust. Cleaned the tip and still using it today. Got to love dumb neighbors.

I got my eye on his riding mower. He just bought a new one and the not so old one has been sitting for a while.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 07-15-2020, 10:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
nice!!!! if you lived out here i would give ya one of my extra mowers...LOL sitting on 3 deeres and a troybilt right now...
The rewind on the Kaw says John Deere I need to get one of the tear drop shaped air filters for it. And I’m working in Selkirk next week, but flying in and out so I can’t take you up on it.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 07-15-2020, 11:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
The rewind on the Kaw says John Deere I need to get one of the tear drop shaped air filters for it. And I’m working in Selkirk next week, but flying in and out so I can’t take you up on it.
that narrows down what engine you have....LOL you have an engine off a 14s* series then....LOL or an early jx 75... either way i bet ya the motor is a kawi FC150V...LOL

as far as filter,i have a spare, i will send it to ya...LOL