Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2020, 01:46 AM   #1

Location: Living in SE Ohio for now. Good weather, some nice people.
Head Scratching New member in Ohio. Convince me to buy Chinese please.

I've been looking over these Chinese bikes for months and I'm certain that they offer the lowest initial cost of entry into new small bikes. Mods money goes pretty quick with any brand and these Chinese bikes are no different, especially if you can find reliable and quality parts for them.

The Hawk DLX is my prime interest for now, the EFI and ECM are probably worth the extra $500 but I still fear the undeniable poor quality of Chinese products. I've tried to get some specifics on the bike from a Texas distributor but get only sales hype with poor spelling and deplorable grammar.
I have joined this forum with the hope that I will be able to get some straight answers from actual owners. I look forward to having informative discussions regarding the pros and cons of owning a Chinese motorcycle.
My days of hard riding in harsh environments are long gone, I'm looking for an 80/20 street/trails machine for fair weather commuting and weekend fun.

Old 01-02-2020, 02:02 AM   #2

I've only dealt with CSC. I have a TT250 and an RX3. Can't go wrong with them but they are pricier than a hawk. Lots of knowledgeable folks here and I'm sure someone with first hand experience will chime in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg u will buy china bike.jpg (46.8 KB, 559 views)

Old 01-02-2020, 02:09 AM   #3

Here's one of my biggest gripes:
The rear brake cylinder hangs down below the frame. This not only lowers the overall clearance but is going to be the main impact point when clearance is exceeded. I watched a youtube vid and the frustration of the poor guy trying to keep up was not good advertising for these bikes.
Has anyone addressed a possible mod to get rear brake components above the frame?

Old 01-02-2020, 02:12 AM   #4

Great picture! I'm surprised it's just a Magician and not Uncle Sam! The fact is, even those of us riding other brands, are riding Chinese made bikes.

Old 01-02-2020, 07:40 AM   #5

Welcome aboard! I've own my Hawk for 3 years and have just over 7500 mile on it now. It's been a good reliable bike. The EFI and ECU will be a plus if you don't have any tuning skills and just want to put gas and go. Read the sticky Hawk resource Guide at the top of the Dual Sport section. It will fill you in on what you need to look out for and how to prep your bike to make it more dependable. Routine maintenance will make these bikes last a long time. Mine lasted a lot longer than I initially thought it would. Have a Chinese ATV that 5 years old and only changes a battery and brake pads on it. Don't believe what the china bike haters say. Buy it and enjoy it for half the price the haters paid. As far as the rear brake hanging to low I haven't had any issue with it and done a good bit of off roading with it. I do have a skid plate the does protect it so it hasn't been an issue.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-02-2020, 09:29 AM   #6

Thanks for sharing some of your positive experience and pointing me toward the Resource Guide.

I'm not considering the EFI and EMC/ECU as "Upgrades for Dummies". The future of every internal combustion engine is EFI, the proof is in the automobile industry. The EPA has all but killed off 2 strokes and, muffled and choked our 4 strokes until you have to increase displacement to make up for the power loss attributed to the emissions equipment. EFI just might make it possible to bring back the powerful 2 stroke engines.

Speaking of haters, of which I was not, I was there when the Japanese bikes were hatefully called "rice burners" and to ride one was unpopular in any community. I believe Japanese bikes are now "King" of reliable motorcycles and, Chinese manufacturers are consistent in their "disposable planet" business model, and their bikes are no exception.

I've chosen to consider the Hawk DLX for its progressive response to the oppressive EPA standards that have stifled development of bikes by other manufacturers. As I have stated already, my attempts to find answers regarding the build quality have been glossed over with sales hype "EVERYTHING is BETTER" and the specifics are largely ignored. I realize the DLX is very new to the market and few will have much experience to share at this point.

I'll be posting questions, I hope they prompt more than a "Just BUY IT" response.

Thanks again for the welcome message, hope to be talking with all of you about the fun and excitement this sport is for me. I may even chime in on some of the technical questions, I am an accomplished mechanic, fabricator and, electronics technician.

Old 01-02-2020, 09:39 AM   #7

Have you looked at the Lifan Xpect? Higher quality and backed up by 2 year warrany and support here in the US. https://www.shopapmc.com/New-America...ded_p_116.html
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-02-2020, 09:48 AM   #8

As an accomplished mechanic, fabricator, and electronics tech you wont have any trouble fixing any of the Chinese bikes. Generally the CG engines are bullet proof but many other parts of the bikes take a little TLC.

Old 01-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #9

if you are looking for something to abuse in the dirt, this is not the right course. these bikes will not hold up to as much abuse as japanese bikes do. if you plan light trail riding, forest service road riding, and some paved back roads to get there and back, then it's a terrific option. The only weak point I found was with my swingarm pivot. it wore out pretty quick for me. I did not do any repairs before selling mine. I expect it could be remedied though.

these bikes are for tinkerers. they are not push-button-and-go types of bikes.

Old 01-02-2020, 12:02 PM   #10

Can you expand on what you mean by higher quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Have you looked at the Lifan Xpect? Higher quality and backed up by 2 year warrany and support here in the US. https://www.shopapmc.com/New-America...ded_p_116.html

Thanks for the link, yes I've seen these also. All the Chinese imports, for the last 13 years it seems, use the same CG engine, that's great. The engine is probably the least of my worries. The overall design of the bike for utility, comfort and, safety is my focus when inquiring about owner experience.

The Lifan Xpect is on sale right now, maybe a new model just around the corner?
Because I plan to use this as a commuter, I'm forced to buy a minimum 250cc to avoid some regional highway restrictions. So I looked at their flagship 250. While the rear brake parts still hang down below the frame, at least the front brake line doesn't loop in front of the fork like the new CSC. Bump a rock, cut a front line! Hop a log, bend the rear linkage! Really? If I can't stop it, I'd be crazy to start it.

STAY CALM STAY FOCUSED STAY ALIVE.

Old 01-02-2020, 12:16 PM   #11

A plumbers pipes leak. A mechanics car never runs right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
As an accomplished mechanic, fabricator, and electronics tech you wont have any trouble fixing any of the Chinese bikes. Generally the CG engines are bullet proof but many other parts of the bikes take a little TLC.

I do use the logic that my abilities to diagnose and repair can justify buying the least expensive and thereby least reliable, however, when it comes to my toys I get pretty picky.
I don't doubt my ability to care for the machine, I enjoy working on them. I do prefer to initiate that TLC on my terms and not on the side of the highway!

Old 01-02-2020, 01:09 PM   #12

The DLX 250 isn't a true 250cc, and depending on the speeds you're hoping to maintain, it might be better to look at another brand, perhaps GPX? They're Chinese made, but they seem to use top shelf stuff, and they have an air cooled dirt bike that is a true 250, and also a liquid cooled 250 that's fuel injected, if a bit pricier, which has the same motor as the RX3. They're twice the bike of anything Japanese offered at the same price point: https://gpxmoto.com/

Old 01-02-2020, 01:17 PM   #13

Doh! Enduro. You mean me or the bike? I'm mostly over that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
if you are looking for something to abuse in the dirt, this is not the right course. these bikes will not hold up to as much abuse as japanese bikes do. if you plan light trail riding, forest service road riding, and some paved back roads to get there and back, then it's a terrific option. The only weak point I found was with my swingarm pivot. it wore out pretty quick for me. I did not do any repairs before selling mine. I expect it could be remedied though.

these bikes are for tinkerers. they are not push-button-and-go types of bikes.

Hey, thanks for the tips. A tinkerer I am, will always be, can't change that ... My days of hard rides and wearing down mountains while thrashing machines are behind me. I've owned and/or ridden most all the brands/sizes and have partaken in most all genres of riding.

Today I seek a practical machine for a practical purpose and wish it to be the best I can buy for the price I'm willing to pay. I am convinced that this course is initially the least expensive, however, maintenance costs a lot and, a lot of maintenance costs a lot more. Though I am concerned about durability, reliability, broken spokes, bent wheels, soft metals and, lack of rim locks, my primary concerns are functionality, ease of use and, joy of ownership.

The swingarm pivot repair, did you price that? This failure is included in my list of deal breakers when buying used. It can be very costly as a percentage of the bikes' value.
I've been buying Chinese products for years, none of us were really given a choice, so we all know a great many of the shortcomings that come from using cheaper materials and labor. When I see the same Make/Model/Year of a bike I bought brand new selling today for %400 of what I paid decades ago, It's a stark reminder that quality no longer comes first. If I buy, when I buy, I doubt I'll be surprised about any aspect of the purchase.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:33 PM   #14

I'm in pretty much the same boat as the thread op here.. Started out with a layaway on a 125cc Pit Bike.. Then I started looking into DS bikes. My work commute is 25 miles one way and my car just gulps too much petrol. I like the idea of being able to flick off the rural backroads and hit a few trails every now and then. A small displacement DS is a way better choice for my particular needs. I've owned a couple chinese scooters with pretty good luck. Super easy to work on and damn reliable for what they are. Part of the fun for me is turning the wrench, so a Chinese DS is a smart buy. Stock up on loctite!
Now I'm down to which one to get.. These boards are a wealth of information. JerryHawk250 has a great channel and I've been checking out Motocheez as well.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
The DLX 250 isn't a true 250cc, and depending on the speeds you're hoping to maintain, it might be better to look at another brand, perhaps GPX? They're Chinese made, but they seem to use top shelf stuff, and they have an air cooled dirt bike that is a true 250, and also a liquid cooled 250 that's fuel injected, if a bit pricier, which has the same motor as the RX3. They're twice the bike of anything Japanese offered at the same price point: https://gpxmoto.com/

TRUE, 230ccs do not make a real model 250. I've tried to find out from owners if their registration says 230 or 250. Around here there are highways restricting bikes under 250cc and your license endorsement is restricted as well.
Thanks for the link.
I had looked into these a while back but did not consider them only because they are not sold as street legal. I'll have to revisit the information with the idea that a street kit can be used. Most of the vintage bikes I've been considering will also need a street kit so it's a great suggestion. The first thing I noticed is the unobstructed lines under the frame. Bet I can hop a log without bending or breaking something.
Lots of things made in China are not made for Chinese companies. Honda bikes are made in China. It's when the Chinese are left to their own to engineer, design, select materials and levels of quality assurance that we get inferior products. And you thought just Americans were greedy.

Tags
dlx, hawk 250, mods, review