Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2024, 10:49 PM   #1

Bashan Raven 250 POWERS ON WONT TURN OVER HELP!

Hello, i recently just bought a used 2020 raven 250 and it will power on but will not kick over. I brought to a shop he said most likely was the coil and rectifier. I replaced both tonight as well as fresh gas, oil change and new spark plug, the bike is still not turning over. It was sitting for about a year without being started before i just got it. does anyone have any other ideas what this problem might be?

Old 03-08-2024, 12:13 AM   #2

You used the terms “kick over “ and “turning over” so do you mean that the starter is not working ,or do you mean the bikes starter is working but it will not actually start or run ?

Old 03-08-2024, 08:35 AM   #3

Very simple engines can be tested in stages. This is my approach.

1. Spark - Remove the spark plug from the engine. Reattach to the plug wire. Holding the plug by the wire, hold the threads of the plug against the cylinder head and bump the starter. Watch the spark plug to see if you have spark.
  • If you do you can move on, if not then the issue lies in your ignition system.

2. Fuel - With the petcock off, remove the fuel line from the inlet of the carb. Place a cup under the end of the line, turn on the petcock and verify that the fuel is flowing.
  • If no fuel comes out then you have a problem between the fuel tank and carb inlet.
If you do have fuel, reattach the fuel line to the carb, turn on the petcock, and open the carb bowl drain screw. If you have fuel draining then the issue is not in your fuel delivery to the carb.
  • If no fuel drains then the issue is inside the carb (likely the float needle is stuck to the needle seat.

Old 03-08-2024, 10:04 AM   #4

Rob, Not sure what won't kick over means. I assume that you mean that the starter turns over the engine, but it is not firing up.

I agree that fuel may not be flowing or you may not be getting a spark (as mentioned above). but...

Could be low compression if the valves aren't closing. Previous owner may have never checked them. It would turn over easily with the starter. So check valve clearance. A simple rocker arm wiggle test at TDC on compression stroke will confirm this (should be a slight gap detectable). If they are tight at TDC, they absolutely need adjustment. Excessive wiggle, too loose and opening late.

Last edited by Thumper; 03-08-2024 at 10:42 AM.

Tags
bashan 250, chinesedirtbike, hawk 250, raven