Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2014, 01:56 PM   #1

Engine starts with kick but the starter

Guys this is driving me crazy. I replaced Bertha's old engine with a brand new 125cc. At the time of the first start up there was no battery so I used the kick start to crank up. The engine works beautiful and rode about 1 mile just to test. Yesterday I bought a new battery (a little bigger) and installed it.

The engine cranks nice but not start. After several tries, I decided to use the kick start and Viola!, the motor starts up. Since this is my daughter's bike, I want the starter system in working order because she can't use the kick.

After various measurements I found that there's no voltage coming to the input of the coil at the moment of crank up with the starter. If I use the kick then I got voltage at the input of the coil.

I think that if the CDI is not working, it will not start even with the kick. Anyways I replaced the CDI with same results (start up with kick but not start using the starter).

Any help will be appreciate.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:38 AM   #2

That sounds like the very symptom I had with our first China quad. The kill switch at the left handgrip was based on a street bike turn signal switch. In the original design, you would slide the switch either right or left to activate the signal, it would self-center and then you would press the switch in to deactivate.

In the kill switch configuration, you slide the switch left or right to kill the motor, it will self-center and then you must press it in once to be able to start the engine again. Goofy, but effective. Does that sound like your kill switch?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #3

cdi

I would think with a 12 volt electric start you need a DC cdi... for kick starting it you have a AC cdi... I did not notice if you said you had a 12 volt electric start before and if you used the same 12 volt cdi ??? the kill switch WELD mentions I think would kill the kick start as well... try killing the motor with the kill switch as he mentions.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:27 AM   #4

Starter motors taking all the power leaveing nothing for the ignition..
was quite common prob on the older cars when the balist coil
got old... 'not ignition coil"
77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com