Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2015, 02:25 PM   #31

You're welcome. We eagerly await further updates on your Tourfella luggage system.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-07-2015, 04:53 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithmaine View Post
I will post photos of the Tourfella install as well as stock luggage removal.
As soon as it actually happens no really I will try to get to it this week
I am quite interested to see if you have the same fitment problem I did. Looking forward to your follow-up.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."

Old 12-07-2015, 05:28 PM   #33

My Tourfellas were factory installed, but I have a hint to pass on.
The curved bar across the back looked a bit wonky on my bike. With some thought, I realized that because the right rack is out further than the left, to clear the muffler, the curve in the bar is off center. But the bar was installed reversed on my bike, which made it look strange. I flipped it around and it looks better now.
Dan

Old 12-07-2015, 05:33 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk47 View Post
My Tourfellas were factory installed, but I have a hint to pass on.
The curved bar across the back looked a bit wonky on my bike. With some thought, I realized that because the right rack is out further than the left, to clear the muffler, the curve in the bar is off center. But the bar was installed reversed on my bike, which made it look strange. I flipped it around and it looks better now.
Dan
Thanks I will watch out for this

Old 12-08-2015, 08:51 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk47 View Post
My Tourfellas were factory installed. . . Dan
RedHawk,

Did your pannier setup exhibit any of the mis-alignment issues that I posted at the beginning of this thread?

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."

Old 12-09-2015, 01:24 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKearney View Post
RedHawk,

Did your pannier setup exhibit any of the mis-alignment issues that I posted at the beginning of this thread?

Cheers,

Dan K.
My left rack has a 3/16" spacer and the bag clears the turn light. It has a small lean in but I figure the first tip-over will fix that. I haven't notice the front/back alignment - I'll check it tomorrow.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:33 AM   #37

I found these Tourfella accessories

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...717938885.html

Old 12-09-2015, 10:56 AM   #38

Those accessories make the Tourfella system even more versatile. I like the idea of being able to strap a sleeping bag to the top of the trunk, and attaching manual canisters full of fuel or tools to the back of the panniers.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #39

Quote:
I found these Tourfella accessories

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...717938885.html
Thanks for sharing the good information, Keith.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Last edited by SpudRider; 12-09-2015 at 12:26 PM.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:28 PM   #40

I cannot see why these could not be used with almost any pannier system.

The way I am going makes me really glad the setup started out with a $3500 bike and not $20,000 BMW.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:14 AM   #41

Mounting the Tourfella system was not bad until I started installing the left side brackets, more on this later. The attachment of the top/rear rack is simple remove stock boxes which is a very nice sturdy setup. I mostly left the stock system together just removing bolts necessary to take the rack off the bike. The Tourfella system mounts in the same fashion as the stock system the new top rack mounts in place of the stock top plate, one bolt and spacer on top and where the grab rails were. The side racks mount under seat in same location and to the top rack. There is a support bar that goes under the tail light and around to each side bracket (please see photos). Two struts one on each side ( note the left strut support is marked "L" ) that come off the back of the passenger pegs and attach to tabs on the frames, the setup is pretty sturdy.

Top plate mount

Top plate spacer

The two vertical struts in the photo join together under the seat, you will note that the right is longer by about an inch. If you look at the top of the frame you will see another attachment point circled in red this attaches where the grab handles bolts attached this I believe where the major flaw lies the attachment for the left side should be like the right side with a bend to move the rail away from the directional lights.

Rear bracket ties the side plates together note the longer right side, these attach to the tabs on the vertical tabs far left and far right side of frames on the previous photo.

The 2x4 in the photo was needed for persuasion with mounting the side bracket to the top rack this is the location others have had the same issue. The welded tab needs to be redesigned to move the frame away from the left directional light. I used a cap screw with two nuts for adjustability but will make a spacer the proper size and replace the cap screw.

If you look in this photo it better shows how much of a spacer is needed so the box does not hit the directional light. Also you can see the bung on the back of the passenger peg as I have yet to install the strut that comes from the rear of the peg to the side frame tab. At the position I have it in currently my left box has about 1/4" clearance.

The boxes mount very snug and take some persuasion to attach to the frames, secured by 2 big knobs which are very easy to use. (Note there is a little acorn nut on the end of the tightening bolt that locks the knobs from coming loose) these knobs are inside the boxes. The top box drops into 4 keyholes and then slid back to lock in place, held by one knob inside the box that spins down to secure the box from moving out of the keyholes. When the boxes are locked the boxes cannot be removed. The locks work well and the lids clamp down water tight. All and all a nice system well worth the price paid. The one exception as stated above is a correction of the top mounting tab design.

Please if anyone has question feel free to fire away.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:34 AM   #42

Thanks for the excellent pics and write-up, Keith. A few minutes with a MIG welder, and I could correct that left side mount for you.

You indicated that you removed the original setup as a whole; do you have pics of that?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-14-2015, 10:38 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Thanks for the excellent pics and write-up, Keith. A few minutes with a MIG welder, and I could correct that left side mount for you.

You indicated that you removed the original setup as a whole; do you have pics of that?

I thought of moving the tab as well, but then I would have had to repaint the brackets and I wanted to ride instead.

I will take some for you and post them here this evening I should have taken more pics of stock stuff coming off.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:43 AM   #44

Thanks for posting the update with the excellent photos, Keith.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 12-14-2015, 10:46 AM   #45

Quote:
I thought of moving the tab as well, but then I would have had to repaint the brackets and I wanted to ride instead.

I will take some for you and post them here this evening I should have taken more pics of stock stuff coming off.
I'm with you; riding is more fun than painting.

No rush on the pics.