Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2016, 12:38 AM   #1

Sjcam sj4000

This is is a pretty good sub 80 dollar GoPro clone action camera. The picture quality is comparable but certainly not identical but for the difference in price it's tough to beat. Ive used mine for nearly a year now and still enjoy it. The biggest drawback to the camera is it does not come from the factory with external mic capability however with a cheap and easy mod, which I've done to mine, it is "upgradeable" to an external mic. It is built to make use of a good many GoPro cases and mounts but there are literally tons of very inexpensive knock off accessories readily available on EBay and Taobao or even AliExpress. There are several YouTube comparison videos that are worth watching.

Again this is a clone of a GoPro but you must be cautious when ordering because in typical clone fashion there are now clones of the clones and they do not have a good reputation. Stick with a genuine SJCAM brand and I hope you'll be as pleased as I am ..... As a matter of a fact today I ordered a new SJCAM WiFi capable model and am confident it will serve my needs just as well!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-SJC...AAAOSwstxVG9VX
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (7.3 KB, 213 views)

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 05-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl096 View Post
.............. you must be cautious when ordering because in typical clone fashion there are now clones of the clones and they do not have a good reputation. Stick with a genuine SJCAM brand and I hope you'll be as pleased as I am ...........
The CLONE WARS HAVE BEGUN!!!!!!!!!!!
Lands I have waited YEARS for the perfect opportunity to say that!!!
But in all seriousness, you are absolutely correct!!!!!
I had made the mistake of ordering a "SJ4000" that was NOT
made by SJCAM. It was USELESS!!!! No microphone input jack.
--- making it useless to moto vlog ---
STICK WITH SJCAM ONLY!!!!!
one of my closest you tube only buddies has used her SJCAM SJ4000 for quite some time. Her vids are as good of quality as anyone's out there.
OH, and she rides a 150cc Chinese scoot to boot.
Check her vids out sometime. You Tube search for RosieMoto.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:18 PM   #3

SJCAM is considered one of the best clones of the GoPro. In fact it is so popular there are even clones/fakes of the SJCAM. A fake of a fake. LOL Make sure you purchase from a reliable seller and you get a true SJCAM.

/

Old 05-07-2016, 11:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
SJCAM is considered one of the best clones of the GoPro. In fact it is so popular there are even clones/fakes of the SJCAM. A fake of a fake. LOL Make sure you purchase from a reliable seller and you get a true SJCAM.

/

Can't agree more! Great little camera.

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 05-12-2016, 08:50 PM   #5

Update

Received my SJ4000 WiFi today and this thing is fantastic. Downloaded the SJCam android app for my phone and tablet from the Google store and the camera linked up without a hitch. It running the March 2016 firmware and is more user friendly. Picture clarity is crisp and clear. SJCam still does not have external mic functionality from the factory but that's a pretty easy mod that I've already done before. I've got a 64gb Samsung micro card on board from Walmart and it works well. I just can't recommend these genuine SJCams high enough. Big bang for your buck! If you're thinking about motovlogging and such you really need to do your homework on these cameras b4 plunking down a few hundred on a "name brand".

― Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-12-2016, 10:47 PM   #6

The SJCam 4000 is good, and you can modify it for an external microphone input. But I have to admit that I like SJCam's M10 better due to size. But both are excellent.

Yes, beware of clones of clones. I got duped into buying a clone of the SJcam from Evilbay. Haven't tried it and have been trying to return it, but seller is pleading for me to split costs to try it, so I might.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:23 AM   #7

I got a 25$ clone (no wifi) and have been pretty happy with it. I'm seriously contemplating a 360* cam for my next one.

have any details on the external mic mod you did?

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 05-13-2016, 05:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
I got a 25$ clone (no wifi) and have been pretty happy with it. I'm seriously contemplating a 360* cam for my next one.

have any details on the external mic mod you did?
The clone tested out pretty well. Just wish they would have advertised it as a "Clone of SJcam4000 without WiFi", and there would have been no issues. Otherwise the software works better than SJCam's, and the picture looks every bit as good. I paid $40, but at $25, it's a no-brainer... cheap and effective camera.

Here's the YouTube video on how to do the external microphone mod. At $25 (or even $40) for the camera, I'd be less shy about trying. But note that you'll want soft/flexible wires as the points to solder are small, and thicker gauge wires will break off the copper wiring on the circuit board. (ask me how I know...)

[youtube]u96c321Ga68[/youtube]

Old 05-13-2016, 10:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtking View Post
The clone tested out pretty well. Just wish they would have advertised it as a "Clone of SJcam4000 without WiFi", and there would have been no issues. Otherwise the software works better than SJCam's, and the picture looks every bit as good. I paid $40, but at $25, it's a no-brainer... cheap and effective camera.

Here's the YouTube video on how to do the external microphone mod. At $25 (or even $40) for the camera, I'd be less shy about trying. But note that you'll want soft/flexible wires as the points to solder are small, and thicker gauge wires will break off the copper wiring on the circuit board. (ask me how I know...)

[youtube]u96c321Ga68[/youtube]
I've done that mod twice now and have decided that I'll use these 2 I've got until they're dead. That mod can be a pain in the butt. If SJCam ever comes out with a factory camera with built in WiFi and external mic capability they will eat go-pros lunch because right now that external mic issues is the only downside to the SJ line. The mod requires patience and not fearing screwing up. You're right about the wiring...damned small circuitry and soldering. Get the thinnest electronics soldier you can and use the smallest tip on your iron...I mean small! !

― Thomas Jefferson