Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2017, 11:59 AM   #1

In the Market for a Dual Sport!

Greetings from the Sunshine State!

Hi,
I live in the Tampa Bay area, so any Florida riders out there, drop me a line. I started riding back in 1989. Time flies when you are in the saddle! I started off on a 1987 Ninja 250. Followed by a Ninja 600, Katana 750, Buell X1 and a 2003 Sportster. Now I`m in the market for a dual sport to use as a commuter, with a little dirt on the side! I have been looking at the Hawk 250 and the Bashan 250. The main difference that I see is the up side down forks. Other than that, are the bikes the same? After reading and watching, the Hawk has a lot of aftermarket parts. What about the Bashan? One of my fears is getting stuck with a bike with no parts to up grade or repair. Is one model better than the other?

Thanks and have a great day,
Dan-O

Old 02-16-2017, 12:27 PM   #2

Both bikes are very good, with the Hawk having a huge nationwide cult following, thanks a lot to here and Motocheez videos as well as other people's videos. It is a given, it seems, that you will more or less HAVE to make a couple upgrades; 1) the carb--some have gotten into the stock one to play with it, while it seems most others have bought a Mikuni clone from ebay due to the east for jetting (the clones take the stock Mikuni jets). 2) Sprockets--change both front and rear to your liking 3) (Optional) digital dash sold by member 'mjstef' 4) more optional--tires

Then you have the Bashan which, depending on which model (there are few) you choose, need far less, but cost hundreds more. The Storm 250 is their dependable, traditional bike with 21/18 wheels, while their Brozz/Shark (the Shark is slightly different) have 19/17 wheels. Initial reports on the Brozz from a few members who have bought one are that it is a great bike, as long as you are not 'offended' by 19/17 wheels. as most members here seem to desire 21/18 wheels with their dual-sports. More recently, a Hawk-like Bashan has been released (the Enforcer) which is what you might be writing about--no one here has purchased one to give us a review. At least the engine is the same as the others, for the most part, since they fall under the same EPA/DOT certification. I am sure it is fine, but buyer beware as a few members who did not buy Storms and instead bought 'lesser' Bashans had minor/major issues with parts (not the engines). But, those were from last year or longer (don't think their models are still available unless they are leftovers) and, again, were NOT the Hawk-like Enforcer.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-16-2017, 12:28 PM   #3

Both bikes are very good, with the Hawk having a huge nationwide cult following, thanks a lot to here and Motocheez videos as well as other people's videos. It is a given, it seems, that you will more or less HAVE to make a couple upgrades; 1) the carb--some have gotten into the stock one to play with it, while it seems most others have bought a Mikuni clone from ebay due to the ease for jetting (the clones take the stock Mikuni jets). 2) Sprockets--change both front and rear to your liking 3) (Optional) digital dash sold by member 'mjstef' 4) more optional--tires

Then you have the Bashan which, depending on which model (there are few) you choose, need far less, but cost hundreds more. The Storm 250 is their dependable, traditional bike with 21/18 wheels, while their Brozz/Shark (the Shark is slightly different) have 19/17 wheels. Initial reports on the Brozz from a few members who have bought one are that it is a great bike, as long as you are not 'offended' by 19/17 wheels. as most members here seem to desire 21/18 wheels with their dual-sports. More recently, a Hawk-like Bashan has been released (the Enforcer) which is what you might be writing about--no one here has purchased one to give us a review. At least the engine is the same as the others, for the most part, since they fall under the same EPA/DOT certification. I am sure it is fine, but buyer beware as a few members who did not buy Storms and instead bought 'lesser' Bashans had minor/major issues with parts (not the engines). But, those were from last year or longer (don't think their models are still available unless they are leftovers) and, again, were NOT the Hawk-like Enforcer.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-16-2017, 12:29 PM   #4

The Bashan can be reged most everywhere. It is hit and miss with getting the Hawk reged. Parts will be easier to get with the Hawk and there will lots of support for it but the Bashan seems to be a better bike.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:30 PM   #5

1989 was the same year I started riding too! Although I only started off riding a Yamaha PeeWee 50... it was the only thing being sold in our area that a scrawny 3 year old would fit on

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:39 PM   #6

Welcome! I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. The Hawk as was said has a HUGE following, so support is better. The Brozz is a SWEET MACHINE, but I'm Biased. Which I'm about to give it to my son for a Graduation present to take to college. SO I'm gonna have to buy another one. And who knows I may end up with a Blue Hawk. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of them honestly. Just KNOW, folks have had trouble registering a Hawk in certain states. But if memory serves, I think FL is good to go.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:01 PM   #7

Thanks for the quick replies!

I forgot to mention two things: I'm a sucker for a great cult following and I can't help myself when it comes to upgrading/modding a vehicle!
I have this 1996 Ford Ranger, it's easier to tell you what I haven't done to it. I have to fight the urge to upgrade! I couldn't even leave my beach cruiser bicycle alone! Now it has a radio, cup holder, a front basket (to hold the small ice chest with more beverages), mirrors, and a safety flag that says, "It's 5 o'clock somewhere "! That's starting to sound like an illness! I've also learned that it is better to have an ok bike with a great following than a great bike with no following!
That being said, I'm going to go with the Hawk 250. Here's a couple of questions I've come up with. Are there any differences between the years? I've noticed that some have black engines while some have gray engines. Who would you recommend to purchase a Hawk 250 from? I live on Florida, so that will limit my color choices. Black is just too hot. Red likes to fade to pink. I think my brother is going with green, that leaves me with Blue or white. White being my first choice.
Thanks again,
Dan-O

Old 02-16-2017, 07:48 PM   #8

Hey Kirbo!

I never seen a white hawk. I think you will either have to copy your bro or get a blue one. Don't forget the seat and the tank are black on all the hawks.

PS my Dad just bought a place in Bradenton. He runs from the white stuff up here in CT.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #9

i think all the hawks are black with diff colored plastics. probably $50 to change all the plastic out for a diff color. if you are both going to order one you can get a better price on two from the dealers but you got to ask. go ahead and order jets at the same time you will need them.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 02-16-2017, 09:17 PM   #10

The white and orange Hawk you see on YouTube were painted.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:30 PM   #11

Welcome!
I'm over in Polk county, just on the other side of Lakeland. Unfortunately, I usually only have time to ride to work. I got my Hawk back in December and it's an OK bike out of the box, but with the standard mods it is a lot of fun! Carb, intake and exhaust made it run like a completely different bike. The new sprockets make it much more street-able.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:20 PM   #12

Thumbs Up Just ordered my Hawk!

Hi all,
I just wanted to thank everyone for their replies. I just ordered my Hawk from TX Powersports. I decided to go with the blue color. I also ordered the digital dash! I'll be on the website and YouTube looking for my next mod.
See you out on the trails,
Dan-O

Old 02-21-2017, 08:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbo7106 View Post
Hi all,
I just wanted to thank everyone for their replies. I just ordered my Hawk from TX Powersports. I decided to go with the blue color. I also ordered the digital dash! I'll be on the website and YouTube looking for my next mod.
See you out on the trails,
Dan-O

Be sure to post birthday photos!
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 02-23-2017, 05:26 PM   #14

Thumbs Up I got THE call!

UPS called me today. My Hawk will be delivered tomorrow afternoon! That's the good news! I work from 2:30 until 11:00, so I will miss the arrival. No cool photo shoot like Motcheez. 🙁 To make things worse, I'm on call all weekend! Much sadness! I know, my on-call pay is how I can afford to buy toys and play. 😁 I will post some pictures of the unveiling and some of the birthday ride.