Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2009, 12:04 AM   #1

Do we need to use higher octane fuel?

I have been using 93 octane fuel, because it is recommended. Is it necessary? How much ethanol is OK? Do some of you use 87 octane fuel.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:51 AM   #2

Different Octane Rating Systems

I use 85 octane fuel in my Zongshen 200GY-2, and it runs like a champ. My owner's manual from Zongshen recommends the use of 90 octane fuel, or higher. However, foreign octane ratings are calculated differently than U.S. octane ratings; check out the following link.

http://hondaswap.com/reference-mater...ratings-59435/

According to the information posted above, 90 octane in China would be equivalent to 85.5 octane in the United States. Another factor to consider is elevation above sea level. I live and ride at elevations 4,400 feet above sea level and higher. At higher elevations the air is thinner, and lower octane gasoline can be safely used without causing engine pre-ignition. In Idaho and Utah regular grade gasoline is 85 octane.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-31-2009, 05:40 AM   #3

Spud is correct... in other words We use, The R+ M over 2 method. This used to be on all fuel pumps at one time.

How much ethanol is OK?

All gasoline in The USA has at least 10% ethanol in it. This is basically an EPA standard. The Unleaded fuel started back in 1972, They started putting ethanol in our gasoline in 1980. I'm not positive, but I think some areas use more than 10%. The Standard Oil Co. started using alcohol in the 70's to prevent fuel line freeze-up.
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 01-31-2009, 09:32 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply guys, this is a great service.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:04 AM   #5

I have been running 87 octane with no problems.

Allen

Old 01-31-2009, 02:26 PM   #6

Check your motor's specs.

If the compression ratio is over 9:1 you can't use 87 oct safely. My Viva knocks like crazy on 87 and a little on mid-pre cause it's 10.1/1 compression.

Plus you take a definite performance loss.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:05 PM   #7

we are talkin about 200cc's of CHINEESE FURY! i don't know what kinda performance you will get out of slightly higher octane

Old 01-31-2009, 06:06 PM   #8

i agree even though i am a user of av gas. i wouldnt think any pump gas would hurt your bike. you could check and see the mpg and decide which gives the best, i have seen gas stations here advertise no ethanol or alcohol but the i wonder about the octane rates being true
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 01-31-2009, 10:15 PM   #9

Just to throw it out there as food for thought, According to the specs, my Honda 900C Should run just tickety-boo on 87 octane Regular.

BUT!!!

I can reliably get 175km from a tank of Regular and 220km froma tank of Premium. It shouldn't care, but it does.

With that difference, I actually **Save** about 3 cents per litre using premium instead of Regular.

I would say try to check if there's anymileage difference between the two on your bike. If it doesn;t ping and knock all over the place, and the mileage is the same, Just run the cheap stuff.

But that's just me...
--Vince

Old 02-01-2009, 04:50 AM   #10

I've tried them all!

And what seems to make the most difference is WHERE ya get it from.

I'm not sure why, but Chevron seems the best for me.

Followed by Sunoco.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:05 AM   #11

My GY-3 would take forever to warm-up on regular, and Phil told me he had good luck with av gas, and I tried it, and the difference was unbelievable.

At 20 degrees, the little Trailrider would start immediately with no choke and would run with more power than normal.

However, I did find that the av gas had corrosives of some nature that eat into the plastic fuel filter, and left the blue coloring dripping all over the side of the engine, as well as deterioriating the flimsy stock gas lines.

I replaced the gas lines with good U.S. thick-walled black rubberized line and bought a good metal NAPA in-line filter and have had no trouble since.

I did stop using the av gas, but I could probably go back to it now, but I found some Texaco stations that sell the regular with no ethanol, and it works almost as good, but does require a little warm-up time, but not bad.

The non-ethanol regular is two cents higher, but some say you get a lot better mileage from it.

I might try premium in the GY-3 and see how it does -- does anyone know if premium has ethanol in it ? ?

It doesn't get driven enough to be a problem .

Luke, 11: 21

Old 02-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinariderinthesky
we are talkin about 200cc's of CHINEESE FURY! i don't know what kinda performance you will get out of slightly higher octane
Hey, when you're tryin to keep up with traffic on the freeway at 65, you need all you can get!

Old 02-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #13

Ethanol is Super High Octane

Think that e85 is like 111 octane. 8)

Formula One went completely e85 a few years back.

Ethyl Alcohol is about 130 oct and far superior to gas- Leaves no deposits, no emissions and completely water soluble. You can cut it with 20% water or more and it'll run ok- jetted properly of course.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:44 PM   #14

I have to use 93 octane.The bike would ping on the cheap stuff.Roketa 05 200 RSM-Enduro ,2200miles on it now.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:02 PM   #15

I find all of these comments interesting, I will try some other octanes and try to observe the results. I wish we did not have the entire ethanol thing going on here in the US. I don't believe it has any thing to offer us at this time.