Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 04:05 PM   #1

Seating a tire??

I've been fighting with my rear tire, the darn thing just refuses to seat properly on the rim. I've completely broken the bead , applied both dish liquid and Windex as a lube, and run the pressure up to 100psi. I just can't get it to seat, at best I can get it to within 1/4" of being round, but that's still like riding a pogo stick at certain speeds. Anyone have a suggestion before I give up and get a new rear tire? Oh yeah, the rim is very true, that was the first thing I checked, you can follow the bead where the rim and tire meet and see the where the tire isn't seating.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #2

Try bouncing the tire and wheel with it slightly over inflated in the area the bead is not seated.

Allen

Old 07-07-2007, 06:55 PM   #3

If you have a remote regulator on your compressor, you could try a little more air pressure. I wouldn't be standing next to it when you do though.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 07-07-2007, 07:08 PM   #4

Mark the area{s} where it doesnt want to seat. Deflate and check those areas for any irregularities. Might be a rough surface there, grabbing the tire.

When you inflate the tire, use a C-clamp to pinch an area of the tire that seats easily, seats first. By stopping that area from seating first, you force the other areas to.

Sometimes just removing and reinstalling the tire on the rim stretches the bead enough to seat more easily.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:09 PM   #5

I bounced the tire around like a basketball, it helped a little.

Remote regulator, hmmm... do they make them for bicycle pumps? Because that's what I was using!

Old 07-07-2007, 07:11 PM   #6

I looked in the rim and i think the rim is cheap and has some ridges where the edge of the metal are inside and thats where it catches... just my guess...

Old 07-07-2007, 07:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1
Mark the area{s} where it doesnt want to seat. Deflate and check those areas for any irregularities. Might be a rough surface there, grabbing the tire.

When you inflate the tire, use a C-clamp to pinch an area of the tire that seats easily, seats first. By stopping that area from seating first, you force the other areas to.

Sometimes just removing and reinstalling the tire on the rim stretches the bead enough to seat more easily.
Nah, the rim looks good inside, I have stopped short of completely taking the tire off the rim, that was gong to be my next effort but I'll try the c-clamp thing instead. This tire is just stubborn, I've never had this much trouble before.

I guess using the clamp I only need to close it up enough to prevent the tire from seating at that point and once the problem spot seats I remove the clamp and proceed as normal. Right?

Old 07-07-2007, 09:19 PM   #8

Yup, and be slow adding the air. Soon as the bad area seats, pull the clamp.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #9

Another "trick" I use (along with soapy water) is to overinflate the tire and use a dead blow hammer (the ones with sand in them) and hit the sidewall in the area thats giving you trouble. I have to reseat a lot of tires on new bikes in my shop.

This method seems to work pretty well.

Give it a try, let me know what you think.

Previously owned / operated MOTO Xtreme selling American Lifan / Check out my friends at www.armattanquads.com

"Imagination is more important that knowledge" Albert Einstein

Old 07-08-2007, 12:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOXtreme
Another "trick" I use (along with soapy water) is to overinflate the tire and use a dead blow hammer (the ones with sand in them) and hit the sidewall in the area thats giving you trouble. I have to reseat a lot of tires on new bikes in my shop.

This method seems to work pretty well.

Give it a try, let me know what you think.
That time honored method was the first thing I did(to the tire and my vital parts!). The tire started off being out of round really bad, about 3/4", It's less than 1/4" now, which still isn't good. I'll go at it agian tommorrow with a c clamp, failing that I'll just tottally dismount the tire, inspect everything and rotate the tire in relation to the rim when I remount it. It's not unusual for me to mount my own tires, I have never had this much trouble with one before. I was thinking about warming the tire up with a rosebud if nothing else works. I know that method works with really low profile car tires.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:15 AM   #11

I've got a simular, issue with my front tire. Not as pronounced but the tire was perfect when stock. Changed out the front tube and I got a slight tire buldge. I can feel it at slow speeds but not at 40 kph and up. Showed it to the mechanic I used when I first got my bike. He shrugged it off. I've been riding it ok, but it is a rain day today and tomorrow. Hmmm. 8)

Old 07-08-2007, 11:21 AM   #12

I gave up fighting with tires along time ago... My trick? Just bring it to your local motorcycle shop.. They replaced a tube and remounted my tire for $8.00 out the door.

NET

Old 07-08-2007, 11:22 AM   #13

first off some one said to use wd40 please dont do that it eats the rubber and makes them crack a lot sooner.

if you start out just with a little air in the tire and then use the hammer/mallett you should have better luck. if there is to much air in it some times it makes it stick to hard to the rim.

Most of the time you can move it over by hand if you dont have to much air in it 5-10PSI

Also if it is not seating down in the rim you can take all the air out and wrap electrical tape around the area that is not seating and it will hold it down in the rim while you inflate the tire.

Good luck!
Jeremy

Old 07-08-2007, 02:12 PM   #14

oh thanks for the info jeremy, someone told me to use it (from some bike shop), and I just assumed it would be a good idea if they said to do it... I haven't done it myself, so thanks for the info, now I wont.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:07 PM   #15

I give up, I'll just take it to a shop. I overinflated the thing, clamped it, beat it, pried on it and finally got it to seat evenly all the way around. As soon as I reduced the pressure back to normal, it snapped back right to the way it was, out of round. There is a ridge on the inside of the rim, but it's even all the way around, it has to be the tire.