Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2017, 10:50 AM   #1

Stayin alive! 1978 Olds Omega SX

Figured since Weld did bring up the era the car was from...the so called disco era i might as well have a disco song title as part of the thread title

Anyways..on to the details of this project. I picked up this car in January and have not had much chance to get more then a few minutes to look it over since then since it was extremely cold the day it was delivered. But what i know so far is this. The Omega SX was the Oldsmobile equivalent to the same year Chevy Nova Rally. The Rally itself a replacement for the Super Sport in '76. So in a way i am saying it is basically an Oldsmobile version of the SS in its own way.

What i know about it so far in terms of specs:

305 LG3 V8 170 HP @4400 255 Ft lbs@2400
Not sure if it has a TH200 or TH350 transmission yet as both are listed for that model year and engine setup.

Already have a lead on an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and possibly a few qjet carbs to do the 4 barrel upgrade. Which would bump the engine up to LG4 spec. The same friend has a cam that will work in it as well. Currently on the hunt for some heads from an LE9 or L69 305. The LE9 is the High Output 305 found in trucks and vans. My red '86 Sierra has an LE9 and my blue '84 Chevy Custom Deluxe used to have one. The L69 was found in the Monte Carlo SS, Camaro Z28 and Trans Am. The only difference between the LE9 and L69 is the cam. They both use the same carb, heads and have same compression. As the LE9 is the more common one due to being used in all trucks and vans from 81-87 i will more then likely end up with LE9 heads. I have already kicked around the thought of taking advantage of the LG3s lower compression ratio and adding boost in the form of a Turbo or Supercharger. Scary part being the fact that it would be cheaper to add the boost via ebay kits then it would be to rebuild the LG3 to LE9 or L69 spec with higher compression. It remains to be seen what way i go there as i also have a lead on a 4 bolt main 350 block that i could easily build into a 383 for the car later.

Enough rambling..here are the pics!

'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)