Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #1

newb from chicago IL

hi all, gonna be getting into a shineray 200cc enduro next week, not in the greatest shape.....LOL this is what the bike looks like right now, but has all the plastics... going to be coming to me in non running form, and i know it has a butchered wiring harness...

i guess my first question is what you guys think of the shineray quality compared to some of the other brands of china bikes, and what other brand parts are compatible....

i do know the engine appears tobe a lifan 200cc pushrod motor, so theres hope that it is a lifan based bike, but its hard to tell what model it is, and what parts will work on it without seeing the plastics and such... i will end up needing bare minimum a new wiring harness and all the lights, and figure out why it wasnt running when the PO took it apart... my first guess is bad cdi...

Old 05-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #2

oh and i am not new to chinese bikes.... i had a worked over cammed x18 pocket bike for a while....lets just say one of the county's finest and myself had a bit of a talk about my using the bike on the backroads for fun...and it ended with him threatening to impound the bike...so i traded it away for a kawasaki ke100...

heres the x18 with the cammed engine, race carb, and aftermarket exhaust....

Old 05-24-2013, 01:05 AM   #3

Wow! That's a great looking pocket bike!

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-24-2013, 01:06 AM   #4

Welcome; we are glad you joined us!

The Shineray bikes have a good reputation. Most of the Honda clones (Hondoids) use the same parts. You won't have difficulty getting the parts you need from eBay, Hooper Imports, and other parts vendors.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-24-2013, 01:21 AM   #5
Administrator

Welcome!

Old 05-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #6

Thanks!!! Heres what the pocket bike sounded like with the cam and exhaust....

Old 05-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #7

Welcome!

I'm very familiar with your Shineray, since it's nearly identical to my Roketa. If you strip the frame and remove the forks and swingarm, the frame is nearly identical to an early 80's twin-shock XR200. In fact, even the shock mounts are there, and the rear rack is mounted to them.

It doesn't really matter who made the pushrod motor, since I haven't seen any real variation in them. They're my personal favourite, due mostly to the simplicity.

What size was you pocket bike motor? It sounds wicked.

Do you need any KE100 parts? I have some good parts from an '88.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #8

The pocket bike was just a run of the mill 110cc (107cc to be exact) that i hand ported the head and the intake to a 26mm bore, put the biggest cam i could get from dratv.com, as well as the 26mm mikuni copy, and the exhaust i got off ebay, its designed for a monkey bike....i think thats what makes it sound so sick... Its pretty well straight thru, and as you can see its a megaphone style leadpipe coming into the muffler, which is a good 2"bore all the way thru, with the fiberglass packing around mesh like a good old glasspack for your car....

As for the cam if i recall correctly, it added a good bit more duration, and another mm and a half or so lift on both intake and exhaust...the mods took it from about a 40 mph bike stock to a 57mph bike....then i tried messing with the gearing and it went downhill...LOL i went way too small on the rear for
my fat arse or 265# at the time and it slowed down considerably...couldnt pull the gear...

As for ke parts, i am set on them for now, but will keep ya in mind if i do need anything, mines a last year of production bike.....2001....and its a blast pissing folks off with it since its a 2 stroke, and i gutted the baffle, as well as rejetted it, woke up the top end a good bit....and made it sound better...LOL

Old 05-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #9

Oh and if anyone wants to see the first thing that will let go on the 110s with the cam and carb and race cdi, its the stamped clutch basket.... Let go in 4th at around 50mph....LOL

Old 05-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #10

Carnage! Is there a beefier unit? I'm planning a small cafe project with the same motor (minus the extensive mods).

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #11

there is, but you have to watch where you get it from, as some of them dont send all the parts needed for the swap, just the parts that would be needed if you already had that type of clutch..i found the cheapest one form the UK on ebay, cant find that listing anymore....i would think if you arent routinely wringing it out to 11k rpm you should be fine... but, youa re looking for one like this, but watch out because theres 17 and 18 tooth hubs, and i dont think that you can reuse the old stuff with this clutch if its not the right tooth count...

this link shows all the stuff you need, but you need to know if your engine is set up for a 17 or 18 tooth set, as this one is 18

ebay link

Old 05-25-2013, 12:29 AM   #12

Thanks for the link.

Since my engine is still in the box, I'll just run it until it comes apart. The old CT bikes ran with stock clutches for many miles.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #13

Hey, and welcome.

I know nothing about Shinrays and I don't even own a Chinabike anymore, but I am in the NW burbs. These guys here can give you a lot of help.

cheers

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 05-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #14

Thanks cheesy, do you know any of the guys from ADVrider? Nice bunch of guys, a bit opinionated against china bikes though...LOL

Old 05-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #15

bogieboy, you mentioned in another thread that you installed a hydo clutch on your pocket bike. Would you consider starting a new thread about your pocket bike, and tell us about the hydro clutch? I'd like to learn about them.