Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2011, 05:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasi_BG
So no letters means the engine was manufactured by SkyTeam themselves, or that it's 100% clone, made by an unknown factory?

Which Honda engine are we talking about actually? XL? CRF?
The engine code 166FMM indicates the engine is a standard, Chinese clone of a Honda engine. The manufacturer is unknown. I don't know if SkyTeam even manufactures engines. You engine could be manufactured by Zongshen, Loncin, or another Chinese manufacturer. :? I don't know which Honda engine is the prototype for your 166FMM engine; but I bet someone else does.

The ZS preface of the engine code for my engine is unusual. However, the ZS167FML code is necessary, since my Yamaha cloned engine is significantly different from the standard, 167FML engine, which is a Honda cloned engine.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #17

Quote:
So no letters means the engine was manufactured by SkyTeam themselves, or that it's 100% clone, made by an unknown factory?

Just as Colin says in the Youtube video, the engine is based on a Honda CBF230, which is a product that was never released in North America, AFAIK. The CRF230 looks to be the same platform as well, with a two-valve OHC and electric start. BTW, your engine is likely to be 230cc also, despite it being referred to as a 250. You might see the actual displacement stamped on the engine.

The top end of your engine is very familiar to me, because it is just like a two-valve OHC XR200R.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-30-2011, 12:29 PM   #18

I knew Weldangrind would have the answer. I remember Colin stating the bike had a CBF230 engine, but I am unfamiliar with that engine, since it never arrived in North America.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-01-2011, 04:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:

Just as Colin says in the Youtube video, the engine is based on a Honda CBF230, which is a product that was never released in North America, AFAIK. The CRF230 looks to be the same platform as well, with a two-valve OHC and electric start. BTW, your engine is likely to be 230cc also, despite it being referred to as a 250. You might see the actual displacement stamped on the engine.

The top end of your engine is very familiar to me, because it is just like a two-valve OHC XR200R.
Thanks, Weldangrind. Seems like this CBF230 is not a popular model really.

I know the engine is not 250cc, but 223. SkyTeam state that on their website and in the user's manual, plus I already read about this 250 naming delusion here in the forum

http://www.skyteam.cn/spe.asp?id=243

I just saw that SkyTeam have a company in Canada:

http://www.skyteamcanada.com/index.html

Old 12-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #20

Too bad they aren't likely to import your model into Canada. It's a big deal to get approval from Transport Canada, and it's very costly. The rules are almost non-existant for dirt bikes and atv's.

I'm not sure, but I think Saga in Langley, BC is now carrying SkyTeam.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #21

Apparently a mixture of offdays, bad weather and Internet access is not the best one can experience.

Hoovering around the virtual reality, I came across a forum thread called "Pooratech" ( ) in a South-African forum (tell me about it!) - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/inde...&topic=12116.0
So, from there I was inspired to build myself a toolbox for the new toy. I may not be riding, but can do lots of dumb things.

I got myself a PVC pipe from the local hardware store:

2 caps (apparently this is how they are called) and a drawer lock:

One afternoon of cutting, drilling, swearing, scratching my head, and voila:

The masterpiece is 450mm long and 125mm in diameter (that's about 18x4.5 inches for our imperial viewers), which turned out quite big:

If it turns out that these sticking bolts get in the way, I'll swap them with rivets.

The "cool" lock:

The official version for the insulation band is that it's there to improve water tightness, but the cruel truth is that I put it to cover the dodgy cut I made:

Well this is for now. I made it that far.

Now I'm contemplating on the next creation - cheap and simple pannier racks... I hope I won't mess up the nice bike until spring time (my wife hopes!).

Old 12-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #22

Very nicely done! Is it waterproof? Can you fit some sort of a gasket under the lid?

You get extra credit for the lock. Good engineering. :P

Old 12-17-2011, 04:16 PM   #23

Well done! You could put several tools, your lunch and a litre of beer in there. I like the lock.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:29 AM   #24

You did a very good job, Krasi. The lock is an especially nice touch.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 12-19-2011, 03:04 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Very nicely done! Is it waterproof? Can you fit some sort of a gasket under the lid?

You get extra credit for the lock. Good engineering. :P
Thanks., FastDoc and Spud. I guess it's pretty waterproof as the cap is very snug to put and take off. And the side wall is like 30mm tall. If not, I can always slip on a shower cap over the cap 8)

Actually I had to grind the cap a little from the inside to facilitate putting on and taking it off. Originally it took some hammer tapping to do so.

Hey, Weldangrind, we're one the same page. This is what I've been envisioning while tinkering with it.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #26

fellow v raptor owner

greetings all!
What an excellent thread I can see here, mind if I mosy on in and be apart of it? Im from Australia, down here they call it the V-retro ( I think raptor is cooler) I got mine for a great price and ride it all the time, i'm very happy with the product. I have been finding it hard to find information on the bike online so I am relieved to find a thread of seemingly experienced fellows talking about it.

So its my birthday soon (30th Dec) and as a present to myself I was going to make it go FASTER. Of course you can all understand this desire

I made contact with a guy in Western Australia who fitted one of these on his : http://www.crossfiremotorcycles.com/...ike-motor.html

seems simple enough, he said the hardest part was the electronics.

Ideally I would like to spend the extra money for the engine of this bike : http://www.crossfiremotorcycles.com/...-valve-sp.html
Its possible to buy just the engine but im not sure if the power/weight would be too much for the bike.

The first engine I know can be done and is a bit cheaper.

Im not so sure about the second engine, the mounts seem to be the same, from inspection it seems as though it would fit.

This is where i need the advice from you seasoned engineers.

Again, a fantastic thread! any insight on what I intend would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Old 12-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #27

Welcome; we are glad you joined us, Sleeper. I'd be inclined to install the Zongshen engine. Zongshen makes good engines, and someone has already installed this engine in your bike. Therefore, your job should be considerably less difficult if you choose the Zongshen engine.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 12-27-2011, 06:46 AM   #28

Hey, daysleeper. It's seems quite a challenge you plan to do. What are your plans for the radiator(s)?

Old 12-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #29

Well, I'm still off work and outside it still is like that

so I continue with my nonsense creations.

I made my self a DYI chain oiler. I've been making such basically for all my bikes using gardening taps and urinary tubes - local pharmacists are always looking strange at me Now, I decided to go the route, suggested by this fella:

The "tank" is actually brake fluid container from Lada (the most popular Russian car brand, for our distant readers):

The personal touch I threw in, comes in the form of a fuel cut-off valve, which is very widely used around here as part of car LPG conversion kits:

The "holder" role of the tube to the swingarm is performed by a shoe-polishing sponge box:

The container is on the right-hand side of the frame, while the valve and tap are bolted on the front of the air box:

Valve power supply I took from the positive pole of the rear brake switch, because it was most easily accessible, so now when I turn the ignition on, it opens up.

On a side stand, in the cold garage it works:

When the weather outside becomes more rideable I'll check it in real life conditions.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #30

That's ingenious, Krasi! Please let us know how well it works!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220