Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2018, 09:50 PM   #136

6406 miles on my 2016 RX3 as of 5/14/18.
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250
2009 Suzuki Gladius

Old 05-22-2018, 09:42 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroenjunkie View Post
Has anyone else found factory assembled components with not enough lubrication?
Yes.

When I installed the Progressive 465 rear shock over the winter I also removed, cleaned and re-greased the rear linkage. The bearings were sparingly lubricated, with just enough grease to keep them from rusting provided that they were not submerged in water. This was at 9200 miles, on mostly paved road riding with a little gravel thrown in the mix. No off road whatsoever.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:39 PM   #138

Spud, is that a 21” front wheel on your RX3 ? If so, was it just plug and play or did it require modifications ?

Old 05-22-2018, 04:29 PM   #139

Wow, fun thread! Good to see several bikes with lots of miles and few major issues.

8800 miles on my 2015 (I think, off the first container way back when), caught up in wind turbulence from speeding semi truck at 770 miles and totaled with lots of minor dings. Nothing serious because I landed on my hard head at 65 mph on concrete (5 days in coma) and the bike landed on me. Worst damage was smashed windshield, mirrors, and plastic corners off top box (bike apparently landed downside up), one side box lid ripped off, but lots of little dings, scratches, and dents everywhere. My son fired the bike up at the wreckers and rode it up into the truck for the ride home. Tough bike.

Anywho, didn't ride anything for about a year (healing, about 30 bones crushed and/or broken plus dain bramage), then ordered parts and at least made the RX3 streetable and it's all I've ridden since.

Jerky brakes so work done since wreck: new battery after first year (did not put on charger after wreck), new rear tire, new brakes and 19-inch front, tossed the windshield and modified flat face shield to fit, installed hand guards and a few other accessories, went to rectangular mirrors with spots, modified headlights, added lots of tail/brake/turn lights.

Acted like water in fuel near end of last ride, no time to clean tank before returning to work a few weeks ago, not been home since. Hope it still runs.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:38 PM   #140

Stalling solved!

I reached 2000mi! I re-did the valve adjustment 500mi early because I was getting a little sick of the constant stalling when cruising to a stop or accelerating under load. I also washed and re-oiled the air filter with the K&N kit.

Bike runs MARVELOUSLY now.

By the way, if you've got feeler gauges that have one top number and one bottom number...with MM next to the bottom number, IT DOES NOT MEAN THE TOP NUMBER IS IN INCHES. It means you have yourself a Go-No Go gauge.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:18 AM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwert View Post
Wow, fun thread! Good to see several bikes with lots of miles and few major issues.

8800 miles on my 2015 (I think, off the first container way back when), caught up in wind turbulence from speeding semi truck at 770 miles and totaled with lots of minor dings. Nothing serious because I landed on my hard head at 65 mph on concrete (5 days in coma) and the bike landed on me. Worst damage was smashed windshield, mirrors, and plastic corners off top box (bike apparently landed downside up), one side box lid ripped off, but lots of little dings, scratches, and dents everywhere. My son fired the bike up at the wreckers and rode it up into the truck for the ride home. Tough bike.

Anywho, didn't ride anything for about a year (healing, about 30 bones crushed and/or broken plus dain bramage), then ordered parts and at least made the RX3 streetable and it's all I've ridden since.

Jerky brakes so work done since wreck: new battery after first year (did not put on charger after wreck), new rear tire, new brakes and 19-inch front, tossed the windshield and modified flat face shield to fit, installed hand guards and a few other accessories, went to rectangular mirrors with spots, modified headlights, added lots of tail/brake/turn lights.

Acted like water in fuel near end of last ride, no time to clean tank before returning to work a few weeks ago, not been home since. Hope it still runs.
Wow, glad you stuck around to tell us that story. I would've enclosed myself in an Hummer and caged it around after that ordeal. I'll keep an eye out for those semis. Was it incoming on a 2 lane or were you passing it?

Old 07-07-2018, 09:59 AM   #142

With all those miles you must be going thru oil and some filters! (Contact me about filters and free stuff)

Old 07-08-2018, 03:05 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
With all those miles you must be going thru oil and some filters! (Contact me about filters and free stuff)
I like the mesh filter you sent with the 300 kit. Reusable is good. How much to send me another so I can swap out at oil changes and hang out the freshly cleaned filter to dry? Shipping from Utah will be good.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:56 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwert View Post
I like the mesh filter you sent with the 300 kit. Reusable is good. How much to send me another so I can swap out at oil changes and hang out the freshly cleaned filter to dry? Shipping from Utah will be good.

"Hang out to dry"?

Why would you dry an oil filter??

Old 10-11-2018, 08:24 PM   #145

The reusable mesh oil filter is all metal. You clean them with things like kerosine, water, WD-40, etc. Then can speed drying with an air compressor but generally hang out to fully dry before reusing. So having two of them is a good idea.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:25 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogirob View Post
Wow, glad you stuck around to tell us that story. I would've enclosed myself in an Hummer and caged it around after that ordeal. I'll keep an eye out for those semis. Was it incoming on a 2 lane or were you passing it?
4 lane divided highway, speed limit 70 mph. Moderate traffic. Approached overpass/cloverleaf intersection, traffic slowed to 65mph to allow some off, some on. Everyone driving safely on the way to work. Overpasses have artificial hills to raise one road to go over another with a bridge. Piles of dirt are cheaper than concrete to hold up bridges. Wind same direction as road is forced up hill, speeds up. Wind same direction as road forced over road to blow off snow in winter by a big V of levels of steel guard rails used to guide wind over bridge. Therefore, 10mph headwind on open road becomes 40mph headwind on bridge. Semi truck in left lane at well over 100mph passed me just as I hit the high velocity wind. Trucks are not very aerodynamic, with a percepted headwind of 150+mph the turbulence is extreme. Bike just took off from flat and level ground, rose high enough the driver 2 cars back could see sky above the roof of the car ahead and the parts of my tires that should have been on the ground, then rolled right. After about 45* of roll there came a tank slapper from nowhere as bike began aerodynamic lift. My body behind windshield began falling as bike was going up, hands knocked from grips by tank slapper, 3-4 slaps back and forth, and right side mirror shaft right across front of the helmet put me out cold, split my head under the helmet, 7 sutures but the scar doesn't show now that the eyebrow has grown back. Don't remember anything after seeing the attacking mirror shaft, such as flying W from bike pushing my lower half up by aerodynamic forces, falling, landing on my head on concrete, bike landing on top of me upside down, because of coma. Got all that 3rd hand.

So, RX3 aerodynamics are apparently not appropriate for high speeds. The bike flies fairly easily, but is pretty much not controllable, at least by my old dirt bike tricks. Also, the tank slapper began once the bike was 8-10 feet in the air, so evidence suggests RX3 tank slappers can be caused by the bike's body shape.

So, there are all the details as I understand them.

I expect aerodynamics is likely a cause or contributes to the speed wobbles so many report. Keep the steering snug at the frame to minimize the wobbles. Or, slow down and enjoy the views.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:28 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloman View Post
Spud, is that a 21” front wheel on your RX3 ? If so, was it just plug and play or did it require modifications ?
It should be easy enough when you get a 21 inch rim and spokes to assemble to the factory hub, I sell a 19 inch wheel and could talk to my wheel guy to see if he has a 21 inch rim to make a complete wheel etc.
Bear in mind it isn't cheap shipping buy he does have 7075 Ali rims etc and all parts are available no doubt to make a wheel, (I live in China)

It should be possible without much drama etc.

Here's the 19 inch wheel that i will offer and it has the optional 320mm brake rotor on this for you to see, wheel can do now brake I have more testing to do.

Attachment 14461

Last edited by NzBrakelathes; 07-18-2019 at 09:49 PM.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:01 AM   #148

That pic is almost enough to cause a motogasm. Looking forward to your brake upgrade.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:31 AM   #149

12000 miles, rolled either end of last time off 6 weeks ago or first of this time off. Added about 300 miles past couple days. Too cold to stay out long since tore up my winter gear in the wreck, nothing but summer gear on hand. Need to budget for new winter gear right away, but NZbrakelathes keeps coming up with more cool goodies so limited riding time is all his fault.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:00 AM   #150

Spud how many miles on your Rx3 now ?