Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2018, 11:49 AM   #1

Good power pack/jump starter

When camping, either tenting or even in my motorhome, I like to use one of those power/jump packs to charge everything. Also I keep one in the Jeep just in case, and will be carrying one on the RX3. I had one that was failing, so it was time to shop for a new one. The one I had was from Anker, and while I love their USB products, this was my second one that failed in a rather short time. So I won't buy their power packs any more.

Man, are the specs on many of these just ridiculous lies... I ended up buying one that claimed really high capacity, and when it arrived, I could see by the size that it was nowhere near that. Normal Chinese "spec" lies? No, this was a new level. I put a power datalogger on it, and measured it out at 1/12th (one twelfth) the rated capacity. Sheesh. Also it wouldn't reliably output 2.1 amps to fast charge a tablet, sometimes it would just stop. Back it went. Tried another, and similar thing. Also the jump portion of it felt like it was made from tin foil and christmas light wires. Awful, tiny.

So I picked up this after careful research: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like it a lot. The power tester says it is at least close to specs (you'll never get full power out of a Lipo, as doing so would damage it). The connections are quality. It is waterproof and rugged. It has USB-C to charge directly to our laptops, micro-USB, and two USB-A ports. So totally universal. It also can be charged from the USB-C and micro ports, so you can use normal laptop and device chargers to charge it. I'll grab a second one to keep on the RX3 at all times too.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:09 PM   #2

I agree that these are great to have on rides, especially overnight rides away from civilization. The one I have is a few years old and a little bulky. I'd like to find a good one that will fit under the rear seat so it can charge when I ride during the day and then use it in camp at the end of the day. Also, without a kickstart I feel much better with the extra battery capacity.

This one looks great, I may take some measurements later today and see if it will fit under the rear seat.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:08 PM   #3

I've had a few different ones and I think the NOCO gb70 is the best but it is a bigger jumppak. This allstart boostmax 560 is an older model but paired with an Astro Pneumatic 7790 inflator, bailed me out of a flat on gsxr earlier. I didn't think it'd have enough oomph but it aired up the tire easily!

Old 11-15-2018, 07:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez View Post

So I picked up this after careful research: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like it a lot. The power tester says it is at least close to specs (you'll never get full power out of a Lipo, as doing so would damage it). The connections are quality. It is waterproof and rugged. It has USB-C to charge directly to our laptops, micro-USB, and two USB-A ports. So totally universal. It also can be charged from the USB-C and micro ports, so you can use normal laptop and device chargers to charge it. I'll grab a second one to keep on the RX3 at all times too.
I have a couple of the Suaoki brand power banks, the latest one is here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...L1NQPR7O&psc=1

It appears to be almost identical to what you have, with slightly lower (more accurate/honest?) listed power specifications. Still more than sufficient for the RX3 or any other motorcycle. Definitely handy to have. Safer for giving jump starts too, since I don't have to worry about damaging my vehicle's electrical system if the dead vehicle has a problem. I've had one battery blow up on me during a jump, about 20 years ago; not looking for a repeat of that ever.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:53 PM   #5

I have the 2000 amp noco one now ,I had a crappy no name one but one day I plugged it in and it puffed up ,blew the cover off ,and let out the magic smoke .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 750CA7B3-1609-4C72-968F-04E6FBA0AAA2.jpg (18.2 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg C96EC693-5F2A-432F-BE10-44C3348DA40B.jpg (14.0 KB, 203 views)

Old 11-16-2018, 07:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
I have the 2000 amp noco one now ,I had a crappy no name one but one day I plugged it in and it puffed up ,blew the cover off ,and let out the magic smoke .
It's a common known fact that all electronics run on smoke. Once the smoke comes out, it will stop working.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-16-2018, 09:36 AM   #7

I don’t really know what happened ,it was only a few months old ,I plugged it in to charge ,and it blew the cover off ,with the battery swelling to probably around double it’s size .
The 2000 amp Noco has been a real good unit ,I have had it two winters going on it’s third with no issues or magic smoke .I would think the 1000 amp model would be more than most people would need ,especially if you don’t live in the cold like me .

Old 11-16-2018, 12:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Working_ZS View Post
I have a couple of the Suaoki brand power banks, the latest one is here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...L1NQPR7O&psc=1

It appears to be almost identical to what you have, with slightly lower (more accurate/honest?) listed power specifications. Still more than sufficient for the RX3 or any other motorcycle. Definitely handy to have. Safer for giving jump starts too, since I don't have to worry about damaging my vehicle's electrical system if the dead vehicle has a problem. I've had one battery blow up on me during a jump, about 20 years ago; not looking for a repeat of that ever.
That does look the same, but something is definitely different, or someone/both are lying about specs. Mine lists more power, but only one QC 3-amp port. When tested, I found that to be true; only one port can do high power and the other one does 2.1 amps. The one you linked to claims two QC 3-amp ports, but lists less power. Interesting. I'm going to do a little more testing.

Also, I'll try fitment under the seat a little later, can't right now.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:35 PM   #9

Quote:
I'd like to find a good one that will fit under the rear seat so it can charge when I ride during the day and then use it in camp at the end of the day.
Also, I like that idea a lot. One comment though; don't leave it there ALL the time charging. Lipo batteries will be damaged if they are constantly being recharged when already full. Also, that's a pretty hot area with engine heat. So it's a good way to charge while on a trip, but don't always keep it charging there.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:07 PM   #10

Bruces = winning with that gb70. I've used mine 'as' the battery on a volkswagon, 929rr, gs500, other bikes and of course jumped cars, charged phones and stuff. It's a great jumppak.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #11

Useful tip: Most of these packs use a standard RC hobby battery connector for the 12v output. So I made a simple adapter to get 12v out of it, because the jump starter leads will NOT do that. I already had the connectors and clips laying around.

And yes, it fits fine under the seat. Just hold it against the seat itself, and set it all down to align it. You could probably figure out how to align it and then mark the location on the bike.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:01 AM   #12

Sweet! Happy to hear it fits. I ran 10AWG leads from the battery to under the rear seat with SAE plugs. You can get a short 10AWG EC5 to SAE cable to connect the jump pack to the 10AWG SAE battery leads for starting. This way I can trickle and jump with only popping off the rear seat. Since this unit will fit under the seat, my plan is to run a separate 12v accessory line to rear seat compartment and use a 3amp usb to charge. The seller states the unit takes about 4.5 hours to fully charge on a 3A usb c. So should be no problem to charge during a days ride.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:26 AM   #13

You should never plug the jump start connector to the bike directly though. Not sure if you were saying you would do that, but sounded like it? It needs to go through the jump start leads which protect both the vehicle and the jump pack. They're not just leads; they have a control circuit in the connector. And yeah, it took around 5 hours to fully charge from my MacBook's charger.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez View Post
You should never plug the jump start connector to the bike directly though. Not sure if you were saying you would do that, but sounded like it? It needs to go through the jump start leads which protect both the vehicle and the jump pack. They're not just leads; they have a control circuit in the connector. And yeah, it took around 5 hours to fully charge from my MacBook's charger.
Ah, I forgot about the protective circuit on that pack. So I should put SAE connectors in place of the clips on the jump cable supplied with the unit.