Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2015, 10:01 PM   #16

thank for the input

Old 09-26-2015, 10:45 PM   #17

I agree with you; I think it is a warranty issue. The drive chain should not be digging into the frame.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-27-2015, 01:54 AM   #18

Rear sprocket looks huge...

Old 09-27-2015, 02:26 AM   #19

And as someone mentioned earlier the roller does not seem to be welded on correctly. Its tipped down and not welded flush so to speak.

/

Old 09-27-2015, 03:23 AM   #20

thanks everyone.

warranty is what i'm thinking.

excalibur wanted me to re-weld the roller in a different higher location, but, in order to get that area prepped correctly for a safe weld looks like the motor and everything else needs to be removed. not a small/cheap job for any shop.

they then sent me the "bigger chain roller", but obviously the angles from the front to the rear sprocket are incorrect thus eating through the bigger chain roller within 2 miles.

i suspect the same would happen to the stock chain roller if re-welded to a higher position.

hopefully excalibur will stand up to their "warranty" and send me a working safe ride-able bike. (i did pay for working motorcycle)

a motorcycle that does not have the chain trying to eat through the frame.

i've seen some pics of some other tmec200 and looks like the chain is well off the frame even without any load on the bike.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:25 AM   #21

i'm sure if anyone else had this problem they would want another safe working bike sent to them and not have to try to "modify" the defective unsafe motorcycle so it can possibly be ridden.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:19 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmec808 View Post
i'm sure if anyone else had this problem they would want another safe working bike sent to them and not have to try to "modify" the defective unsafe motorcycle so it can possibly be ridden.
I agree completely. I suggest you contact the seller as quickly as possible.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-27-2015, 10:43 AM   #23

Like Thaiguzzi said, the rear sprocket looks huge. Unless the internal gearing is different than other CG clone engines it'll be screaming at 60 mph. Installing a smaller rear sprocket could solve or at least mitigate the problem as well as give you a more usable gear ratio.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:07 PM   #24

Indeed, you probably will end up switching to a smaller rear sprocket, so you might as well try it now. It might solve the problem.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Last edited by SpudRider; 09-27-2015 at 10:07 PM.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:18 PM   #25

Interested in seeing how this turns out. I have no problem in assembling a China bike, and making adjustments, checking valve clearances before I ever even fire off the engine, routing cables, adjusting clutch, etc. But, cutting and rewelding components that are screwed up from the factory.....well, I don't have a welder. And, where I live, there are no shops that will work on Chinese built motorcycles. Hopefully, Wade will bite the bullet and send this buyer a new TMEC.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:42 AM   #26

Quote:
Not disputing your experience, just making an observation; that chain is guitar-string tight. It wouldn't matter if the chain had proper slack, because it wouldn't help the rubbing issue. X3 on the roller being welded on in the wrong spot.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-28-2015, 01:41 AM   #27

thank again everyone for the reply.

i know chain looks tight in the picture but i assure you has easily 1 inch freeply with rider and weight on the bike.

i will take videos soon so you can see chain movement, slack, frame contact.

i was in contact with excalibur motorsports and they are the ones sending me the bigger chain rollers and asking me to just re-weld the lower roller instead of sending me a replacement unit.

he said that the warranty doesn't apply or cover that....

he seems to think if i run a bigger roller and a $10 rear chain guide i will be OK.

i explained that i didn't feel safe with a $10 chain guide keeping everything together at 50mph.

i wouldn't mind having to re locate a footpeg or panels not perfectly lining up, but this is more of a safety/operating issue than cosmetic.

left front shock guard also rubs on the tire, but i can live with it being off, but again the chain thing is just too much

hopefully i can get more input and excaliubur can stand by their "warranty" and send me a working unit.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:04 AM   #28

Man, sorry this had to happen to you. I'm on the verge of buying a new Chinabike, and am still deciding which one. I've heard good stuff about the TMEC bikes in general. Your experience may influence my choice. I am going through a process of elimination...

Old 09-28-2015, 02:18 AM   #29

Quote:
thank again everyone for the reply.

i know chain looks tight in the picture but i assure you has easily 1 inch freeply with rider and weight on the bike.

i will take videos soon so you can see chain movement, slack, frame contact.

i was in contact with excalibur motorsports and they are the ones sending me the bigger chain rollers and asking me to just re-weld the lower roller instead of sending me a replacement unit.

he said that the warranty doesn't apply or cover that....

he seems to think if i run a bigger roller and a $10 rear chain guide i will be OK.

i explained that i didn't feel safe with a $10 chain guide keeping everything together at 50mph.

i wouldn't mind having to re locate a footpeg or panels not perfectly lining up, but this is more of a safety/operating issue than cosmetic.

left front shock guard also rubs on the tire, but i can live with it being off, but again the chain thing is just too much

hopefully i can get more input and excaliubur can stand by their "warranty" and send me a working unit.
I don't think you should be required to re-position the lower chain roller on a brand new motorcycle. That manufacturing defect is certainly covered by any valid warranty. I hope Excalibur Motorsports treats you properly, and sends your a replacement bike. However, based upon your reported conversations with them, I am not optimistic.

At the very least, they should pay for a local welder to do the work. I don't respect their claim that such a defect is not covered under warranty.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 09-28-2015, 06:11 PM   #30

once again thanks to everyone for the replies.

i agree and hopefully excalibur will send me a new unit. i told him i would be willing to pay for the shipping cost if he would just send me a safe working motorcycle.

he says there is no warranty form the manufacturer, but, if your business sells a product you should be able to take care of your customers if one or your inventory is defective.

they seem to be on my side as far as trying to "fix" the problem and get it re-welded to a different location or sending me a new frame. i explained that due to the location of the chain roller mount it would cost a significant amount of money for a shop to complete the job. same goes for having a shop transfer an enitre bike into a new frame.

i feel as if i purchased a defective television and when i try to get a working one they send me to the tv-repair shop to get my defective tv fixed. in that case i should have been given the defective tv price not full price.

if excalibur can send me a new unit i would say you can rest easy when purchasing with them but if not be ready to roll the dice. if this wasn't a safety issue wouldn't be that big of a deal, but i cannot feel safe for me or anyone else to ride a bike like that. who knows what else is not aligned correctly on that unit there was obviously a defect/problem during manufacturing on this unit