Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2023, 05:09 PM   #1

Replacement motor suggestions

Hey yall. So previous post, had blew my tbr7 motor up. Thinking about engine swapping to something else. Read a few post from other members, specifically the pr300. Ik the hawk and tt250 engines will swap in(appart from electric changes). Was wondering if anybody had a source for something with a 6 speed. Was looking around for the pr300 and pr250 and wasnt able to find any.

1998 Suzuki Intruder VS800 (bobbed out)
2021 Sur Ron Lightbee Supermoto (Heavily modified up to 40hp peak)

Old 12-12-2023, 08:48 AM   #2

If you check around on the Hawk 250 fb group, there are links and more information on the various engines people have swapped in, from pr250/CB250 to Ninja 250 parallel twins with nearly 40hp and 6spd transmissions with water cooling.

Old 12-12-2023, 10:58 AM   #3

Maybe you know this, but I am pretty sure you have a 167FMM engine (verify this model number behind the gear shift lever). This pushrod valved engine is really very dependable and makes ~15hp. Nice engine, easy maintenance.

A direct replacement 229cc 5 speed is your best bet. Anything else and you will have mounting headaches and lots of fabrication to deal with, and you might even have impossible frame interference issues or sprocket line up problems. You will be spending up to $600, so choose wisely!

Cleveland Cyclewerks has a counterbalanced Lifan 167FMM-M for $350 that might have the right mounting positions (ebay). Call and ask them. They know what they are talking about, and can confirm fitment. Or they will tell you that they do not know. 13T 520 front sprocket comes with it, and a gear shift and some other things.

RPS Hawk direct replacement is available from Orion powersports for $560 plus another $45 bucks shipping. Should fit as well.

Last edited by Thumper; 12-12-2023 at 02:24 PM.

Old 12-12-2023, 01:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Maybe you know this, but I am pretty sure you have a 167FMM engine (verify this model number behind the gear shift lever). This pushrod valved engine is really very dependable and makes ~15hp. Nice engine, easy maintenance.

A direct replacement 229cc 5 speed is your best bet. Anything else and you will have mounting headaches and lots of fabrication to deal with, and you might even have impossible frame interference issues or sprocket line up problems. You will be spengine up to $600, so choose wisely!

Cleveland Cyclewerks has a counterbalanced Lifan 167FMM-M for $350 that might have the right mounting positions (ebay). Call and ask them. They know what they are talking about, and can confirm fitment. Or they will tell you that they do not know. 13T 520 front sprocket comes with it, and a gear shift and some other things.

RPS Hawk direct replacement is available from Orion powersports for $560 plus another $45 bucks shipping. Should fit as well.

Good shout. Not too too worried about fabrication and making things fit/line up right. Ye the current motor I have I believe is a 167FMM. Was a great engine no doubt. Motor ive been eyeballing was the ZS175FMM. Should line up good enough. Probably gonna need to make new front motor mounts but clearance of the frame shouldnt be an issue.

Old 12-12-2023, 01:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard_Cain View Post
If you check around on the Hawk 250 fb group, there are links and more information on the various engines people have swapped in, from pr250/CB250 to Ninja 250 parallel twins with nearly 40hp and 6spd transmissions with water cooling.

Good call. Ill look into it. Preciate you

Old 12-13-2023, 09:28 AM   #6

I have just installed a ZS172fmm in my Hawk frame; aka Zongshen PR250. I also have a big bore kit installed on it that makes it equivalent to the ZS175fmm (Zongshen PR300). It is indeed a huge step up for these bikes in both power and usability for both road/highway, and off-road use. It will fit the Hawk/TBR7 frame, but you will have to do some frame modifications. See my post about it here: https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=33557

I hope this helps!