Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2023, 03:46 PM   #31

Could it be as simple as a battery problem? We all know how hard these bikes are to kick start. In other words is the stator spinning fast enough? With a fully charged battery things spin quickly and engine starts easily. Just thinking out loud…

Old 12-19-2023, 06:30 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4Fun View Post
Could it be as simple as a battery problem? We all know how hard these bikes are to kick start. In other words is the stator spinning fast enough? With a fully charged battery things spin quickly and engine starts easily. Just thinking out loud…
xxRusty (OP) sez that he gets NO voltage output turning the engine with the starter. I assume it has plenty of juice.

BUT, I suggested removing the spark plug (for free spinning) and turning the crank with a drill through the rotor bolt hole (left hand case cover, center) to see if higher speed rpm generates ANY voltage. No word on that.

The drill would need to be in reverse to get the counterclockwise rotation, but would get the rotor spinning fast around that stator.

Old 12-20-2023, 02:04 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
FYI-
OP has stated a few times that he is testing voltage output from the isolated stator by disconnecting it and connecting to the stator output wires. There are NO switches or any other components involved.

It is in more than one post. This is why it is so puzzling that there is no AC voltage coming out of the stator.

Here are two examples:
https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...5&postcount=26
https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...2&postcount=21

Yes I also read that, thanks for reiterating. The stator is not the only issue. Issue #1 is no spark/CDI. Issue #2 is a suspected bad stator. People are bringing up things like the side stand switches and batteries etc. to address issue #1.

Why? The bike should be able to fire up and run a little while with a bad stator and a good battery. I would prefer to test the stator with the bike running.

Old 12-20-2023, 06:58 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh View Post
Yes I also read that, thanks for reiterating. The stator is not the only issue. Issue #1 is no spark/CDI. Issue #2 is a suspected bad stator. People are bringing up things like the side stand switches and batteries etc. to address issue #1.

Why? The bike should be able to fire up and run a little while with a bad stator and a good battery. I would prefer to test the stator with the bike running.
OK. I got it. And yes, I had a failed stator on a 1980 GS850 and it not only started but ran until the battery was drained.

On the no spark issue, I'd replace the coil if a good 12 volts was getting to it and it wasn't generating HV. However... If the coil isn't getting trigger by the pickup at the stator or CDI unit, that is another puzzle.
It could be a bad CDI unit. Those are not expensive either.

Last edited by Thumper; 12-20-2023 at 07:30 AM.

Old 12-20-2023, 03:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
xxRusty (OP) sez that he gets NO voltage output turning the engine with the starter. I assume it has plenty of juice.

BUT, I suggested removing the spark plug (for free spinning) and turning the crank with a drill through the rotor bolt hole (left hand case cover, center) to see if higher speed rpm generates ANY voltage. No word on that.

The drill would need to be in reverse to get the counterclockwise rotation, but would get the rotor spinning fast around that stator.
Thumper, for some reason I can’t find a post saying turning the engine with the starter :hmm Post#16 says at cranking speed is the only thing I see. My thoughts are what does that mean, kickstart or starter?