Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2023, 06:06 AM   #1

Riding Boots

I finally got the last two pieces of gear I needed, pants and boots.

I have been purchasing more and more from Amazon and WAY less from WalMart and other local concerns. The one area I never felt comfortable was articles of clothing. I prefer to at least hold it up and get an idea if it will fit or even actually try it on. I'm starting to get over that.

I bought these boots:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09P179VD7...ils&th=1&psc=1

If you read through the reviews they are apparently not very sturdy and will need replaced in 6 months to a year depending on how hard you are on them. I ordered size 11 wide and, that's what I got.

I've had fallen arches forever and shoes have always been tough because I have a wide foot and most shoes are just too narrow. If I don't see that "W", I don't even try them on.

I could not believe how comfortable and well-fitting these boots are and at that price point, I don't mind investing in a new pair every year or so.

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 11-07-2023, 07:37 AM   #2

I also got mine off Amazon. I don't think I got any special deal on my boots but I really like them. They completely protect my feet, ankles and shins. They walk like ski boots so be aware of that if anyone is thinking of getting them. 100% ankle protection

Boots
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073X...b_b_asin_title

where I really feel like Amazon came through was on these. My safety gear:

Jacket
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08C2...b_b_asin_title

Pants
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07D1...b_b_asin_title

Hot weather armor - I use this instead of jacket when hot
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XP...b_b_asin_title

Gloves
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07QR...b_b_asin_title

Been looking for similar quality and price items like this for winter this year for snowboarding and it doesn’t seem to have any on Amazon. It seems like all of the stuff on there sucks when it comes to winter wear. Either it’s not waterproof or people say it just falls apart instantly. I wish they had something similar for snowboarding

Old 11-07-2023, 10:00 AM   #3

Those look like my "Tactical" (Academy Sports house brand) boots I wear to work. About the same price too. I like them well enough, I get a new pair every year. But for riding I like something heavier. Since the plastics on my actual motocross boots disintegrated from age, I went with these. $45 off eBay, lightly used (and dirty.)

Old 11-07-2023, 10:18 AM   #4

Motorcycle gear is subjective, and can get expensive. I totally get that. what you might look for next time is something motorcycle specific, only because they generally offer better ankle protection in the case of an accident. You might also consider something water proof. I know I've seen these style of boots listed as WP. That might help if you happen across a water crossing and need to put feet down.

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.

Old 11-07-2023, 10:53 AM   #5

I have a pair of "waterproof" motocross boots like these. They are not actually waterproof. They'll resist rain for, like, 10 minutes. Dunking them in a creek, e.g. at a water crossing, gets your feet wet instantly.

Instead, I just use waterproof socks in those situations. They actually work.

Anyhow, I'll argue that after your helmet, your boots are your absolute second most important piece of equipment -- especially if you are riding off road. It's very easy to deal yourself serious injury to your feet, ankles, and shins either inadvertently kicking something or if you have a spill and your bike lands on you, etc. If you ask me, the only option is decent quality motocross style boots. Not jungle boots, not work boots, not mid tops, not any Bilt shit from Cycle Gear. You want them to be stiff, armored, and reach as close to your knee as you can manage. The point is to protect your shins from impact and your ankles from twisting.

Old 11-07-2023, 11:36 AM   #6

Zero, I totally get what you’re saying. And for a lifetime of riding, ankles and lower legs are absolutely critical - there’s no standing in pegs and no shifting without sound ankles and good lower legs.
But I’m old. I’ve… done other things in my life that we not always gentle to my body, especially my torso and arms. And I have to say it - upper body armor really is a thing. You don’t need it until holy sh*t you do. On road, off road… I’m a huge advocate for upper body protection and whatever qualifies as appropriate gloves.
I can’t go back and redo my life so that, as this chapter in my life things hurt less and I’m better set for motorcycle riding. So things don’t hurt when it’s going to rain soon. So things don’t hurt less. But I know I’m gonna fall - I suck at dual sport and I ride beyond beyond my skill level with decades of earned risk assessing skills. I do wear good boots, but I protect my core and my limbs too.
Honda CB350
Honda CL450
Tyrion the Pit Bike

Old 11-07-2023, 03:40 PM   #7

My brother had his left leg crushed by a dumb bitch making a left turn late in a full sized SUV. I don't give a crap what you're wearing, that leg is still getting crushed.

He got a new Harley and rode again. He died on it, God rest his soul.

This "armor" will provide a little protection in certain situations and ZERO protection in others. Don't ride stupid. Be safe.

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 11-07-2023, 05:06 PM   #8

Well, you're correct in that there is no armor in the world that will protect you from being hit by a car or truck. But you can absolutely protect yourself to a good degree from the types of spills and tumbles we're likely to encounter off road. So letting perfect be the enemy of good is a silly idea. (People try to use the same logic to justify not wearing a helmet or a seatbelt. Those people are stupid.)

The right gear can turn a low-to-medium speed off road crash into something you get up and laugh about, pick up your bike and keep riding, versus having an expensive trip in a helicopter... or worse.

My motocross boots have absolutely saved me from injuries that would have been the end of my riding day. So have my gloves. So has my helmet. So have my pants and jacket.

Old 11-07-2023, 06:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_dgz View Post
So letting perfect be the enemy of good is a silly idea.
Who is doing that?

As stated, this "armor" is good in certain situations and does nothing in others. Whether you walk away laughing or get up at all depends on your expiration date, not what "armor" your wearing.

I can see the silliness going the other way, where the rider has a stupid sense of over-confidence because of the "armor" they're wearing and performs riding maneuvers he knows he's not capable of. Catch my drift?

Old 11-07-2023, 07:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post

I can see the silliness going the other way, where the rider has a stupid sense of over-confidence because of the "armor" they're wearing and performs riding maneuvers he knows he's not capable of. Catch my drift?
this has always been a big problem for me.

ever since I was a little kid riding 3 wheelers.

once that full face helmet goes on I feel like I’m in a car. Like I have all this protection around me. I still get that feeling now. And when I’m wearing all the gear I feel it even more.

I try hard not to act on it, but it's there in the background.

I don’t think there’s any way to get rid of that feeling. It just happens. back in the day I used to ride in flip flops, shorts and sunglasses. I rode very aggressively, right at the edge of performance, but definitely never ever a chance of falling or crashing at least I thought in my mind.

Not exaggerating. That's how I used to ride sport bikes, using the little upper bit of the flip flop for pushing up on the shifter so it didn't hurt my foot. Just sunglasses, shorts.

I'd ride crazy hard like that back in the day on a Ninja zx-7 then a CBR 900RR. WOT, laying on the tank to keep the front wheel down stuff. Bumping my knee out and dragging footpegs in town stuff

When I put my helmet on back then, I'd ride stupid crazy. Lucky I didn't die from a deer too. Back then, I didn't even think about it when blasting around fast in the middle of the night to cool off on hot summer nights.

Figure I used up all my 9 lives doing that back in the day so now I'm pretty much all the gear all the time.

But I do notice the gear makes me feel more invincible like putting on a helmet used to, which isn't a good thing. I try not to act on it, but I'm sure I do just a little. It's a feeling of comfort, of safety. Of "well, if I dump the bike it won't hurt that much.".

Not good

Pic of the gear I ride in on warmer days. That's for street to off road so hi viz:

upload pic

Old 11-07-2023, 08:36 PM   #11

Boots

I'd like to get a pair of motocross style boots for trail riding. The benefits seem too obvious. For general riding, I've been wearing above the ankle hikers or my Georgia work boots. I like the ankle coverage when I'm riding.

As for protective wear and armor. I bought an Alpha branded jacket from Amazon. It is made from an abrasion resistant cordura and has removable CE pads at the elbows, shoulders, and spine. It has a removable liner that is very warm and the jacket is supposed to be water proof, but I haven't tested that. I expect it will help mitigate road rash and protect my joints a little. It has reflective print, bright white, and safety yellow, so maybe I'll be more easily seen. All that for $60. No, it's not a seatbelt, airbag, or get out of injury free card.
* Banjo brake light switch
* LED headlight + front turn signals
* Debadged (I don't like to brag about the superior
strength!)
* Top speed, as equipped: 68 mph (so far)

Last edited by Do©Hawk; 11-09-2023 at 08:11 AM.

Old 11-08-2023, 10:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
once that full face helmet goes on I feel like I’m in a car. Like I have all this protection around me. I still get that feeling now. And when I’m wearing all the gear I feel it even more.
Exactly. The way I describe it is I turn into MOTORCYCLE MAN, SUPER HERO ON TWO WHEELS! There is this excitement of going for a ride. I try to channel it into focus, because riding requires all of your focus. I caught myself rubber-necking a little bit and almost ran myself off the road. It only takes a couple seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
Not exaggerating. That's how I used to ride sport bikes, using the little upper bit of the flip flop for pushing up on the shifter so it didn't hurt my foot. Just sunglasses, shorts.
I've seen so many guys doing that and I just smh. I did it exactly one time, gave myself an instant 3rd degree burn on the inside of my right calf from the Thunder Header pipe and NEVER did that again.

Old 11-08-2023, 11:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
I've seen so many guys doing that and I just smh. I did it exactly one time, gave myself an instant 3rd degree burn on the inside of my right calf from the Thunder Header pipe and NEVER did that again.
At the Harley dealer where I took the MSF BRC, when those folks in shorts and sandals and a T-shirt would ride up and park (often accompanied by ear-shattering radio volume), the instructors on the range would remind us, "Don't be like that guy!"

When I was immobile on the ground waiting on the ambulance in July with that whole broken hip situation, it was a somewhat cloudy, windy day and I think we were barely over 100 degrees. It wasn't until some piece of my gear was removed and I momentarily felt the asphalt against my skin, that I at least could give myself some credit for not adding skin burns to my list of problems.

So for anyone looking for general safety gear recommendations: $35 for a pair of CE II hip protectors is actually a fantastic deal compared to breaking a couple bones in some low-speed parking lot maneuver. I already knew I am not invincible no matter how much armor, but I clearly did not understand how easy it is to get impact damage--and felt absolutely stupid not just for the circumstances but for not padding up sooner considering I knew the jeans would only protect from abrasion.

So now I'm reading this thread and figuring out what else I can add or upgrade. Feel free to let me learn from your life experience, everybody!

Old 11-09-2023, 04:06 AM   #14

Who thought it was a good idea to put a stereo on a Harley and, more importantly, who approved it at Harley? That person needs to be fired. The music comes out of the tail pipes.

Old 11-09-2023, 08:21 AM   #15

Riding Pants are on my list. I'm using my Hawk for commuting the 6mi round trip to work n' back. I've ridden with the temps in the low 30's,. I've been staying warm with layers, but a waterproof, windproof pair of over pants with CE pads would make me feel a lot better.

Must be cause I'm a new Rider, but I don't get that moto-hero, invincible behind my face mask feeling when I'm safetied up. It eases my nerves a little, but as much fun as I'm having, it's scary. Healthy fear, not the panic and do something stupid kind. With or without safety gear, the vulnerability and possibility of injury or death are very, very real.
* Banjo brake light switch
* LED headlight + front turn signals
* Debadged (I don't like to brag about the superior
strength!)
* Top speed, as equipped: 68 mph (so far)