Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2024, 07:51 AM   #1636

Quote:
Originally Posted by severely View Post
Curious about this. I was always under the impression/understanding that stock street legal exhausts were no problem in National Forests as they have a catalytic converter there. How would any spark get past the cat? Or is this just another way to hassle motorcyclists? Thanks in advance for the reply.
A quote from the forest service site..."
Although mufflers and catalytic converters can help reduce the problem of spark emissions, they are not spark arresters. Catalytic converters also pose a special fire threat as they generate temperatures in excess of 2,000 °F that can ignite wildland vegetation."
Triumph Legend TT 900

Old 03-09-2024, 09:13 AM   #1637

My catalytic converter started a grass fire underneath the bike last year when I fell over on the right side. I was able to drag it off the fire and put it out, but it easily could have gotten out of hand. Decatted headpipe with a spark arrestor in the muffler is definitely safer!

Old 03-09-2024, 01:08 PM   #1638

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weresquatch View Post
A quote from the forest service site..."
Although mufflers and catalytic converters can help reduce the problem of spark emissions, they are not spark arresters. Catalytic converters also pose a special fire threat as they generate temperatures in excess of 2,000 °F that can ignite wildland vegetation."
I really appreciate the information as I might've caught unknowingly by this one. Many thanks

Old 03-09-2024, 04:57 PM   #1639

Oh I was right there with you until I started looking more into it like two weeks ago.
Triumph Legend TT 900

Old 03-09-2024, 09:02 PM   #1640

Hey,

I broke the clutch perch the other day riding.. was lazy and didn't take off my mirrors for off-road and fell over onto the left side. Snapped the perch right off. Decided to buy new levers and perches ( and folding mirrors ) the choke lever doesn't fit on the new perch, and I would like to get rid of the choke cable anyways. I ordered a pull plunger type that fits right on the carb but how tight it is under there I doubt it will fit.

Wondering what you people here have done in regards to the choke? For now I just have the choke cable zip tied to the bars out of the way. I can pull the internal cable by hand when I need it.

Old 03-10-2024, 03:34 PM   #1641

Templar X with Fisch spark arrestor (kit 30) installed. It does tame the exhaust note a bit. This bike has less than 30 miles on it but I think it is pretty dialed carb/mixture wise

Triumph Legend TT 900

Old 03-10-2024, 08:43 PM   #1642

You sure can use like that, to will proably need another carb

Old 03-11-2024, 08:41 AM   #1643

Good to hear it tames the sound a bit.
GasGas TXT 125

Old 03-11-2024, 12:08 PM   #1644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weresquatch View Post
Templar X with Fisch spark arrestor (kit 30) installed. It does tame the exhaust note a bit. This bike has less than 30 miles on it but I think it is pretty dialed carb/mixture wise

Nice!! Mine arrived today and I just installed it. Couldn't get it to seat in as far as you have yours, I think I'll likely cut the stinger off the back of the muffler soon so that I can reinstall it almost flush with the rear of the muffler can.

Old 03-11-2024, 02:35 PM   #1645

My tailpipe was a little ovalized so I introduced it to a metal rod to make it more circular then convinced the spark arrestor to mate more closely with the pipe by persuading it with a very large rubber mallet.
Triumph Legend TT 900

Old 03-11-2024, 04:01 PM   #1646

LOL. Sounds familiar. I whaled on mine with a carefully calibrated Harbor Freight deadblow hammer for a bit and then decided to just send it

Old 03-11-2024, 07:59 PM   #1647

Just ordered a fisch #30 last night for my templar x i removed the stinger to Install it but may end up installing it like weresquatch has done I'm worried about rain entering exhaust If I flush mount it

Old 03-12-2024, 04:15 AM   #1648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vekenti View Post
Wondering what you people here have done in regards to the choke?
I've been using a "hot start" lever, though the little lever piece is too long and not tall enough to avoid scraping the headlight switch, so it has to be farther from the grip than I'd like. If you put them close enough, I noticed the friction can keep the choke lever engaged and you can keep your thumb off during the engine warm-up. Maybe someone's into that.

Prior to the hot start, it's probably not a setup anyone would care to replicate. Involves a fragile, adjustable, universal clutch lever, washers in plastic and metal, some SAE socket, an extra one of those cable adjuster nuts, and some self-adhesive tape (like for tennis racket handles) to wrap it together with the clutch cable and keep my creation hidden from the world.

Describing it, well...now it seems a little silly.

Old 03-12-2024, 10:07 PM   #1649

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividpixel View Post
I've been using a "hot start" lever, though the little lever piece is too long and not tall enough to avoid scraping the headlight switch, so it has to be farther from the grip than I'd like. If you put them close enough, I noticed the friction can keep the choke lever engaged and you can keep your thumb off during the engine warm-up. Maybe someone's into that.

Prior to the hot start, it's probably not a setup anyone would care to replicate. Involves a fragile, adjustable, universal clutch lever, washers in plastic and metal, some SAE socket, an extra one of those cable adjuster nuts, and some self-adhesive tape (like for tennis racket handles) to wrap it together with the clutch cable and keep my creation hidden from the world.

Describing it, well...now it seems a little silly.
Actually, the carb mounted push/pull plunger works! There's a lot more room up in there than I expected. I had to turn my carb a bit more to make it work. I got the smallest plunger that I can find, but that does make it hard to pull since there ain't much to grip onto! I will order and try a plunger with larger head to see if it will fit, but current setup is usable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapchat-1014278145.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	884.0 KB
ID:	30971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapchat-2028522488.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1,018.3 KB
ID:	30972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240312-220341.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	30973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240312-220416.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	30974  

Old 03-13-2024, 04:34 PM   #1650

Spark Arrestor clarification question: I've been researching Spark Arrestors and was planning to buy the Fisch Moto Spark Arrestor that has been suggested by several others.

The bikes I have will be primarily driven off-road on my own property with occasional on-road use planned as well (later on anyway). I like the idea of protecting my property from any chance of fire, as my property is basically open field and some wooded pathways.

I thought i'd add the arrestor as a precaution and then also be covered should I ever get a chance to take them to a National Park. However, The Amazon link has a legal disclaimer that states "Fisch Moto products are sold for off road use only and are intended be used on vehicles used solely as such. Installation and use of this product may be in direct violation of local laws and are therefore not to be used on public roads."

Could I get in trouble or fined by having a Spark Arrestor installed and using the bike on a public road?

The legal disclaimer was found here:
https://www.amazon.com/FISCH-MOTO-Ar...082FVG2KH?th=1