Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2009, 03:11 AM   #31

?

I think so. on the compression stroke. When I crank the bike over when it goes to the exhaust up stroke its really hard to push kick starter past that point. On the "compression" stroke it shouldnt be hard to push the kick start thru that stroke, right. So I want to be TDC on the compression strike?

I am using the instructions for setting valves from a previous stroke. My bike had over head cam. Basically am i at the right TDC when the piston is at its highest point during compression stroke.?

Michael A

Old 04-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #32

Re: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by puush
Basically am i at the right TDC when the piston is at its highest point during compression stroke.?
That sounds right. Always turn the engine in the direction it would turn when running, and do so without the spark plug installed. Kick it over a few times with a finger over the spark plug hole, and you'll feel when compression is building. Compare that with your TDC marks (presumably on your flywheel), and you're there.

I'm not convinced that your carb issue is behind you. I've never used Chem-Dip, but I wouldn't trust it to remove all debris and shellac from the jets, particulary emulsion tubes. Did you mechanically clean the jets as was recommended by knothead? I've used staples that I've straightened to clean jet passages; they're typically small enough, and they bend easily rather than damaging a brass jet.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #33

oops

I think I adjusted my valves wrong. I think I adjusted valve gaps when I was on the exhaust up stroke. That would cause bike to run bad right? I will re-adjust valves with TDC on Compression stroke.

I believe I did a good job on the carb. The Chem Dip is suppose to be the strongest carb solvent I think. Its just really poisonous though. After the chem dip I sprayed it all good with compressed air thru all openings. My float bowl is good, not stuck. I am wondering if I need to adjust that Pilot screw to allow richer mixture or not.

I did get tons of mud and water in Air Box so some of the much must have got in the carb real good. When I drained oil, before I cleaned carb and air filter, it looked like there was little water in it also but I got good oil in there now.

I'll adjust valves tonight and keep you all updated. I am just trying to stay motivated. I have my Xmoto 250cc, DB27 dirt bike and 250cc Chinese buggy all down. : ) I will fix them though. I'll never give up. Thanks for all the help dudes. I'll help other poor souls.

Michael A

Old 04-02-2009, 02:48 AM   #34

Re: oops

Quote:
That would cause bike to run bad right?
It sure would. I'm looking forward to your follow-up.

Quote:
I am wondering if I need to adjust that Pilot screw to allow richer mixture or not.
Not yet. The mixture screw is only for idle and the transition from idle to main. If it won't idle smoothly, then play with it. I'd start by counting the number of turns required to turn the screw all the way in, and then back it out 1.5 turns.

Quote:
I'll adjust valves tonight and keep you all updated. I am just trying to stay motivated. I have my Xmoto 250cc, DB27 dirt bike and 250cc Chinese buggy all down. : ) I will fix them though. I'll never give up. Thanks for all the help dudes. I'll help other poor souls.
Good attitude! I believe in paying it forward.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-02-2009, 04:42 AM   #35

one more thing

I might have my wiring to my battery kind of funky. One of the first things that broke on my bike was the end of the wires to the battery snapped off and I had to redo them but the bike started fine after that. I have a ground wire on my bike frame.

I work on my bike 6 days straight after work. I'm getting worn down.

Michael A

Old 04-02-2009, 10:31 AM   #36

Re: one more thing

Quote:
I work on my bike 6 days straight after work. I'm getting worn down.
I know that feeling. I was going nuts trying to prepare six machines for our annual poker run, along with making enough renovation progress that my parents would have somewhere to sleep when they visited (they were driving about 700 miles to join us for the poker run).

After all of that, my new used Honda had a stripped spark plug hole. Bummer. Oh well, when I fix the threads I'll be able to lap the valves and change the valve stem seals. It'll be awesome when it's done.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:14 AM   #37

So it's fixed? AWESOME.....

Old 04-03-2009, 01:31 AM   #38

hahaha

no, its not fixed. I cant wait to get out of my office so I can adjust valves right so I can see if it starts. I work under bright halogens.

Michael A

Old 04-03-2009, 07:52 AM   #39

can't adjust valves

When I tried to adjust valves I couldn't loosen the stud nut to slide the .05mm fueller gauge under the valve on the back of my engine. I assume its the Intake Valve.

But I could loosen the stud nut on the valve on the front of the engine and put the .08mm fueller gauge under it no problem.

I am getting confused about where the correct TDC is on my bike when I can't get the stud nut to open on the Intake Valve side.

Why can't I get the fuller gauge to go under the intake valve stud nut , or the valve in back of engine??? Is the valve broken or something?? Is it jammed shut?? Anyways, any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

The company I purchased the bike from, PowerSportsMax.com, finally had a tech call me to help me on my bike. I notified them several week ago. I am afraid to call them because they wouldn't honor their warranty on parts because of my "excessive riding". So, I am confused why one of their mechanics is calling me. They make me feel bad. My experience with these Chinese bike dealers is very poor when it comes to tech support. I've had simuliar experience with my Chinese 250cc Dune Buggy.

Michael A

Old 04-03-2009, 08:06 AM   #40

valve adjust 3

I re-read the How to Adjust Valves Post by red2003. Makes a little more sense now how to determine the "Compression" Stroke TDC.

"You need to be on the COMPRESSION stroke to set the valves, so you need to determine which stroke you are locating top dead center for. The easiest way to do this is to remove the sparkplug and "stick your finger in the plug hole to plug it off." Rotate the engine on the kickstarter until" your finger is forced out by the compression", you are now on the compression stroke, look for the "T" and you're ready to adjust the valves."

Think I can do this.

Michael A

Old 04-03-2009, 10:55 AM   #41

Re: can't adjust valves

Quote:
When I tried to adjust valves I couldn't loosen the stud nut to slide the .05mm fueller gauge under the valve on the back of my engine. I assume its the Intake Valve.
Yes, the valve closest to the carb is the intake. If it helps you, you could unbolt the entire valve cover, rather than just removing the valve caps. The gasket should be reuseable. This would give you better access and the ability to properly tighten the adjusting nuts when you're done. My buddy recently failed to tighten his properly and they ended up in the crankcase. No damage thankfully; it could have been alot worse.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #42

ohc

its an overhead cam. but i will try to adjust valves on compression stroke again.

Michael A

Old 04-04-2009, 11:01 PM   #43

still wont start

I adjusted the valves again and my bike still wont start. When I put choke on and hold throttle open it just puts a couple times and that is as close it gets to starting. I dont know what to do at this point. This is day 9 of working on this bike. Please help. Thanks

Michael A

Old 04-05-2009, 02:43 AM   #44

Re: still wont start

Quote:
I adjusted the valves again and my bike still wont start. When I put choke on and hold throttle open it just puts a couple times and that is as close it gets to starting. I dont know what to do at this point. This is day 9 of working on this bike. Please help. Thanks

Michael A
Ok, if the valves are adjusted properly, and the spark plug is new (and getting spark), it must be the carb. I'll remind you of your March 30 post:

Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback dudes. I read some other articles after doing a "carb cleaning" search on google. Last night I took my carb off and this time there was "NO" gas in the fuel bowl when I unscrewed the fuel drain screw. Hence, I made the fuel clog worst when I cleaned it last.

I bought chem dip to dip my carb in and bought some canned air.
So I will blow the s&*t out of carb after chem dip and then clean the other bits(pilot jets, etc). Hopefully this will work.

On another note, i bought stock carb and exhuast for my DB-27. I am going back to all stock carb, air filter and exhaust and hopefully it will stay running again. Maybe I should adjust DB-27 valves too. Anyways, thanks for all the help/solutions dudes. You guys will all go to heaven for this. Or where we go.
You indicated that there was no fuel in the carb bowl, and that you were going to clean it again. You also said that you bought a stock carb for your DB-27; can you install that (I don't know what a DB-27 is)? On March 31, you posted this:

Quote:
Well, I got the bike started and it runs barely.

I cleaned the carb thoroughly with Chem Dip. But the only way the bike will start is if I hold the throttle "Wide Open" with "No Choke". It is more or less just idling at Full Throttle. If I go 3/4 throttle or less it dies. My battery is also getting drained from trying to start it.

Also, after I get it running and hold throttle wide open, it will only idle, and I can hear a metal "clunking" sound in the engine like, clunk, clunk, clunk. What is that??? I hope something in the engine isn't really screwed up.

I did adjust the valves but maybe I can try adjusting valves again. PLEASE HELP! with any solutions or suggestions. Hopefully I am almost there. Thanks for all the help dudes.
This clinches it for me that your carb is still the problem, especially after setting the valves for a second time. Again, I don't know what Chem-Dip is, but I use Gunk carb cleaner from WalMart. I also take the time to clean out each passage with a small diameter wire, typically a staple. Don't rely on a chemical to dissolve or dislodge whatever is blocking jets. All that said, if you can bolt on your new stock carb, so much the better. This bike will run, we just need to get to the bottom of it.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:23 AM   #45

I agree

My 78 year old back yard mechanic dad convinced me to buy a carb cleaning set of carb cleaning wires and clean my carb out old school style. Thanks alot dude. i dont know what else is more difficult, working on Network Servers or these dirt bikes.

Michael A