Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2017, 06:03 PM   #1

Alaska Cancelled this year but not the fun

So my Alaska trip kept getting delayed as the weather in BC, Hyder, Yukon was just rain and more rain so we kept delaying and we finally ran out of time for my buddy. I guess I'll just have to do the big Alaska route next year as I had already been planning.
But just because this trip got cancelled doesn't mean my buddy and I couldn't get out for a mini-adventure. It started with us taking back-roads from the Seattle area down to Hood River, OR. This took us right past Mt. St. Helens and then as we hit Oregon we could see Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams. We stayed the night at my buddies parents place and then we headed over the Cascade Locks and the Bridge of the Gods to start the Washington Back-Country Discovery Route. This is a 6 section route that is mostly dirt and goes from Oregon to Canada straight up the Cascade mountain range. Each section is somewhere between 75 and 125 miles so the RX3 could make each section on a single tank. Each section ends coming into a town with food, water, fuel, lodging (hotel/motel or camping). Based on my buddies schedule he only had 4 days to do this trip so we used the first day to ride to Oregon, Day 2 we did the 122 mile section one and 73 miles of section 2 which is a total of 121 miles in length. We did some wild camping and then finished section 2 and the 75 miles section 3 the next day and rode home. Most of this BDR is made up of nice forest service roads but also has some narrow washed out stuff, logs and some seriously nasty climbs and descents with huge rocks. Those last ones took me down 3 times during the ride. Twice climbing and once going down. No real damage. Slightly bent crash bar that I was able to kick back into place and I cracked my windscreen as my added wind deflector put enough stress on it to crack on one of the offs. I used a special lexan/plexiglas glue that basically welds it back together and put some 3M clear tape over that. Seems to be holding. I believe this was crashes 33 through 35 for the bike. Still running awesome! I wrote up the story and sent it to CSC who put it on the blog along with some of the pictures. I hope you enjoy it.

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=26166

Old 07-19-2017, 07:07 PM   #2

Thanks for the update, Joe.

No doubt that you will eventually make the Alaska trip.

Great ride report with photos on the CSC blog.

jb

Old 07-27-2017, 10:47 PM   #3

Thumbs Up Keeping score.

"I believe this was crashes 33 through 35 for the bike."

Some folks record miles accumulated, some go by oil changes, others by tires worn out. I think Joe has broken new ground. Keep it up!

Old 07-28-2017, 12:42 AM   #4

Great write up Joe and very nice pics. Any of you north westerners going to Sound Rider Rally in Hood Oregon end of next month? I will try and make it if work allows, get one last ride in before winter. rj

Old 07-28-2017, 02:41 PM   #5

The RX3 is a strong bike, I have had a great many offs as well and the worst damage was bent engine guards and that happened on a single track trail on a very wet and rainy day. I have even broken through ice on the bike (I ride all year in Pennsylvania) and it kept going like a champ, approximately 5K miles in a little over a year and most of the miles are fire roads and trails.