Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 06:36 PM   #1

swing arm problem?

I just now noticed today that my swing arm on the chain side has a "dent" on the underside up near the front? As observant as I am...it could have been there since I got it? I have not ridden off road at all, I have not hit any big chuckholes or anything and needless to say, I cant figure out how it would dent on the underside anyways? I though, maybe when it was removed fromt ehcrate for assembly, the swingarm fell down hard against the bottom and did it, but still....? It doesn't appear to have changed the angle of the arm or anything, just an unsightly dent that looks more and more unsightly everytime I look at it now! Will it be a problem? Has anyone ever changed one of these out? Has anyone ever had this happen to them so I may know how it happened? Any help at all appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #2

Did you buy it mailorder or from dealer? Try to see if they will send you a new one. It won't hurt to try.

Allen

Old 06-05-2007, 10:28 PM   #3

Buymore,
That's a tough question, I don't own a jackstand and I don't remember the last time I was laying on my garage floor looking up, was many years ago and involved alot of alcohol... May be shipping damage, post a pic...

Old 06-05-2007, 10:40 PM   #4

It's actually enough of a dent that it bulges slightly out on the sides at the point of the dent. The top of the swing arm looks exactly the same as the other side, a far as same lines. I really dont think it is bent or out of line with the other side, just looks ugly! Sort of looks like when you put a jack under a new car in the wrong place!!!! The sheet metal is dented and bulged around that dent. I did buy it from a dealer, so I called the dealer I bought it off today and the receptionist said he was out today all day and would call me back tomorrow. She did say they could definately get the part, but to wait to talk to him about it. I told her right now it doesn't appear to me to be a functional issue, but I really dont like the look of it either! I told her even if I have to buy one, I will most likely want it to at least make it look right. I just bought it May 25th. I only have about 110 miles on it now. I was just trying to prepare myself and be honest to him about it. I really dont see how this could happen after the bike is assembled? Even if I had bottomed out or jumped it (which I couldn't do if I tried) this is the exact opposite of what should happen, right? The only way I could see the arm travelling down and hitting hard is if it were disconnected. I know I read someplace about some of these coming in the crate with the shock disconnected so the seat sits lower in the crate. If they lifted it up and suddenly the wheel dropped free, it could hit against that lower chain guard and chain hard enough to dent it right where it's dented. He also could have dented it hooking the shock up if he left a wrench attached at the bottom and forgot about it. Lots of scenerios, actually, but non involve me riding it! I just wish I would have caught it then! Oh well, worse case scenerio, I have to buy a new one! I will post on what the dealer says tomorrow when I call back.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:49 PM   #5

I bet is was like that when you got. More than likely it shouldn't hurt anything, should it?

Old 06-05-2007, 10:58 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
I think it's a warranty thing....They should cover it in my opinion.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter