Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 02:27 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to PorterzCustomz
CT REG Questions Plz Help!

I live in CT and have a new GY2 I just bought. On the certificate of origin it says dirtbike. I was told by a few members I may have issues registering it but the dealer said it would be no problem.

Does anyone know if the GY2's are legal in CT?

Does it need to be inspected?
I called a bike dealer in the area and they said for an enduro there is no inspection needed on a new bike but they were not 100% sure.

I want to know what to expect before I pay to have it ins and then drive to the DMV and wait in line for a few hours. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thank you!!

Old 04-19-2008, 02:39 PM   #2

You do have the MCO, then, so that is good. Take the bill of sale and MCO to the DMV, and sacrifice a couple of hours, get to the front of the line, and see what the clerk says. Then, ask to speak to supervisor, and take notes about what supervisor says is the procedure (this is assuming the first person, the clerk, didn't give you the answer you wanted to hear!)

Another route, much quicker, is to see if there are any off-site DMV offices that do most of the DMV stuff without the huge lines of people with fake documents in front of you. We have those here in AZ (both people with fake documents clogging our MVD offices, as well as off-site offices that make it very convenient) which are very convenient ways to get plates. See if you have them there.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-19-2008, 02:39 PM   #3

I am in Texas but the same should apply. Call and tell them you want to be fully prepaired for registration. Ask them what will be needed and any info that would make it easier for them/you. I would not bring up the dirt bike wording if it was me.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:35 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to maf119l
The rules and procedures vary from state to state.Call your local DMV office and ask them first since they will be the one's you will have to registure it with.In Mississippi it was real simple.Took about 20 minutes. Gave them the MCO,Bll of Sale and they called Tom who i bought it from(RPM on this site) verified the information,paid for the tag and registration fee and was good to go.Went and had the vehicle inspection (same as a car)done.None of them even asked for my insurance papers.Went same way with the Johnny Pag,which i actually did a cuple of months before i got the Lifan.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
I am in Texas but the same should apply. Call and tell them you want to be fully prepaired for registration. Ask them what will be needed and any info that would make it easier for them/you. I would not bring up the dirt bike wording if it was me.
In my state you cannot call them. They have a statewide number with recored messages about basic stuff but they don't let you speak with anyone. :roll:

Old 04-19-2008, 05:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterzCustomz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
In my state you cannot call them. They have a statewide number with recored messages about basic stuff but they don't let you speak with anyone. :roll:
Well that Bites. I still would get the bike inspected and get any documents to show it was inspected first. You need the attitude that it WILL get street legal. You can do it.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:05 AM   #7

Porterz, see if this helps...

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=810&q=245078

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 04-20-2008, 10:05 AM   #8

The following documents will be required in order to register a new vehicle:

Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin assigned by dealer to new owner, listing any lien holders.
Federal Odometer Statement.
Bill of Sale issued by dealership.
Application for Registration and Certificate of Title (form H-13). Sales tax information must be completed on the application.
A current Connecticut Insurance Identification Card, which can be obtained from your insurance company. The insurance card must be in the name of registered owner(s) of vehicle. If vehicle is being leased, the insurance card may be in the name of the lessee.
Identification will be required to register a vehicle. Please see list of Acceptable Forms of Identification.

You can probably print the forms online and fill them out in advance. I didn't see anything that says you need an inspection.

You receipt from ATVD should be good enough for a bill of sale and then the MCO you got from them.

If you paid tax to ATVD make sure you have something showing that too.

Allen

Old 04-20-2008, 10:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
The following documents will be required in order to register a new vehicle:

Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin assigned by dealer to new owner, listing any lien holders.
Federal Odometer Statement.
Bill of Sale issued by dealership.
Application for Registration and Certificate of Title (form H-13). Sales tax information must be completed on the application.
A current Connecticut Insurance Identification Card, which can be obtained from your insurance company. The insurance card must be in the name of registered owner(s) of vehicle. If vehicle is being leased, the insurance card may be in the name of the lessee.
Identification will be required to register a vehicle. Please see list of Acceptable Forms of Identification.

You can probably print the forms online and fill them out in advance. I didn't see anything that says you need an inspection.

You receipt from ATVD should be good enough for a bill of sale and then the MCO you got from them.

If you paid tax to ATVD make sure you have something showing that too.

Allen
Thanks! But what is a fed odometer statement? I did not get anything but the bos and coo

Old 04-20-2008, 10:34 AM   #10

I would bring the bike to the DMV office. They just asked me how many miles it had at time of purchase and I told them.

Allen

Old 04-20-2008, 10:39 AM   #11

The info is posted above was from the link posted by culcune.

I googled fed odo statement and got this.
http://www.dps.state.la.us/omv/forms/odometer.pdf

The would probably suffice if they even asked for one.

I would go down there with the bike in you truck/trailer/trunk and bring all the paperwork you got plus the insurance card.

Give the person the MCO and bill of sale and then the other forms as they ask for them.

Probably won't be a big deal.

Allen

Old 04-20-2008, 11:26 AM   #12

that you very much!

Old 04-20-2008, 11:45 AM   #13

Go give it a try. If they don't give you tag the first time at least they will tell you what to bring the next time.

It seems that alot of the new england states are alittle more lenient.

Allen

Old 04-20-2008, 12:56 PM   #14

porterz, the link I sent you was directly from CT's DMV, and was for the same scenario as yours--buying a brand new bike, not from a dealer. They do make it sound a little too easy to be true.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 04-20-2008, 12:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune
porterz, the link I sent you was directly from CT's DMV, and was for the same scenario as yours--buying a brand new bike, not from a dealer. They do make it sound a little too easy to be true.
yea I know. thank you!!

Closed Thread