Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2014, 02:13 AM   #1

Gio Monster Air Filter Mod

I did this mod several years ago, before I joined this forum. Since I was working on the quad this past weekend, it seemed a good time to share the upgrade.

The stock airbox was awful, and it was very difficult to get to. The entire front half of the body had to come off for access, and that means the filter will be neglected.

I used the stock boot from the original airbox, and I inserted a piece of ABS pipe and clamped it. I cut a hole in the plastic under the seat, brought the ABS through the hole and clamped a Uni pod filter onto the pipe.

I also cut up an old water jug and zip tied the plastic to the frame to act as a splash shield.

The filter has always been dry since the mod.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-30-2014, 02:15 AM   #2

Since I had also swapped a Monster muffler onto the quad, I drilled the main jet out to a 117. It starts and runs great, although I might have gone a little far with the main jet size. I'll try another one eventually.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #3

I checked my spare GY6 carb, and the stock main jet is 103. I have some spare jets around from Pastor Jim's 250 Saga (that he sold), so I'll experiment and see what works. I'm guessing that a 110 will do the trick.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:53 PM   #4

I popped a 110 into the carb tonight. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #5

Nice mod there.... But where did you find preside drill bits for the carb jets?

Old 11-25-2014, 12:46 PM   #6

I use a numbered and lettered drill bit index, which is easily found at Harbor Freight. Just let Google do the math for you.

For example, a 30mm Mikuni comes with a 100 main jet, which means 1.00mm. 1.00mm is really close to 0.040", which translates to a #60 drill bit.

To drill out a main jet to something near 110 (or 1.10mm), select the #57 drill bit, which is 0.043", or 1.092mm.

It's much faster than buying new jets, every time you wish to experiment. BTW, I already had a numbered and lettered drill index, for use with drilling holes properly for tapping. The carb jet use is just a bonus.